To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

BBC Sports Personality 2011

A forum for fixed-odds betting discussion and tips including sports betting such as horse racing
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: BBC Sports Personality 2011

Post by blahblah »

Footy66 wrote: Have any golfers been asked which they think is the superior Major. I would expect it to be The Masters? Then The US Open.
The standard answer is Open and Masters, then US Open then the other one.

Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Post by Footy66 »

blessedbrian wrote:
Latest odds have Clarke now odds on
He was odds on as soon as they put the odds on, as far as I am aware he was not even possible to pick as SPOTY in the betting before he won.

Not sure he will remain favorite though, its in everyones mind right now so they don't want loads of people jumping on too higher odds so have made him favorite.....and all bookies have to go for the same outcome and all put him as favorite which they may disagree on but they do this so people don't go wacking their money on both making it a win-win situation. I think it will probably go back to Rory being favorite in a month or two, maybe less. I would expect more people to put money on Rory now the odds have increased so he will be fave again soon.

The bookies can't lose by putting Clarke as favorite, if he does win SPOTY the bookies will make a mint as I doubt anyone put money on him earlier in the year (if that was even possible). All the moneys on Rory and others.

On BBC 1 right now: Rory -The Major Breakthrough. He has his own TV show. I think this just shows how big and popular he is and his win was, he has half a million followers on Twitter, he is a UNICEF ambassador, he's won a major age 22, not any major but whats 'renowned as the toughest major' and he won it by a long way, he's the future of golf, great guy. He will come close in the final Major of the year too.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Just put a few pennies on Strauss at 100/1 :lol:

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

bspittles wrote:Just put a few pennies on Strauss at 100/1 :lol:
Did you get him each way?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

No, I didn't think it was worth it as I had so little in my account :-)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Ashers wrote:My money is still on Mo Farah.

This guy will win the 5k and 10k.
Think Farah's only running the 10k now

juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Post by juckster »

unc.si. wrote:

Yep, just the six miler.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

unc.si. wrote:

Where did you read that?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Was on the BBC website - yesterday?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Ashers wrote:Where did you read that?
A direct quote from Mo himself reported widely in the press saying that he would only compete in the 10k talking about putting all his eggs in one basket. Type of cliche common to competitors in most sports these days.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Ashers wrote:
unc.si. wrote:

Where did you read that?
Already answered by others, but to answer the question someone who I was training with last night (who's also a distance runner) told me, but it's pretty much all over the sporting press today.

I guess he could still change his mind?

He'll come up against Bekele in the 10k, but should beat him easily on current form. Think Farah has the best time in the world this year, and he's got a great kick in the last 200m, so he's definitely the one to beat at the moment.

Not sure distance running really captures the public imagination these days though. If he and Ennis get a Gold each, I'd say Ennis would get more of the vote.

I would say that even with the TdF win, Cav would still fall short, although he's getting a lot of airtime at the moment and if he wins the Worlds in Copenhagen he could still be in with a shot. Brits don't 'get' cycling, but do understand the significance of World Championship medals and a lot of people that don't follow cycling at all are asking me about him at the moment.

I'd still probably go for Clarke though. Assuming you discount Cav it probably should be Rory, but the public love a good story, and as it could be Clarke's last hurrah he may well pick up a lot of the punter (ie non-golf specific) votes. Will the golf vote get split though and deny both of them?

Of course if Murray wins the US open he'll go favourite, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll beat Djok

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Going OT but Farah is looking to switch to the marathon after 2012 :shock:

1440: ATHLETICS - European 5000 and 10000m champion Mo Farah says he wants to run the London Marathon in 2013. The 28-year old told a Facebook webchat that he plans to step up to the marathon distance after competing at the 2012 Olympics in London. Farah is part of the British team for the World Athletics Championships in South Korea later this month - where he will compete in the 10,000 metres.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

A cricketer won't win, Farah won't win, Cavendish not quite,

Its Mcilroys, winning the most challenging major at a young age, such an achievement, a popular guy, ambassador for UNICEF. Will probably win another tournament this year.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Footy66 wrote:A cricketer won't win, Farah won't win, Cavendish not quite,

Its Mcilroys, winning the most challenging major at a young age, such an achievement, a popular guy, ambassador for UNICEF. Will probably win another tournament this year.
A cricketer can certainly win...

Clarke is clearly favourite ahead of Mcllroy...better story...more likeable...better known....hardest major to win :wink: watched by more more of the voting public .

