To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Spiders. What are they up to?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Spiders. What are they up to?

Post by Jonathan »

Massive one last night lifted the settee up as it ran out, and a biggie at work last week too. A smaller one this morning when I picked the quilt up off the floor in the bedroom :shock: :shock: Don't they know it's nearly summer? Give me the creeps.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Re: Spiders. What are they up to?

Post by DixieDean »

Jonathan wrote:Massive one last night lifted the settee up as it ran out...
Eff Me.... it must have been a strong one!!! :lol: :wink:

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

DixieDean wrote:
I don't know how to take that. :lol: Our settee is quite heavy, but I think you are probably referring to me being on it at the time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

When I was working in South Africa the last 12 months, these creatures were regular visitors to the house. Very big and very scary!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Shudder. Couldn't you find a bigger picture, Surprised? :? :lol: The exotic species don't bother me so much in terms of what they look like, but there is something about our house spiders that just makes me go really weird. I was cornered at one point last night. Wife had gone to bed (our in-house spider catcher) and I couldn't move to turn the lights and TV off so I could get outta there!

I jumped from one settee to the other, switching lights off as I went, pushed the TV button off as I ran past and left the room in a right mess for my wife to find this morning.

What a wuss!

Tonight will be fun, because the spider is still running loose in the hoose... waiting for my wife to go to bed before it reappears to stare me out....

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Our cat eats spiders - job done.

Yesterday she brought me a massive mouse which she obviously thought I required alive the poor thing was still squeaking when being carried in - I managed to rescue said mouse and whilst it was understandably shaken it did stagger off.

That's a big spider. What did you do, shoot it?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

The pic is just a rain spider. Fairly harmless as if it does bite it just gives you flu like symptoms for a day or so (so I've been told but not sure it's true). Still, if one is in my house then I'm out of there pronto.

The worst thing I encountered was a thing called a Parktown Prawn.
Huge prawn type things s that walk, jump very high (towards it's attacker) and squirt a smelly, black liquid if you try to attack them

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Knulpuk wrote:
I stayed away until I thought it had gone

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Surprised wrote:
Knulpuk wrote:
I stayed away until I thought it had gone
Thought, thought! are you not concerned it may just be hiding - leaving you to wake up with it (predicatbly) astride your face. And these prawns where do they hang out?

I would probably want some comfort it was gone - I do not mind normal spiders but I think the hebbie jeebies would arive pronto if I spotted this thing.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Knulpuk wrote: Thought, thought! are you not concerned it may just be hiding - leaving you to wake up with it (predicatbly) astride your face. And these prawns where do they hang out?

I would probably want some comfort it was gone - I do not mind normal spiders but I think the hebbie jeebies would arive pronto if I spotted this thing.
I'm not there now so it can come back. If I had woken up to find it near me I would have died from fear I think.

This thing is a Parktown Prawn. They hang about the garden and sometimes come in the house.
They are about 2-3 inches in length normally with a 1 inch antennae. They are not really prawns but a sort of mix between a cricket and a cockroach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

El Neilio 10
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Banned from telling the truth in the "Elite league - 2011 / 12" thread
FS Record: First Sun Weekly winner of the second decade of the third Millennium

Post by El Neilio 10 »

Great thread :lol:

Must say, I love my spiders.

At least, in theory...

So, what are they up to???

They're catching your (our? :? ) FLIES. (Guilty of transmitting BUBONIC PLAGUE ( ;) ) etc.)
Also, they're the inspiration behind the spiderman phenomenon too!

So, let's hear it for the little guys!

:mrgreen:

Maybe we need to conduct a survey with participants counting flies seen / day and spiders cornered by / day. And then pool all the data to see what we find?

Could make for interesting reading! ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Jonathan wrote:
DixieDean wrote:
I don't know how to take that. :lol: Our settee is quite heavy, but I think you are probably referring to me being on it at the time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The spider lifted the sofa, with you on it?

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

Found a wasp's nest in the garage over the weekend, so I had a rummage around the corners of the garage and got as many big spiders as I could and put them next to the wasp's nest.

