To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Great TV Series

Post by blahblah »

hancockjr wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 18:55
Stena Bib wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 17:50 The Outlaws [2021] Stephen Merchant

Absolutely brilliant so far [4 episodes in of 6]
BBC iPlayer?
I'm sure I saw it advertised there, probably BBC3.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

blahblah wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 18:58
hancockjr wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 18:55
Stena Bib wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 17:50 The Outlaws [2021] Stephen Merchant

BBC iPlayer?
I'm sure I saw it advertised there, probably BBC3.
BBC1 on a Monday at 9pm - they've drip fed the episodes onto iPlayer.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Catch-22.. nice mini-series

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

SirMattBugsby wrote:Catch-22.. nice mini-series
Is that the George C. Looney one?

I thought it was ok but was on to a loser as it could never be as good as the book.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

murf wrote:
SirMattBugsby wrote:Catch-22.. nice mini-series
Is that the George C. Looney one?

I thought it was ok but was on to a loser as it could never be as good as the book.
Yep, that's the one. Nothing will beat the book but the series is well-made, and long enough to do some kind of justice.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Stena Bib wrote:The Outlaws [2021] Stephen Merchant

Just finished. Brilliant stuff. One of the best bits of 2021 TV. Maybe even THE best.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Magic wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 14:20Caught a series called The Survivors from the 1970s I think on Britbox. Its like the makers had a time machine and saw Covid through a 70s lens. Awesome.
One of the best ever.

Recently caught a few random re-runs of Blakes 7 on something called Forces TV. It's still got something about it despite the terrible acting and settings which were usually in some disused quarry.

Just now finished watching a Peacock mini-series of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Worth a look despite its faults.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Crawling my way through The Last Symbol. Not exactly gripping. Wish I hadn't started.....

Blakes 7 was excellent but, yes watch it again and it is amazing they showed it with those sets!

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

murf wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 19:24Crawling my way through The Last Symbol. Not exactly gripping. Wish I hadn't started.....
That was properly terrible. And the bloke playing Langdon was definitely no Tom Hanks!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Magic wrote:
murf wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 19:24Crawling my way through The Last Symbol. Not exactly gripping. Wish I hadn't started.....
That was properly terrible. And the bloke playing Langdon was definitely no Tom Hanks!
Made it to the end but it just got worse and worse and less believable. No suspension of disbelief here.

We knew the books and TH films were silly but they were gripping and action packed and were written well enough to suspend disbelief. Dragging it out over 10 episodes wrecked that. I'm amazed Dan Brown put his name to it, let alone was involved.

Anyway, if you want good stuff, I recommend THE TOURIST on BBC. Quite Fargoesque with the black humour and occassional OTT violence. Watched 4/6 so far.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Not really a tv series, but not a film either, 14 Peaks is a documentary about climbing all 14 of the 8000m+ peaks in the Himalaya in one year which is on Netflix now.

you really don't need to be into mountaineering at all to enjoy it - there's almost zero technical content or jargon, but its a great story.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:50 Not really a tv series, but not a film either, 14 Peaks is a documentary about climbing all 14 of the 8000m+ peaks in the Himalaya in one year which is on Netflix now.

you really don't need to be into mountaineering at all to enjoy it - there's almost zero technical content or jargon, but its a great story.
I bet there is a lot of snow and ice, which will make me feel cold 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:46
unc.si. wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:50 Not really a tv series, but not a film either, 14 Peaks is a documentary about climbing all 14 of the 8000m+ peaks in the Himalaya in one year which is on Netflix now.

I bet there is a lot of snow and ice, which will make me feel cold 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶
I remember you giving that as a reason why you didn't watch Game of Thrones once :lol:

Mountaineering is the absolute last thing that appeals to me personally (I value my fingers and toes, for a start...) but have always found stories of it fascinating, so will check that one out some time. Got a long watchlist at the moment though!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It was why I didn't 😎

I saw something worse the other day: that underground caving thing through tight spaces. Freaking mental, in not a good way.......

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Lots of new series on the horizon

Undercover S3 (out now)
Ozark S4
Afterlife S3
The Sinner S4

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:41 Lots of new series on the horizon

Undercover S3 (out now)
Ozark S4
Afterlife S3
The Sinner S4
Yeah, Peaky Blinders final(ish) series coming soon as well. Any news on Better Call Saul?

