To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Metro Euro 2012 fantasy game

A Fantasy Football forum for news and comment on Metro Premier Fantasy Football.
nigel1305
Grumpy Old Hand
FS Record: Never Ever Feel Inferior

Re: Metro Euro 2012 fantasy game

Post by nigel1305 »

The current 'leader' has 1,593 points before deductions.

Assuming they have used 6 transfers and 6 Captain Changes that will be 400 points to come off to give a net score of 1,193.

I thnk some people may not have done captain changes for each game - (as it is quite risky) so I would image the leading score will be between 1,200 and 1,250 (net of deductions) with anything over 1,000 (net of deductions) a reasonably good score.

Still lots to play for as when the tournament goes into knockout phase there will be lots of tactics involved and all it takes is a (c) hat trick to change things dramatically.

To win overall you will probably have to get the overall winners of the tournament correct and change (to the right) captains nearly every game (ie not Ashley Young :cry: )

wandacatvenus
FISOhead
FS Record: 2017/18 - £5000 profit from Sky FF

Post by wandacatvenus »

I will be on 1093pts when the scores update.

PS - Anyone in the metro cash leagues here.

Also hope a lot of people have skewed their teams with
lots of Groups C and D players !!!!

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

nickchild wrote:Ah, so we think that those who have made their max transfers for round 1, can't make any changes until AFTER round 2 starts? Lucky I hadn't planned on bringing any Greek or Czech players in!
Damn - I was planning to bring in Petr Cech and a Greek defender. :wink:

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

nigel1305 wrote:Assuming they have used 6 transfers and 6 Captain Changes that will be 400 points .......

To win overall you will probably have to get the overall winners of the tournament correct and change (to the right) captains nearly every game (ie not Ashley Young :cry: )
.......or even 350 pts. I'm currently a bit bored waiting for things to happen so a bit of pedantry to while away the time.

You are massively over-estimating the skill/luck of all fantasy players. You make 65% good decisions over the period of a month and you'll win. I'll be happy with 40% good decisions.

City4United1
Red & Blue Braces

Post by City4United1 »

Striker wrote:
nigel1305 wrote:Assuming they have used 6 transfers and 6 Captain Changes that will be 400 points .......

.......or even 350 pts. I'm currently a bit bored waiting for things to happen so a bit of pedantry to while away the time.

You are massively over-estimating the skill/luck of all fantasy players. You make 65% good decisions over the period of a month and you'll win. I'll be happy with 40% good decisions.
I guess the maximum is 6 transfers (2 free) plus 7 captain changes (1 free) making 100 + 300 = 400 points cost. No? In fact, if people are really taking it to the extreme, they will do another captain change at the end of week 1 ready for the first match of week 2, so it could be 450 points. I think. Now I'm starting to get confused.

fairfranco
Red & Blue Braces

Post by fairfranco »

bit of a rookie mistake from me not noticing that you don't get your match week 2 transfers available till after the first match week 2 game kicks off!

bit of a strange rule, you'd think you'd get them so that you can use them then so get them after the last game from the previous week.

on the plus side i didn't really want to bring in any Greeks or Czech's and wanted Russian attack so nothing lost!

nigel1305
Grumpy Old Hand
FS Record: Never Ever Feel Inferior

Post by nigel1305 »

Striker wrote:

Based on the scores at the time of my post it would be:

6 * transfers - 2 free = 100 points
8 * CC - 1 free - 1 assume you captain in first game = 300

I think that is right :wink:

In respect of decision making here are some real 'Metroexperts' playing this game (not me I hasten to add) who read :wink: and use the scoring rules to good effect.

Add in 5 teams to enable base covering and it is a pretty high standard required to get near the top

THEWISEONE
Kevin and Perry

Post by THEWISEONE »

Expected to take a big dive in the rankings knowing I was going to loose 200 points, but went up from 440th to 241st, second team 453rd to 273rd. Even 3rd team who lost 250 points still went up a few places.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

It seems that nearly all the teams at the top used several captain changes with a deduction at the very top typically around 300-350, but a bit lower down the captain was changed far less often. Teams in the top 200 or so hundred went up if they had 250 pts deducted, but teams much below 500th with a similar deduction went down.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

Has everyone given up?