Spiders might be a bit nasty to some people, but they're not as nasty as wasps.

Job done.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

El Neilio 10 wrote:Great thread :lol:

Must say, I love my spiders.

At least, in theory...

So, what are they up to???

They're catching your (our? :? ) FLIES. (Guilty of transmitting BUBONIC PLAGUE ( ;) ) etc.)
Also, they're the inspiration behind the spiderman phenomenon too!

So, let's hear it for the little guys!

:mrgreen:

Maybe we need to conduct a survey with participants counting flies seen / day and spiders cornered by / day. And then pool all the data to see what we find?

Could make for interesting reading! ;)
Don't get me wrong. I can't think of anything bad house spiders do (apart from scaring me to death and literally giving me nightmares), but I just can't handle knowing there is one in the same room as me. I even dream about white spiders (they have to be white, otherwise I wouldn't see them.)

Mind you, I don't think bubonic plague has been a problem in this country for some time, but I get your point!

But what I am getting at is that they should be outside enjoy the warm weather, and at least wait until September or October to come in and give me the heebie jeebies!

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

blahblah wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
DixieDean wrote:

The spider lifted the sofa, with you on it?
Yep. And it was so big, when it ran over the TV remote control, it turned over to Channel 4 :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Where is the spider now?

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Surprised wrote:Where is the spider now?
As far as I know, still in the house.... and with it getting darker now, highly likely it will be turning the TV over again any time soon.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Jonathan wrote:
As far as I know, still in the house.... and with it getting darker now, highly likely it will be turning the TV over again any time soon.

The Missus will know :wink:

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

:lol:

Had a wasp in my room the other week and a spider. I managed to get the wasp out, but ive had to suppress the images of the spider from my memory. The thing is if you start checking everywhere for it, and you find it under your bed you wont be able to sleep for a while.
Best thing to do is to make sure the duvet doesnt hang off the bed and touch the ground and move the bed away from the walls.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Jonathan wrote:
Still in he house??
It may be watching you
Move house or buy a flame thrower

Ave a banana
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ave a banana »

shogun wrote: Best thing to do is to make sure the duvet doesnt hang off the bed and touch the ground and move the bed away from the walls.
........... and put bed in paddling pool full of water. No point in taking any chances!

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Well, that's the bed moved to the centre of the room (thanks Shogun), and fortunately due to the hot weather, B&Q had some paddling pools in stock (thanks banana). Not sure how the pool will stand up to the flame thrower (thanks Surprised), but in these circumstances you just can't be too cautious. Mind you, the spider in question was last seen downstairs, but they can climb pretty well. Besides, they always come in three's and so far I have seen two this week.

Now dark enough for it to venture out. Wife still here to look after me.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Best keep the wife full of coffee so she doesn't sleep. Ifs he complains that you sleep then tell her you need the rest after the stress of seeing the spiders. If the spider gets into the room at night then she has to be awake to protect you.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Surprised wrote:Best keep the wife full of coffee so she doesn't sleep. Ifs he complains that you sleep then tell her you need the rest after the stress of seeing the spiders. If the spider gets into the room at night then she has to be awake to protect you.
I can't actually pass on her response to that, Surprised. Certainly not to a mod, anyway!! :lol: :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Jonathan wrote:
Surprised wrote:Best keep the wife full of coffee so she doesn't sleep. Ifs he complains that you sleep then tell her you need the rest after the stress of seeing the spiders. If the spider gets into the room at night then she has to be awake to protect you.
I can't actually pass on her response to that, Surprised. Certainly not to a mod, anyway!! :lol: :lol:

Was it rude?

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

She has a potty mouth. Tis all I can say! :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Can she be scarier than a big spider?

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Jonathan »

Surprised wrote:Can she be scarier than a big spider?
She is a natural red head. So yes! And now she has gone to bed and I am all alone. :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Jonathan wrote:
Surprised wrote:Can she be scarier than a big spider?
She is a natural red head. So yes! And now she has gone to bed and I am all alone. :?

Don't worry I have told BBC and Sky News. They will be there soon, and their camera lights will keep her awake 8-)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

The SAS are on standby too

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”