View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Knight
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: Great TV Series

Post by forestfan » 15 Jul 2019, 08:16

Better Call Saul season 4 delayed until next year, seemingly due to Vince Gilligan working on the Breaking Bad spinoff movie. Wouldn’t it have made sense to wait until BCS was over to pursue that project?

Looks like Peaky Blinders is back pretty soon, given BBC seem to be plugging the box set etc... about time, seems near two-year gaps are becoming the norm with a number of series, which really feels unnecessary unless they’re massive budget visual spectaculars.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman » 15 Jul 2019, 09:20

I think most series’ are movie like production standards now. So the net impact is us having to wait longer.

BCS being impacted by the movie is disappointing. I don’t think everyone has made the natural transition to watch BCS... so the sooner they get the film out, to keep the brand alive (and cash in) the better (for them)? Presumably?

Also need to make sure they can get Walt et al whilst they have space in their calendars.

forestfan
FISO Knight

Post by forestfan » 15 Jul 2019, 18:27

Zimmerman wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:20
I think most series’ are movie like production standards now. So the net impact is us having to wait longer.
The issue with “waiting longer” comes in the form of whether it’s always possible to keep the cast and crew together when a successful series with, say, an average run of five or six series now lasts for a decade. Depends on the show, obviously, whether it’s a revolving door cast or one dependent on a small number of stars. But a TV series is a big commitment and not like, say, getting someone to come back for a Star Wars movie every couple of years. And once previously little known TV actors go A-list, they will have lots of offers. Good shows could meet a premature end by not being to keep their line-up together if they take too long over it.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie » 17 Jul 2019, 11:55

Top marks from me for Bang, a great series.

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS » 17 Jul 2019, 14:47

Watched Dirty Money, which overall was ok, however the ending was dire!
Better to have shortened the run up and stretch out the end ?
Seemed that they had run out of time/money and had to rush to finish it.
Seems common theme recently :roll:

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah » 17 Jul 2019, 17:43

Well that and putting off the ending for another series or 10....

forestfan
FISO Knight

Post by forestfan » 18 Jul 2019, 08:18

Nailing the ending is the most difficult thing of all, but I prefer it when shows at least have a go rather than waiting until they fizzle out or don’t get recommissioned. As for endings of non-final series, particularly for shows with one main plotline, you just know they’re going to throw in that contrived twist to prevent it being resolved for good, as there’s another series coming!

Anyway, just finished Killing Eve S2 - didn’t think it fell too far short of the first one, really. There was the occasional clunky, cheesy line of dialogue, and the new minor characters didn’t add much, but those were small issues on the whole.

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah » 18 Jul 2019, 08:19

And another pants ending, imho.

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf » 18 Jul 2019, 12:48

blahblah wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 08:19
And another pants ending, imho.
Yep (assuming you mean Killing Eve S2!). Seems like they feel they need a big ending but one they can 'reverse' for the next series.

Talking of pants endings, Gentleman Jack (sadly not as good as you'd hope from the subject matter, hype and excellent Wainwright/Jones combo) just fizzled out. Everything heads for a crescendo and then sort of works out without the fireworks so it can all be redone in S2.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”