To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Where are all the honey bees?

A forum for general discussion on Gardening issues and topics
eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Where are all the honey bees?

Post by eagle224 »

I've been working in my garden for the past week and have not come across a single honey bee on any of the plants that are usually covered in them, despite the nice warm sunny days. There are plenty of bumble bee's doing their thing and many other insects buzzing around.

Anyone else noticed a lack of honey bees so far this year?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Where are all the honey bees?

Post by blahblah »

eagle224 wrote:I've been working in my garden for the past week and have not come across a single honey bee on any of the plants that are usually covered in them, despite the nice warm sunny days. There are plenty of bumble bee's doing their thing and many other insects buzzing around.

Old story, and very important. Check out the bbc news site :wink:

there is a thread on here, somewhere about it :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I read something about this in the paper last week. Apparently a lot seemed to have died off. Daily Mail thinks it will be the end of mankind in 10 years (although that was when Brown was PM. Now the end of the bee is the beginning of a new period of prosperity and unbridled joy :) )

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

blahblah wrote:
eagle224 wrote:I've been working in my garden for the past week and have not come across a single honey bee on any of the plants that are usually covered in them, despite the nice warm sunny days. There are plenty of bumble bee's doing their thing and many other insects buzzing around.

Did a search for a thread on here but came back empty so started this one.

It was just so noticable this year and I do recall there being a TV programme about the bees in the USA a few years back (hence the question), but thought the conculsion from that was that the European bee was more resilliant. I don't read newspapers, so if this has appeared recently - apologies but that was not what prompted this thread.

I'm just a little concerned I could end up with low yields from my Apple trees and Broad beans which are all in flower right now but have no pollinators on them, so just trying to see if anyone else has the same issue right now or is it just my garden?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

eagle224 wrote:
blahblah wrote:

It was just so noticable this year and I do recall there being a TV programme about the bees in the USA a few years back (hence the question), but thought the conculsion from that was that the European bee was more resilliant. I don't read newspapers, so if this has appeared recently - apologies but that was not what prompted this thread.

I'm just a little concerned I could end up with low yields from my Apple trees and Broad beans which are all in flower right now but have no pollinators on them, so just trying to see if anyone else has the same issue right now or is it just my garden?

Nah it is everywhere, apart from Australia, who have brought in very tight quarantine restrictions, and it is now a (major?) export industry for them.

The deaths are a bit of a mystery, although there is a lot of circumstantial (I believe) evidence pointing to pesticides etc, especially as the city bees are unaffected.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... onies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peter ... e-way-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In all seriousness the decline of bees could have a devastating effect on our ecosystem

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

German chemicals company Bayer makes a product which has been implicated in bee deaths. I think they may have started to fork out compensation in the US.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Glyn1972
Treebeard
FS Record: Just behind last place

Post by Glyn1972 »

eagle224 wrote:
blahblah wrote:

I can see a bee keeping thread coming on

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

[quote="eagle224"]I've been working in my garden for the past week and have not come across a single honey bee on any of the plants that are usually covered in them, despite the nice warm sunny days. There are plenty of bumble bee's doing their thing and many other insects buzzing around.

Plenty in my Conservatory i have to hoover them up nightly.
Think they getting through the roof must of nested up there.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Loads where I work - we have lavender bushes all over the shop and there must easily be a couple of hundred around

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Gardening”