To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Going travelling....

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Re: Going travelling....

Post by Footy66 »

Change of plan, I was thinking of travelling as my contract at work was going to run out at the end of the year but today they have extended my contract for 3 months. But I may trevel in the future sometime.....

Do you want beach parties and bungee jumping? Ancient monuments? Wildlife? Stunning scenery? A bit of everything, possibly? Let us know what interests you.

I would not want too much culture, monuments etc. I would be more interested in beautiful scenery, stunning beaches, amazing cities. I am not into rushing about, not knowing where I am staying, i'd like a pretty relaxed, chilled travelling experience, the whole asian thing does not really appeal to me mainly because of the food...I guess some areas are more 'English' for food than others. I think what I am saying is the more 'foreign' a country is the more I am put off and therefore Australia and America appeal more to me, although I would not mind a bit of Thailand (because of the beautiful beaches.

I think the best way to show you where i'd like to go is through a nice collage........

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

Skegness it is then! :P

Tbh, unless you go off the tourist trail Eurofood is everywhere in S.E. Asia & S. America. I ate great Mexican food in Cambodia and excellent Lebanese in La Paz. You can even get a great English cooked breakfast at 'Oh My Cod' in Bangkok with Wiltshire bacon, Bury black pudding and Heinz baked beans. God, did I need that! :lol: Honestly, don't let that limit you. Even Ho Chi Minh City has a K.F.C.! :wink:

Several pics from your collage remind me of Vietnam which (was very afforable) but given your extended contract (congrats, btw) why not save as much as you can and visit Australia and New Zealand if that's what you fancy, maybe even French Polynesia, too? And go for longer!
N.Z. should give you much of the above - tropical islands in the North, phenomenal scenery in the south and as many ways to experience near death as you could wish in Queenstown, S. Island. The food was 1970s England when done on the cheap. :( It's no cheaper than here, though, and you'd doubtless touch down in Oz en route. Unless you've got rellies there it'll cost.

Whatever you choose, save as much as you can now rather than wishing you had an extra $15 to go snorkelling off the coral later. Or think of it this way ..... every pint you buy now is worth three in S.E.Asia or India. :idea:

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Flyman wrote:Skegness it is then! :P

Tbh, unless you go off the tourist trail Eurofood is everywhere in S.E. Asia & S. America. I ate great Mexican food in Cambodia and excellent Lebanese in La Paz. You can even get a great English cooked breakfast at 'Oh My Cod' in Bangkok with Wiltshire bacon, Bury black pudding and Heinz baked beans. God, did I need that! :lol: Honestly, don't let that limit you. Even Ho Chi Minh City has a K.F.C.! :wink:

Several pics from your collage remind me of Vietnam which (was very afforable) but given your extended contract (congrats, btw) why not save as much as you can and visit Australia and New Zealand if that's what you fancy, maybe even French Polynesia, too? And go for longer!
N.Z. should give you much of the above - tropical islands in the North, phenomenal scenery in the south and as many ways to experience near death as you could wish in Queenstown, S. Island. The food was 1970s England when done on the cheap. :( It's no cheaper than here, though, and you'd doubtless touch down in Oz en route. Unless you've got rellies there it'll cost.

Whatever you choose, save as much as you can now rather than wishing you had an extra $15 to go snorkelling off the coral later. Or think of it this way ..... every pint you buy now is worth three in S.E.Asia or India. :idea:
My brother went to China, he said he hated it as all the food was dead scorpians, crabs, dog etc....China doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah may head to Aus and NZ, although the cost of flights are ridiculous. As you can see I like beaches, tropical ones, amazing views, I like to chill out and enjoy the environment, would love to do a sky dive, would love to see an F1 race and other sporting events abroad. I would not be your typical traveller and take in loads of culture, do lots of wakling/hiking going around with a backpack everywhere...thats not really me.

Where I have been:
France
I have only ever been on the usual 1-2 week holidays, although I did spend 4 weeks going round France...Normandy, down the West coast towards the south, to a well cool mahusive sand dune in the south west corner, then on into northern spain through the Pyrenees and onto Bilbao and did a bit of surfing, then onto the Alps, saw mont blanc and stayed in Switzerland, hiking up a mountain (picture shown in an earlier post) then onto Paris and home (been to Paris 3 times).

Holland
Went on a College trip stayed at some water park saw some tulip fields and some windmills, not much to see in Holland..a bit dull really unless you go to Amsterdam for some drugs (not interested) or some lady fun.

Spain
As mentioned above, Bilbao. Also been to Tenerife, I think all spanish beach resports are pretty much the same.