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Cav is starting to get some BBC publicity, and if (or more likely when) he moves to Sky, then more can be expected.

juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Post by juckster »

blahblah wrote:Cav is starting to get some BBC publicity, and if (or more likely when) he moves to Sky, then more can be expected.
Yeh, I listened to him on 5Live yesterday.

Now I'm not in to Cycling, but even I could see that he is a legend. 140km training EVERY DAY :shock:

The guy is superhuman - no wonder he's treated like Beckham in other European countries.

And, he's actually quite a nice guy, and very competitive - which is to be expected of course.

If he can win the worlds, plus more press coverage, there's a chance he may win SPOTY.

What's his current price ?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote:Cav is starting to get some BBC publicity, and if (or more likely when) he moves to Sky, then more can be expected.
Sounds like HTC are going to announce that all their riders are free agents for next year. I guess that means that Renshaw and Bernie, who were in contract next year, are now free to move with Cav, which is probably the 'extra' that he was on about on the radio.

The Sky Aussies (Hendo and Sutton) will be going to Green Edge, so now looks pretty nailed on that Cav and Renshaw (maybe Bernie as well) will be announcing a Sky move soon.

Bit OT, but may be relevant insofar as publicity goes - as Blah says, this could generate quite a few column inches.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:

With turnarounds this quick maybe he should also try the discus.....

1416: ATHLETICS - Britain's Mo Farah has said he may run both the 10,000m and 5,000m at the World Championships in Daegu later this month. Farah had said on Sunday he was going to "put all my eggs in one basket and that is the 10k" but he added on Thursday: "It depends on how I come out of the 10k. If I feel good I will come back and do the 5k."

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Tricky Tree wrote:
Clarke is clearly favourite ahead of Mcllroy...better story...more likeable...better known....hardest major to win :wink: watched by more more of the voting public .
Better story cos his wife died 15 years ago?

Better known? he's done bugga all for years, Failed at the current WGC golf tournament.

Look at the Twitter followers: Mcilroy has 573,000 Clarke has 97,000 only a difference of almost 400,000 people.

Hardest major to win is the US Open it is regarded as the most challenging.

I have money on Mcilroy, will win £750 if he wins, I may have to back Clarke as a back up, maybe £200. So either way I win £200 or £550 overall.

But at the minute I do not see Clarke beating Mcilroy to SPOTY, may well depend on the last major next weekend. Mcilroy will show Clarke up (they are paired together).

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Footy66 wrote:
Look at the Twitter followers: Mcilroy has 573,000 Clarke has 97,000 only a difference of almost 400,000 people.

Hardest major to win is the US Open it is regarded as the most challenging.
You may be right and good luck to you but Clarke is better known (more famous) especially with the tyoe who vote.

Mcllroy will have more twitter followers by a street...this I'm afraid proves nothing at all, except they have more to say over current events...

As for majors...the US Open is clearly the 3rd most wanted behind the Masters and The Open....it may be the toughest (scoring wise) but it is the 3rd most wanted

Good luck to you though, I personally think mcllroy is more worthy....but neither have done enugh in other events this year to be worth winners anyway

thecomedybeard
Treebeard

Post by thecomedybeard »

for me, unless England win Rugby World Cup, Clarke is a shoe in.

My only worry is Clarke and McIlroy split the golfers vote. However, as a golfer (current handicap 6, used to be off 2 so know a bit about the game) virtually every club golfer when asked would vote for Clarke. I cant think of many of my mates (I'm 35 btw) who would vote for McIlroy.

His wife died in 2006 I think. 3 weeks before the Ryder Cup in Ireland. When he stepped on the first tee that morning, the four grown men in my living room nearly all burst into tears it was so emotional! The general chat is that he actually polled the most votes in 2006, but didnt want the award as it would detract from the team result, so the BBC gave it to Zara Philips and he got 2nd. Do we really think a horse jumping royal would beat Clarkey after what he been through.

I'm not dissing McIlroy, just trying to give you a pointer from a serious golfer's perspective. Twitter has nowt to do with it. McIlroy will have his day, but the British public love an underdog and the prize is about PERSONALITY.