Upto 20th now (After Holland V Germany)

Would be higher if I had chosen the right Gameweek 2 Captains.

Leehweb
Treebeard

Post by Leehweb »

wandacatvenus wrote:Has everyone given up?

Just biding my time down in a very lowly 338 position... :cry: (what is your penalty points for for gameweek2 thus far :?:

One query though, gameweek 6 - The final.... It quotes...

"You will not receive any FREE Captain changes or Transfers (free or otherwise) at the start of Match Week 6. "

Does this mean, no transfers at all (free + penalty points) for the final?

I know I sound a little thick, but if true this sounds very harsh...

FUBU05
FISOhead

Post by FUBU05 »

Nope im still in with a shout. Gonna fight all the way :D

City4United1
Red & Blue Braces

Post by City4United1 »

Leehweb wrote: Does this mean, no transfers at all (free + penalty points) for the final?

As I understand it:
1. you can't use transfers before the week starts
2. The week starts at kick off for the first match
3. Week 6 only has 1 match

So (my understanding), transfers in week 6 are not very useful...

THEWISEONE
Kevin and Perry

Post by THEWISEONE »

4 Teams in top 350, top team 32nd. But why do I keep getting captain choices wrong. 5 captains tonight, Gomes, Ozil, RVP, Podolski but with Robben in top team. the right captain choices in this game can be the difference between winning or not.
What you all doing with your defenders. Mine are still all the original choices never changed one. 12 games and only 2 clean sheets so far.
One good thing with no definate qualifyers yet for Q-F should'nt be too many of the top players rested for third games.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

Deleted post (Added quote on post below)
Last edited by wandacatvenus on 14 Jun 2012, 08:22, edited 2 times in total.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

City4United1 wrote:
Leehweb wrote: Does this mean, no transfers at all (free + penalty points) for the final?

As I understand it:
1. you can't use transfers before the week starts
2. The week starts at kick off for the first match
3. Week 6 only has 1 match

So (my understanding), transfers in week 6 are not very useful...

And a Massive Problem also at the Start of game week 5.

I have E mailed the Metro last night to ask do they really
want a new gameweek to start at the same time as the
first SF game starts, so that in reality you cannot use any of your new transfer allocation for the first Semi Final.

The obvious solution is to start the game week earlier, on one of the Non playing days for example.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

So you want them to change the rules half way through the game? That's exactly the opposite of what i've been saying - repeatedly - since the launch. If you want transfers for the first sf, plan in advance.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

quizking wrote:So you want them to change the rules half way through the game? That's exactly the opposite of what i've been saying - repeatedly - since the launch. If you want transfers for the first sf, plan in advance.
I have Emailed for clarification, not to demand a rule change.

I am happy to run by any set of rules, but as we have seen in the past the Metro have changed the rules mid term and if a change does take place, i would rather it be before the Knockout phases, rather than in the middle of the Knockout phases.

I personally believe the Metros intention would be for people to be able to use their full allocation of new transfers for all 4 QFS and all 2 semi Finals.

If it was not myself raising this query, it would be someone else down the line.

As a courtesy, I will let you know the outcome of my enquiry.

PS - I could have kept quiet, to seek an advantage, but I believe this has got to be a mistake by The Metro, as it seriously makes the game less playable.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

No worries - but as we established a few weeks back, when metro changed rules mid-game before, it was gfm running the game; i'm hoping that fsb realise that they should not change the rules at all once the game has launched. I don't think this was a mistake - that's why there aren't any new transfer allocations for game week 6 as such, it would be meaningless as there would be no time for them to be actioned.

Art Vandelay
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: not bad

Post by Art Vandelay »

It is a bit odd that the new transfers are added after the start of the next set of games but as it's been that way through all the group games I don't see why the semis should be any different. They certainly shouldn't change anything now.

It would have been clearer and easier if they'd allocated the new trasnfers after the kickoff of the last game in the previous fixture set, Eg. the next lot would arrive just after the England game kicks off.

