To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Wonder of Auntie

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

The Wonder of Auntie

Post by blahblah »

For those that watch more than Top Gear and don't moan about the License Fee:

BBC2 8pm How God made the English. Could be very good, or could be deluded garbage: A Chosen People? New series. The first of three documentaries in which Diarmaid MacCulloch, Professor of Church History at Oxford University, explores what it means to be English. He highlights the factors that have shaped England's identity over the centuries, pinpointing three broad traits commonly associated with the country. He begins by examining the notion that the English think themselves better than others, tracing its roots back to the Dark Ages and the Northumbrian monk Bede, who took the Jewish belief in a `chosen people' and applied it to his own countrymen

MacCulloch is a bit of a plank, imho, but, from memory he, was watchable in a previous "religious" monologue about Jerusalem et al.

PS BBC3 have the Kylie Dr Who on atm.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: The Wonder of Auntie

Post by blahblah »

Apologies, a plank.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

BBC4 9pm: The Two Thousand Year Old Computer
The efforts of an international team of scientists to solve the mysteries of the Antikythera Mechanism. The 2,000-year-old device was recovered from a Roman shipwreck off the southern coast of Greece in 1901, and is believed to be the world's oldest computer. The object appears to be designed to predict solar eclipses, and according to recent findings, calculate the timing of the ancient Olympics

I know of Astrolabes - some discs and a thing to point at the sun, which were the first clocks and stuff, but this is a new one on me.........

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

blahblah wrote:BBC4 9pm: The Two Thousand Year Old Computer
The efforts of an international team of scientists to solve the mysteries of the Antikythera Mechanism. The 2,000-year-old device was recovered from a Roman shipwreck off the southern coast of Greece in 1901, and is believed to be the world's oldest computer. The object appears to be designed to predict solar eclipses, and according to recent findings, calculate the timing of the ancient Olympics

I know of Astrolabes - some discs and a thing to point at the sun, which were the first clocks and stuff, but this is a new one on me.........
Any evidence the creator forgot his log in password?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Not been on yet :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

FISO is just as slow 2000 years on...... :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Wot? No budget defecit gags? :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

OK the computer thing was pants, apart from someone having put a clockwork thang on an astrolabe thang.

Jools is on with the amazing MsHarvieu, but what is Plan b doing on the programme :shock: :shock:

He looks like Paul Jewell :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

BBC Four has excelled the last couple of weeks.
Last Saturday was Bowie night, The genius of David Bowie and A Ziggy Stardust doc were superb.
This Friday it was The Real Pete: A New Music Documentary Revisits Quadrophenia.
Reminded me what a great album that is, and what an incredible songwriter Townshend was.
All still on iPlayer.
I can watch these and almost forgive Auntie for tripe like Eastenders.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Wallander is back next Sunday, can't wait.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Must also mention a great series of docs. on London streets.
BBC Two's The Secret History of Our Streets, the Caledonian Rd is the pick so far.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Starting in a couple of mins on BBC4

Storyville: Hitler, Stalin and Mr Jones
Documentary exploring the death of Welsh investigative journalist Gareth Jones, who revealed how Stalin's polices in the 1930s caused millions of deaths in Ukraine, and had the audacity to hitch a lift in Hitler's private jet. The film explores whether taking on the Soviet dictator and possibly breaching the fine line between journalism and spying led to the reporter's premature demise

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

In the midst of the Sovile thang, a reason to appreciate Auntie

Dionne Warwick doing "Make it easy on yourself" of Walker Brothers fame. So very different, obviously, and a massive WOW...

(Not to mention the flatlining at the end of Newsnight :shock: )

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

11:00pm Monday BBC3
Seven Ages of Starlight
About the evolution of the cosmos.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

A rippingly good Jools this week.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

BBC4 could have some inulgent Gregorian Chant on in a sec, when the twits stop talking........

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

An interesting thang on "Albums" on BBC4, Dylan being the first self-penned album and the LSD of The Doors are the first two....

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Oil City Confidential: Dr Feelgood

Director Julien Temple's film celebrates Canvey Island's Dr Feelgood, the Essex R 'n' B band that exploded out of the UK in the prog era of the early Seventies, delivering shows and albums that helped pave the way for pub rock and punk.
Just part of a good evening of music based programmes on BBC.

Tonight BBC FOUR 11.35.
Just a heads up for blues fans (not the Rafa out! brigade)

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Was flicking through the channels the other night (Wednesday) and came across 'All Aboard! The Canal Trip' on BBC Four. Caught my eye, cos I'm a simpleton who likes canals n shit. Anyway, turned out to be 2 hours of nothing but a camera strapped to the front of a barge/narrowboat travelling down the Kennet and Avon Canal. No presenter, no narration, no music. Just the sound of the gentle lapping of water, and the odd passing boat or jogger on the towpath. TWO. HOURS.

HEAVEN! :D

It it gets repeated, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Did Miss Marple solve the murder?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

moonlightdribbler wrote:Was flicking through the channels the other night (Wednesday) and came across 'All Aboard! The Canal Trip' on BBC Four. Caught my eye, cos I'm a simpleton who likes canals n shit. Anyway, turned out to be 2 hours of nothing but a camera strapped to the front of a barge/narrowboat travelling down the Kennet and Avon Canal. No presenter, no narration, no music. Just the sound of the gentle lapping of water, and the odd passing boat or jogger on the towpath. TWO. HOURS.

they're showing it again then. Part of their slow tv

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/m ... ce-slow-tv

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

The 12 hours of knitting I will probably have to record.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

moonlightdribbler wrote:Was flicking through the channels the other night (Wednesday) and came across 'All Aboard! The Canal Trip' on BBC Four. Caught my eye, cos I'm a simpleton who likes canals n shit. Anyway, turned out to be 2 hours of nothing but a camera strapped to the front of a barge/narrowboat travelling down the Kennet and Avon Canal. No presenter, no narration, no music. Just the sound of the gentle lapping of water, and the odd passing boat or jogger on the towpath. TWO. HOURS.

Sounds unmissable, when it comes on again I intend to record it and watch it while having a break from my exciting pc game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Surprised wrote:The 12 hours of knitting I will probably have to record.

I actually thought you were joking until I opened MVL's link...

The 3 hour trip around the National gallery in London though - would watch!

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Slow TV, at Christmas. You lucky, lucky people!

http://slowtelevision.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... de-on.html

"All Aboard! The Sleigh Ride will be broadcast on BBC4 on 24th December - Christmas Eve - from 8pm to 10pm and will hopefully add to the success of the Slow TV productions in the UK earlier in 2015."

"Over two hours the camera will show the scenery around Karasjok (for the English tongue, pronounced Karra-shock) in the northern Norwegian county of Finnmark. Like All Aboard! The Canal Trip broadcast in April, All Aboard! The Sleigh Ride will use a single camera to relate a continuous steady journey - the subject this time being a winter wonderland by reindeer and sledge."

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

moonlightdribbler wrote: All Aboard! The Sleigh Ride will be broadcast on BBC4 on 24th December - Christmas Eve - from 8pm to 10pm and will hopefully add to the success of the Slow TV productions in the UK earlier in 2015."

Great, innit?

What do you mean you're not watching it?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Interesting Shankley Docu thing on bbc2, should be on p-player tomorrow?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It was quite good apart from one annoying expletive smug wotsit.

Rip it Up (Scottish pop\rock\Orange Juice) has potential.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The Scots thang is very good

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”