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

forestfan wrote:

Undercover S3 (out now)
Ozark S4
Afterlife S3
The Sinner S4
Yeah, Peaky Blinders final(ish) series coming soon as well. Any news on Better Call Saul?
Vague confirmation that it is in 2 parts in Q1 and Q2. Put back partly because of Bobs heart scare.

In the meantime I’ve rewatched all 5 seasons and all the podcasts after each episode. Image I’m chomping at the bit for it’s return. Image

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

happyhoppy wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 13:15
forestfan wrote:

Undercover S3 (out now)
Ozark S4
Afterlife S3
The Sinner S4
Vague confirmation that it is in 2 parts in Q1 and Q2. Put back partly because of Bobs heart scare.

In the meantime I’ve rewatched all 5 seasons and all the podcasts after each episode. Image I’m chomping at the bit for it’s return. Image
Are the podcasts called 'Better Call Saul'? Some of them are an hour long, I don't think I'd be able to work my way through all that content after each episode! :o

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

forestfan wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:18Mountaineering is the absolute last thing that appeals to me personally (I value my fingers and toes, for a start...) but have always found stories of it fascinating, so will check that one out some time.
I've climbed a few in Europe (when a lot younger), including the Matterhorn, Monte Rosa and Mönch and tried (and failed to) climb the Eiger, and have managed to keep all my digits. I can honestly say there's nothing like it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Nothing like keeping digits? 🤦🤦

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Bob Newhart wrote:
forestfan wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:18Mountaineering is the absolute last thing that appeals to me personally (I value my fingers and toes, for a start...) but have always found stories of it fascinating, so will check that one out some time.
I've climbed a few in Europe (when a lot younger), including the Matterhorn, Monte Rosa and Mönch and tried (and failed to) climb the Eiger, and have managed to keep all my digits. I can honestly say there's nothing like it.
Respect for that. My limits are a bit less than that. Don't mind putting some extra grips on my boots but if crampons and ice axes are involved then I'm out Image

Forecast is good tomorrow so I'll be heading upwards, probably below the snowline though as been a bit of a melt since it last snowed.

Been a couple of good mountaineering docs on telly lately.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

murf wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 17:12
Bob Newhart wrote:
Respect for that. My limits are a bit less than that. Don't mind putting some extra grips on my boots but if crampons and ice axes are involved then I'm out Image

Forecast is good tomorrow so I'll be heading upwards, probably below the snowline though as been a bit of a melt since it last snowed.

Been a couple of good mountaineering docs on telly lately.
I'm a sucker for a good mountaineering doc. Hope your tomorrow goes well, last significant hike I managed was Helvellyn and Scafell before Chrstmas.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Bob Newhart wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 16:54
Respect for that. I used to climb a bit outside of the rugby season but strictly fair weather rock climbing - mainly Dark Peak and N Wales, with the odd trip to the Lakes and Scotland. I love mountaineering stories though and the Eiger in particular always fascinated me after reading The White Spider when I was at Uni. Like FF I'd be too worried about losing bits of me to go into the real mountains :-)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Didn't walk on any white stuff today so kept all our digits but there was some higher up, adding to the view.

Back to TV .....

Finished The Tourist last night, we both loved it, great stuff.
Also finished Dexter - New Blood. Quite good, not classic Dexter but fans should watch it.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

I just finished that Dan Browns THE LOST SYMBOL (2021) 5/10 (Worth Watching) but nothing special like.

For my sins been doing Gossip Girl on BBC iPlayer - think it just auto played after I watched an MOTD or some other sports show and I stuck with it - but hut damn its about 15 seasons or something silly like that! Not sure I can even manage a season in one go already thinking of mixing it up - like the look of Amsterdam Vice on All4 (Walter Presents).

Snowfall was superb alas BBC iPlayer has removed Season 1 so hard for new people to start - I'm up to date and can't wait for Season 5.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluelionman wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 05:17 Snowfall
Sounds like another one for blahblah to avoid :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 12:08
🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 15:59
forestfan wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 12:08
🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶
Frozen, Wind River…

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Fortitude, which was set in an Arctic research settlement…

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

forestfan wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 16:19 Fortitude, which was set in an Arctic research settlement…
And was very good.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”