To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

A host-less Euros?

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

A host-less Euros?

Post by forestfan »

That's Platini's latest crackpot plan due to the lack of bidders for 2020... I guess the whisperings about a potential English bid had to make him come up with an alternative!

Potentially suggesting playing it in 12 cities across Europe. No doubt teams would be playing in Moscow one day and Madrid three days later... would certainly lose the tournament atmosphere with no central host and no country playing at home except by the luck of the draw.

If nobody can afford to put in a credible bid for the finals, could always reduce it back to 16 teams, but that would be too sensible I guess!

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Re: A host-less Euros?

Post by rossn13 »

forestfan wrote:That's Platini's latest crackpot plan due to the lack of bidders for 2020... I guess the whisperings about a potential English bid had to make him come up with an alternative!

Potentially suggesting playing it in 12 cities across Europe. No doubt teams would be playing in Moscow one day and Madrid three days later... would certainly lose the tournament atmosphere with no central host and no country playing at home except by the luck of the draw.

If nobody can afford to put in a credible bid for the finals, could always reduce it back to 16 teams, but that would be too sensible I guess!
If they're struggling to find a host why don't they just give it to a country with the infrastructure already in place? I.E. England, Germany, Italy or France. I would mention Spain if they weren't bankrupt!

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

rossn13 wrote:
forestfan wrote:That's Platini's latest crackpot plan due to the lack of bidders for 2020... I guess the whisperings about a potential English bid had to make him come up with an alternative!

If they're struggling to find a host why don't they just give it to a country with the infrastructure already in place? I.E. England, Germany, Italy or France. I would mention Spain if they weren't bankrupt!
I've been thinking that we should put our hat in the ring for Euro 2028 - there is no way UEFA will award 2020 to the Celtic nations, and then give the 2024 champs to their neighbours. I'm hoping it'd go; Celtic 2020, Turkey 2024, England 2028, Scandinavia 2032, Italy or Spain 2036 (whichever of these doesn't host the next WC in Europe after Russia).

As for this 'cities' concept, clearly bonkers for the Euros - if nothing else, where would the atmosphere of a host nation go? - however, UEFA celebrate their 75th anniversary 2029, so why don't UEFA propose a special championship? The following format could be used:
  • 53 UEFA nations plus Brazil and Argentina
  • Divided into 11 groups of 5 teams, playing home and away over from mid April to May (8 matches) [would require club season to end very early as a one-off]
  • The 11 group winner advance directly to Round of 16, while all the runners-up (except the single worst one) go in to home-away play-offs for the 5 remaining spots
  • Round of 16 through to Final is played on a home and away legs basis throughout June and July (8 matches)
  • 16-18 matches in all

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

It makes some sense if 12 means 2 cities covering each of the planned 6 groups. e.g. one could be based in London and one of Manchester / Glasgow / Dublin / Paris etc.

Probably have to mean not every country hosting plays at home (or even qualifies) unless it is overly 'rigged'.

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

Maybe it would reduce costs. But wouldn't be as beneficial for the hosting countries? would you get as many people travelling to the cities when there are so many to choose from or stay at home? England have the stadia and everything else in place. But it was only 96 we held it last so wouldnt get it again for a while.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

Platini could make it a Euro Championship hosted in the British Isles, with the five nations having a group of their own in 'qualification' to ensure at least one of them got through.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

Tacalabala wrote:
rossn13 wrote:

I've been thinking that we should put our hat in the ring for Euro 2028 - there is no way UEFA will award 2020 to the Celtic nations, and then give the 2024 champs to their neighbours. I'm hoping it'd go; Celtic 2020, Turkey 2024, England 2028, Scandinavia 2032, Italy or Spain 2036 (whichever of these doesn't host the next WC in Europe after Russia).

As for this 'cities' concept, clearly bonkers for the Euros - if nothing else, where would the atmosphere of a host nation go? - however, UEFA celebrate their 75th anniversary 2029, so why don't UEFA propose a special championship? The following format could be used:
  • 53 UEFA nations plus Brazil and Argentina
  • Divided into 11 groups of 5 teams, playing home and away over from mid April to May (8 matches) [would require club season to end very early as a one-off]
  • The 11 group winner advance directly to Round of 16, while all the runners-up (except the single worst one) go in to home-away play-offs for the 5 remaining spots
  • Round of 16 through to Final is played on a home and away legs basis throughout June and July (8 matches)
  • 16-18 matches in all
Planning for 2036 very impressive. Wish you were in Government :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It has been posted on here a few times that this would be good for Qualifying. Forget all the midweek stuff during the season, just have the Groups based in different places and get them done in a week or so in the "odd" years......