Cyprus
Paphos, nice enough place...sun sea and sand, with a bit of culture and pubs, went on to Nicosia for a day (waste of time) but was quite cool seeing the massive Turkish flag on the mountain.

Turkey
Immense, best holiday I have been on as there is so much to do, great for young ppl, loads of small boat trips which stop off for swims in the sea, off to turtle beach, Land rover trips..where a mad turkish driver nearly drives off a mountain, go to waterfall, have water fight through dirt tracks with other jeeps, quad biking, Turkish baths, amazingly cheap, £7 for days out and food. Amazing scenery, Marmaris is beautiful. Lots of nightlife, great bars, show Footy and F1.

Luxembourg
Part of the France Trip.

I have 25k to blow....well not really most of that is supposed to help buy me a house at some point, and thats why I am reluctant to spend more than £1500 on a trip.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

"My brother went to China, he said he hated it as all the food was dead scorpians, crabs, dog etc....China doesn't appeal to me"

I spent a month in China - eating like a king for rarely more than £2 a meal. I bought a 4 pack of beer too for 20p - and it tasted ok. I found the food and service excellent - maybe your brother got (ludicrously) unlucky - if you want travel time for your buck you cannot go wrong!

"A well cool mahusive sand dune in the south west corner" - that would be Ararchon - love it round there - great oysters. Great bird reserve.

"Went on a College trip stayed at some water park saw some tulip fields and some windmills, not much to see in Holland" - what no people eating cheese and wearing clogs?

As mentioned above, Bilbao. Also been to Tenerife, I think all spanish beach resports are pretty much the same. - Yep if I'd only been to Tenerife and Bilbao I would draw that conclusion too.

Luxembourg " " Kind of agree with that :D

Mexico is fantastic - spent a month backpacking there - ok now you have a 23% chance of being murdered but it means it's good value at the moment!

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Knulpuk wrote:"A well cool mahusive sand dune in the south west corner" - that would be Ararchon - love it round there - great oysters. Great bird reserve.

Yes for anyone that does not know about Ararchon theres an f'ing mahusive sand dune in france...and here it is WOW!:

ImageImageImage

Amazing, and yes this is in France.

As mentioned above, Bilbao. Also been to Tenerife, I think all spanish beach resports are pretty much the same. - Yep if I'd only been to Tenerife and Bilbao I would draw that conclusion too.

Well its just Sun, Sea, Beer...I suppose its different in Benidorm, more skyscrapers and people going round on electric grandma scooters.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I went up that sand dune only a couple of years ago.

Your 4 week French trip sounds like the sort of thing I was suggesting.

9 years ago today I flew out to NZ for a three week tour. Rented a car, stayed in cheap motels. Drove from south to north. Got sunburnt on Xmas Day. Great holiday.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

murf wrote:I went up that sand dune only a couple of years ago.

Your 4 week French trip sounds like the sort of thing I was suggesting.

9 years ago today I flew out to NZ for a three week tour. Rented a car, stayed in cheap motels. Drove from south to north. Got sunburnt on Xmas Day. Great holiday.

Yeah a driving trip sounds more like the thing I should do. The french trip was with family years ago, went to too many Chateau's, Churches and Cathedrals for my liking, going to the beach, that sand dune, surfing, the alps, and paris were the highlights.

budastep
Wideboy

Post by budastep »

Footy66 wrote:thinking of going travelling for 2 months after xmas.

anyone been travelling, anyone know how to get really cheap flights without sucking off richard branson?
Skyscanner is as good as it gets, gives prices from anywhere to anywhere and lets you see the prices for each day in a whole month so you can see the cheapest days to fly on

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

budastep wrote:
Footy66 wrote:thinking of going travelling for 2 months after xmas.

anyone been travelling, anyone know how to get really cheap flights without sucking off richard branson?
Skyscanner is as good as it gets, gives prices from anywhere to anywhere and lets you see the prices for each day in a whole month so you can see the cheapest days to fly on
which are usually via Frankfurt, Dublin and Madrid and take 30 hours for a 3 hour flight :D

Seriously though, skyscanner is great (although it never comes up with all the flight options) as long as you only tick the 'direct' or 'one stop' boxes and you watch out for return flight options that bring you back to the wrong airport. Prices can fluctuate on a day to day basis - up and down. Tuesday morning seems to be the best time for cheap flights - no idea why.

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

unc.si. wrote:Prices can fluctuate on a day to day basis - up and down. Tuesday morning seems to be the best time for cheap flights - no idea why.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmartin ... concludes/

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”