You've just got to take a gamble on who you think will win the quarters and make sure you've got plenty of players for the first semi-final.
wandacatvenus wrote:PS - Anyone in the metro cash leagues here.
I've got a couple of teams in the low stakes one. Unfortunately not my best two, but I'm doing okish. Hanging around 100-300th, likely to be considerably lower after tomorrow's games although I've only 100 captain change points to come off and the teams nicely set up for the next round.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

Reply received from the Metro (see my earlier post)

Question

Can I clarify the transfers for the Knockout stages (Not the Group stages) You can have 8 players per team in the knockout stages. However, the start time to make those transfers is 1945hrs (Ie when the first game in the QF and also the SF takes place) This means it will be impossible to have 8 players from one team playing in the first game of the quarter finals (25% of the fixtures) or indeed transfer any player from your new transfer allocation for the first game of the Semi Final (50% of the Semi Finals) As there are days with no games between the Group phase and Quarter Finals and also Quarter Finals and Semi Finals, why not move the start day back a day so that everone received their new transfer allocation in time for all the QFs and SFS., which must have been what you intended. I await your reply.

Answer

Thanks for your message on this - personally I was in favour of moving this forward for all Match Weeks, but your message has aided in that decision here with the start time of Match Week 4 (Quarter-Finals) and Match Week 5 (Semis) now being brought forward by 24 hours to allow for changes to be made ahead of these games. These changes have now been reflected in our Match Week schedule (http://fantasyfootball.metro.co.uk/EU_EF/how-to-play/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Thanks again for this! Damian

I personally feel this is the correct decision and say Well done to the Metro/FSB.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Personally, i think this is the wrong decision - yet again, and as predicted so many times earlier in this thread and before, a company changes game terms during the game. Yes it's a small detail and might not be of significance, but probably will be, as competitions are usually only won by a few points. My first thoughts are that i wasted time planning a strategy to bring in players in advance of games, but hey, most people won't notice the change anyway. Poor show Metro/FSB on two counts - on changing terms during a competition, and on not having planned the game properly in advance.

However, it's still an interesting game with a smart design, and it's good to see that damian/FSB are aware of the detailed issues that can arise in these games, which wasn't the case with the previous muppets i had spoken with (see earlier posts in the metro threads from around dec 2010/jan 2011). Hoping that "muppets" isn't blocked by the profanity filter, will find out soon enough.

Art Vandelay
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: not bad

Post by Art Vandelay »

I agree with quizking. Decide on the rules before the game starts then stick to them! Moving the goalposts once the game has begun is amateurish and undermines the integrity of the competition. Now, just like the Metro's 2008 Euro game, the person who wins will almost certainly be different to the person who'd have won under the original rules.

The thing that annoys me more than the rule changes is how they just quietly slip it in like it's no big deal. There should be a big warning notice on the home page saying "Warning - the rules have changed. Again"

Leehweb
Treebeard

Post by Leehweb »

Now up to 105th, but only one player tonight.... :o

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Art Vandelay wrote:I agree with quizking. Decide on the rules before the game starts then stick to them! Moving the goalposts once the game has begun is amateurish and undermines the integrity of the competition. Now, just like the Metro's 2008 Euro game, the person who wins will almost certainly be different to the person who'd have won under the original rules.

The thing that annoys me more than the rule changes is how they just quietly slip it in like it's no big deal. There should be a big warning notice on the home page saying "Warning - the rules have changed. Again"
Anyone serious about fantasy football reads Fiso right? :)

City4United1
Red & Blue Braces

Post by City4United1 »

I could do with a bit more cash for the knockout stages. Maybe I should email FSB?

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

Guys

Ask yourself an honest question.

Do you think this is the right decision, to aid the playability of the game?

Metro/FSB could have stuck by the original gameweek deadines and annoyed a lot of causual FF people (maybe work leagues at stake etc) who may have voyed never to play the game again.

Most people, (The exception being FISO Geeks such as myself) will not read in full the rules and regulations and are just casual players. FF games also need the casual player for them to be succesful and so it follows that that more professional players (The FISO Geeks again) need the caual players to also play, if the games are to continued to be run and prizes to be collected.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

City4United1 wrote:I could do with a bit more cash for the knockout stages. Maybe I should email FSB?
You mean you have not been planning your team in advance!

Just try using the contact us button.

I'll give you a 1000/1 on your wish being granted.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Infinity to one more like.

City4United1
Red & Blue Braces

Post by City4United1 »

Just for the record. It was a joke.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Metro Fantasy Football”