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

agree Blah. Used in other FIFA areas (something similar happens in the early rounds of OFC qualifying due to the remoteness of the island nations).

You could easily hold a multi-nation Euros - say London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam - travel surely no worse then Poland/Ukraine :?:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

tommymooney wrote:agree Blah. Used in other FIFA areas (something similar happens in the early rounds of OFC qualifying due to the remoteness of the island nations).

You could easily hold a multi-nation Euros - say London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam - travel surely no worse then Poland/Ukraine :?:
But it's not ideal, is it? I very much doubt UEFA will want to go down that road for a while again, and having a Europe wide competition would absolutely compound that. Even the Russian World Cup will try to minimise this by having the groups in regions, though their use of Kaliningrad is still perplexing.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

You haven't seen their plans for Brazil :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

blahblah wrote:You haven't seen their plans for Brazil :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yes, Manaus will become a by-word for ignoring the fans. All the more ridiculous considering Engehao in Rio and Morumbi is SP won't get a look in.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_world_cup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fair bit of flying for "fans" :wink:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

indeed, but a group stage knockout for England, coming 3rd in a group with Paraguay and USA in should reduce the air miles :wink:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Still, I think the Brazil WC will be a special one, I hope it'll be a classic.

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

Tacalabala wrote:Still, I think the Brazil WC will be a special one, I hope it'll be a classic.
When do you think the last classic one was?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

golden bear wrote:
Tacalabala wrote:Still, I think the Brazil WC will be a special one, I hope it'll be a classic.
When do you think the last classic one was?
Probably before I can remember, but then, doesn't everyone say that?

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

I'd say Italia 90 but that may been because England did well. I think 98 was quite good.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

There hasn't been a WC I thought was poor, even 2006 had great moments - Maxi's goal vs Mexico, Lehmann and the notes, Zidane's headbutt. I think Brazil in 2002 didn't and continue not to get the respect they deserve - England were actually great that tournament, but Brazil just swept them aside. Ronaldo was class.

Zoolander
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Yahoo Fantasy Golf FISO Champion 2009 & 2012, TFF MOTM winner Jan 2012, Tinkerman weekly winner, OFL Golf 2012 - 8th, Fantasy Race To Dubai 2012 - 4th,

Post by Zoolander »

Nostalgia wise, it's Italia 90 but in truth much of the football was poor with possibly the worst final ever.

I really enjoyed Germany 2006.

golden bear
Dumbledore

Post by golden bear »

Well 2010 was all round shite. Worst ever in my book.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

golden bear wrote:Well 2010 was all round shite. Worst ever in my book.
You're just getting old and bitter :lol:

The one in the Far East with the very dodgy refereeing was a shocker.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:
golden bear wrote:Well 2010 was all round shite. Worst ever in my book.
You're just getting old and bitter :lol:

The one in the Far East with the very dodgy refereeing was a shocker.
Japan/Korea was incredible for shocks though, even if the quality of football and refereeing was patchy to say the least. And of course it was (original) Ronaldo's tournament, he owned it more than anyone else has done a single tournament since Maradona.

Recent ones have all had their moments, although the Vuvuzela World Cup was a very slow starter, but Euros 2000, '08 and '12 have all generally produced better quality football on the whole. Only the Greek borefest in '04 fell short, and the group stages weren't bad even then.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I sensed that the shocks in the Far East weren't too much of a shock for the organisers :wink:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

I liked 94 - enjoyed Bulgaria's run...

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

It was a set up to try and allow England to win it, Wales played away to Italy and 2 matches in Asia in the group stage and then travelled the length of Europe to play in the knockout stage with no Welsh fans allowed to attend, yet their opponents fans were allowed to attend, even if Wales had won they would have to have traveled back out to Asia again, England only once had to leave North London.

If Wales had had England's draw Wales would have made the semi finals again, if England had Wales draw, then England might not have got out of the group, it was a ridiculously unfair competition set up by the authorities.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

So England arranged for the Covid pandemic and made countries close their borders and refuse to host games just so we had an easier travel plan for Euro 2020 and Wales had a harder one.

Remove your chips.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

England were given home game after home by the organisers when other teams had no home games at all.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

trampie wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 12:07 England were given home game after home by the organisers when other teams had no home games at all.
Wembley agree to host games, nobody else would. Handy but, sorry, no conspiracy.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

murf wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 12:09
trampie wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 12:07 England were given home game after home by the organisers when other teams had no home games at all.
Wembley agree to host games, nobody else would. Handy but, sorry, no conspiracy.
The Millennium stadium applied to host games, it was thought that the authorities did not want to give more games to the UK because the English had been given so many games.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”