Undoubtedly, Australia is a horse racing nation. This is evidenced by the various tournaments conducted throughout the year. Autumn is fast approaching. Therefore, trainers, jockeys, horses, and fans are preparing for the coming season’s racing carnival. But before that, there’s one summer race you can’t afford to miss – the Magic Millions Classic. This article discusses the details of this race and other information to catch when autumn finally arrives.
The Magic Millions Classic
The Magic Millions 2022 will take place on 15 January, Saturday. All roads will be leading to Gold Coast Racecourse in Queensland. The day will witness a buzz of activities going down in the tracks. Some of the contests include:
- Magic Millions Two-Year-Old Classic (2YO Classic)
- Magic Millions Three-Year-Old Classic (3YO Classic)
- Magic Millions Racing Women’s Initiative
- Magic Million Yearling Sale (1)
This day is considered the first of the prominent race days for the year as thousands gather to witness the action unfold. It may also be because the day’s activities sum up to around USD$7.3 million. (2)
Magic Millions 2YO Classic
With set weights on their backs, 16 two-year-old horse graduates from the Magic Millions Sales compete along a 1,200-m track to make it to the finish line first. And each jockey knows they should give their best to win as the race has an attractive prize of about USD$1.4 million. (3)
A brief history
Interestingly, this race is named so because of the prize money. It was run first in 1987, with the horse Snippets winning the race. Since then, many outstanding two-year-olds, such as Capitalist, Phelan Ready, Dance Hero, among other exceptional horses, have won it. This year, Shaquero emerged as the winner.
In 1992, Clan O’Sullivan set the record by finishing the race in 1.08.46. To date, no horse has managed to break this record yet as the average racing time is 1 minute and 10 seconds.
If you’re a punter, you can go through the Magic Millions form guide for further tips on betting. Some of the key points to consider include the horse’s:
- Gender:Fillies won 11 of the last 16 races.
- Position in key lead-up races:These are the Phelan Ready Stakes, Doomben, Gold-Coast two-year-old races.
- Career runs:Consider a horse with at least two career records.
Additionally, you can visit bookie sites for more betting tips. These may help you make favourable odds and get a successful win.
The top 10 races for the Autumn Racing Carnival
From March to May 2022, a series of horse races will happen around major Australian cities, including Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide. And these are the races marking the Autumn Racing Carnival. Some of the notable ones are:
- Neds Blue Diamond Stakes:2YO horses will compete in a 1,200-m race. The prize pool is around USD$1.06 million, with the winner bagging approximately USD$641,341. It goes down at Caulfield in Melbourne.
- Golden Slipper:This will be held at Sydney’s Rosehill Gardens Racecourse. It’s a 1,200-m race for 2YO horses. The horses compete for the first position to get around USD$2.4 million from the ~USD$3.5-million prize purse. For this big prize pool, it’s the world’s richest juvenile race. (4)
- The Australian Guineas:This is a mile-long race for 3YO horses held at Flemington, Melbourne. The prize is about USD$712,601, with the winner getting around USD$427,673.
- The Australian Cup:This is a2,000-m weight-for-age race held in Flemington. The winner gets approximately USD$641,509 from the total prize pool of around USD$1.06 million.
- The All-Star Mile:It’s unique and still in its initial years as it was first held in 2019 only. It takes place in Caulfield, Flemington, or Moonee Valley, where horses three years old or above run for a mile to compete for about USD$1.6 million from the ~USD$3.5-million prize pool. (5)
- Queen Elizabeth Stakes:This is a 2,000-m long horse race held in Randwick Racecourse under weight-for-age conditions. The horses compete for a share from the ~USD$2.8-million prize purse.
- Sydney Cup:Held in Randwick Racecourse, this is a 3,200-m handicap race with a prize pool of about USD$1.4 million.
- Australian Oaks: This is a 2,400-m race held in Randwick Racecourse under set weight conditions. The prize money is approximately USD$712,788.
- The Newmarket Handicap:This is a top sprint race in Melbourne held on Super Saturday in Flemington. It’s a 1,200-m long race with a prize pool of around USD$890,985. The winner goes home with approximately USD$534,591.
- Queen of the Turf Stakes:Held in Randwick Racecourse, this is a mile-long race for horses competing for a share from a prize pool of around USD$712,788.
If you’re a horse racing fan, you know with every season, there’s a lot for you in Australia. And with autumn coming up, you should prepare for the races listed here. However, when autumn comes, remember that January 2022 is the month of the prominent Magic Millions Classic, and you wouldn’t want to miss it. If you’re a punter, this article gives you a heads-up for betting on next year’s races. And you’d be wise to begin your preparations by gathering betting tips early enough.
- “The Star Gold Coast Magic Millions Raceday”, Source: https://www.magicmillions.com.au/racedays/gold-coast/
- “Punters could be feeling a little HORSE tomorrow as they let their hair down in wild scenes at the Magic Millions Classic on the Gold Coast – as animal rights protesters try to hijack the event and clash with police”, Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9154161/Punters-let-hair-Magic-Millions-Gold-Coast-protesters-attempt-hijack-event.html
- “Coolangatta installed short favourite for Magic Millions 2YO Classic”, Source: https://www.news.com.au/sport/superracing/coolangatta-installed-short-favourite-for-magic-millions-2yo-classic/news-story/49b5dadcf8eea7215e5697ec98bd28cc
- “Golden Slipper 2022: More than 2300 entries for world’s richest juvenile race”, Source: https://www.news.com.au/sport/superracing/golden-slipper-2022-more-than-2300-entries-for-worlds-richest-juvenile-race/news-story/4267d5e6dee92465ca11f76979a4f119
- “WHAT IS THE ALL-STAR MILE?”, Source: https://www.allstarmile.com.au/about