To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Slow cooked Pork Shoulder recipe (Help)

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Slow cooked Pork Shoulder recipe (Help)

Post by Tricky Tree »

Found a slow cooked pork shoulder recipe a couple of years back but can never find it again (was on timesonline or similar - rather than a normal recipe site)

Pork Shoulder
1 Lime (juice and zest)
Thumb Ginger
6 Garlic cloves
Corriander (seeds I think)
Olive oil

Have done it today but wish I could find the actual recipe

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Slow cooked Pork Shoulder recipe (Help)

Post by blahblah »

A couple of Star Annis in there would have been good?

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

From Times online - June 2008
Slow-cooked shoulder of pork

The recipe as they serve it at Quo Vardis in Dean Street, W1
Published: 8 June 2008
Recommend (0) Print
Serves 4-6

1.5kg-1.8kg shoulder of pork, boned and rolled
100ml vegetable oil (approximately)
3 tbsp rock salt
Pork bones (or a wire rack)
1 large sprig of thyme
3 bay leaves
5 juniper berries
175ml white wine
A little pork or chicken stock, for the gravy

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Score the pork skin and drizzle over a generous amount of vegetable oil. Rub in the rock salt.

Place the bones or wire rack in a heavy roasting tray, then lay the meat on top. Roast for 1 hour, basting regularly with the juices from the meat, then add the herbs and the juniper berries and cook untouched for a further 3 hours. Remove from the tray and pour off as much of the fat as possible. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.

In the roasting tray, remove and discard the herbs and berries and add a glass of white wine to deglaze the pan. Add a little stock, reduce to taste and serve.
Not with lemon though

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Here's another one
Slow-cooked pork with chorizo and beans
Spanish pork’n’beans. Yee-ha! Or maybe that should be “Olé!” Either way, this just needs a green salad on the side and a glass or two of serious red. The skin of the pork will end up softly chewy rather than crackled, though that doesn’t detract in the slightest from its deliciousness.

Serves 6
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp smoked hot paprika (pimenton picante)
2 tsp fennel seed
Leaves from 4 twigs of thyme
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
1.5kg boneless rolled pork shoulder, skin on
200g chorizo, peeled if necessary and cut into half-moons
3 medium onions, finely chopped
2 pinches of saffron threads
2 bay leaves
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
200ml red wine
2 x 400g tins white haricot beans, drained and rinsed
250ml chicken stock
Finely chopped parsley

For the aïoli
2 egg yolks
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
200ml extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Mix half the garlic with the smoked paprika, fennel seeds, thyme leaves and lemon zest. Stir in 1 tsp sea salt and 2 tbsp olive oil, then smear the mixture over the pork, working it well into the skin and the crevices of the meaty side; leave to marinate in the fridge for at least a couple of hours or overnight.

Heat the oven to 160C/Gas Mark 3. In a large frying pan, cook the chorizo for a couple of minutes until it gives up some of its oil. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, plus the onion, remaining garlic, saffron and bay leaves and cook gently over a low to medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often, until soft and golden. Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes more until sweet and rich, adding the red wine halfway through.

Tip the mixture into the bottom of a roasting tin. Put the marinated pork on top, cover with a double layer of foil and put in the oven. Cook for 4 hours until the meat is on the verge of falling apart. Remove the foil and carefully tip most of the liquid from the sauce into a bowl, leaving the tomatoes and onions in the tin. Leave it to settle for a few minutes, then scoop off and discard the fat with a small ladle (or suck the rich juices from under the fat with a baster, if you have one).

Pour the defatted sauce back into the pan around the pork and stir in the beans and stock. Return to the oven, uncovered, and turn up the heat to 220C/Gas Mark 7. Cook for another 25 minutes so that the sauce around the beans thickens a little.

While the meat is in the oven, make the aïoli. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, mustard and garlic, then gradually drip in the oil, whisking all the time, until the mixture starts to thicken. Keep on whisking as you add the rest of the oil in a steady stream. Season, tip into a small bowl and put to one side.

Serve the pork and beans in wide bowls, putting a heap of beans on the bottom, then some torn chunks of pork, then a scattering of chopped parsley. Add a blob of aïoli on the side, stirring it into the sauce as you eat.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Cheers Stuboy, neither are the ones but may try them in future.

Mrs Tree does love the garlic/ginger/corriander/lime combo though

+ Red Kale, Carrotts, Roasties (I think mine would win awards - not very modest I know but I have never tasted better)

+ gravy from all those flavours ...yum

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Post by DixieDean »

So how do you do your roasties TT?

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

I asume same as most so no idea why mine seem so good (and popular)

Boil potatoes for 20 minutes on low heat (that helps more than a rapid boil where all the starch comes out I think)

Allow to cool slightly and shake to roughen the outside

Pour hot (sunflower) oil in pan of pots to help fully coatd and season well and rosemary also.

Put in oven at 220 and add smashed garlic in pan to flavour oil

Normally need to add a little more oil periodically (olive oil this time)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Tricky Tree wrote:I asume same as most so no idea why mine seem so good (and popular)

Boil potatoes for 20 minutes on low heat (that helps more than a rapid boil where all the starch comes out I think)

Allow to cool slightly and shake to roughen the outside

Pour hot (sunflower) oil in pan of pots to help fully coatd and season well and rosemary also.

Put in oven at 220 and add smashed garlic in pan to flavour oil

Normally need to add a little more oil periodically (olive oil this time)
I hear your crispy roast potato's are a bit too crispy these days...

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

:lol: they were very good, perfect amount of crispness. Mrs tree may of course say different.

Bizarrely it was this very dish we had last night !

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I've got some Pork in the freezer - might give that shoulder recipe a go at the weekend. It'll go down a treat after a day at Trent Bridge.

Bought half a pig a few weeks back (Organic Gloucester Old Spot straight off the farm - happy pigs fed on proper food and they taste great :D ) and still got some belly, shoulder, loin and chops left.

I'll send you the dentist bill for any collateral damage from the roast spuds.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Ive prepared a pulled pork for tonight. Salt/Brown sugar & paprika rub, done for an hr at 200 then 5 hrs at 125. rested, pulled and re seasoned with Salt/Brown sugar & paprika and has been resting since 11pm last night. Ill need to warm it before I serve it this evening but I'm thinking some sort of glaze would add to it just prior to serving?

What say you?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”