You have a 46 yr old widower, with teenage sons, whose best days seem behind him. Set a record for the most number of tries (20) before winning the Open. In summary tho, he'll win because

- Sympathy/Empathy vote due to his life experiences
- His quality acceptance speech
- BBC give good coverage and back the stars who events that are on their channel (not Sky like US Open)
- The public like a man who is NORMAL. i.e. drinks Guiness and smokes cigars. He's not a ROBOT like the Americans who just go to gym etc. He is someone that the average man in the street with kids (me) can relate to.
- Women will vote for him instead of McIlroy

All just my opinion tho and a lot can change before the ceremony

thecomedybeard
Treebeard

Post by thecomedybeard »

Also, lots of votes are cast on the night of the ceremony. When the BBC start hamming it up with their video montage and talk about Heather dying of cancer, he'll pick up non golfer's votes.

Bookies had him at 1/2 or 8/15 last time I looked. They rarely get it wrong and pay people lots of money to price up markets.

Dont put your house on McIlroy mate is all I'm saying...............

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

thecomedybeard wrote: Bookies had him at 1/2 or 8/15 last time I looked. They rarely get it wrong and pay people lots of money to price up markets..

Dont put your house on McIlroy mate is all I'm saying...............
1. He is currently 5/4 with Bet365.

2. The bookies took a beating when they were dumb enough to put Giggs at 66-1 a couple of years ago, thank you bookies, that earned me £1500. Just a shame I did not wack any serious money on it.

3. I haven't put my house on him, I have £22 on him at 33-1 which returns almost £800, this bet was put on when he was leading The Masters.

4. I also put some dosh on Ennis earlier in the year. To be honest now Clarke has won The Open I am a bit worried about him taking it as it has screwed up my Mcilroy bet which looked pretty much guaranteed before Clarkes win. I also take into account peoples points about the Golf Vote being split.....if so I would expect Ennis to take it. Therefore as I will win £800 if Mcilroy wins it and £500 if Ennis wins it I may as well wack £200 on Clarke at 5/4 and I should be in a win-win situation. I cannot see anyone else winning it other than them 3, Murray wont win the US Open, well I blooming hope not anyway........

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Twitter followers 2 months ago:

Mcilroy: 573,000 Clarke: 97,000

Twitter followers a month ago:

Mcilroy: 615,968 Clarke: 98,361

Twitter followers today:

Mcilroy: 661,000 Clarke: 102,000

So Clarkes followers have barely changed in 2 or 3 months, up 5,000 followers.

Mcilroys followers are increasing by the minute, up by 90,000 followers in the past 2 or 3 months, by xmas he should have another 90,000 followers on top of that.

The bookies not taking their popularity into consideration in their odds then.
Last edited by Footy66 on 07 Oct 2011, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Looks like Mo Farah is out of contention.

Great run though Mo.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Mo Farah aint gonna win SPOTY now. Feel sorry for him though, great guy, you can see he works his ass off daily to be the best, he looked totally gutted, he really wants that gold, hope he gets it next year at the Olympics.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Mcilroys twitter followers are going up by 2000 a day whereas Clarkes are going up 100 a day.

Also he just tweeted:

"My followers live in the U.K. (46.2%), the U.S. (17.6%) & Ireland (12.6%) [top 3].

= 399,544 UK and Ireland followers and its going up and up.

Not sure if you can vote if your outside the UK but would expect so.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Footy66 wrote:Mo Farah aint gonna win SPOTY now. Feel sorry for him though, great guy, you can see he works his ass off daily to be the best, he looked totally gutted, he really wants that gold, hope he gets it next year at the Olympics.
That win could change things.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Ashers wrote:
Footy66 wrote:Mo Farah aint gonna win SPOTY now. Feel sorry for him though, great guy, you can see he works his ass off daily to be the best, he looked totally gutted, he really wants that gold, hope he gets it next year at the Olympics.
That win could change things.
When I wrote that I didn't realise he did the 5000 as well.

I think he has a huge chance of winning it now, a big part of me thinks he WILL win SPOTY.

I wrote him off completely of having a chance even if he won a gold medal but I have really been taken by him, such a nice guy, really deserving of the gold, a nice story of him so anguished by not getting the 10,000 gold but going onto get the 5000 win. I expected Ennis to win gold and therefore wrote Farah off cos Ennis would have had more votes had she won but all the attention is going to be on Farah now, everyone has fallen in love with the guy.

Farah could definately win this now.
Last edited by Footy66 on 04 Sep 2011, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Well my 50/1 looks great now. :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Betting Forum”