To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Hotpot Challenge

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Re: The Hotpot Challenge

Post by Synyster »

unc.si not many people will know what you're talking about with all that fancy wording.but my gym just has the standard bikes that keep you moving, got everything on it you could ask for but nothing OTT. rarely use it as if I want to feel it in my legs, squat squat squat. 8-)

unc.si
Grumpy Old Man

Post by unc.si »

apologies for 'fancy wording'. Cadence = rpm

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

I'll get these down before I forget, but the way I feel right now these PBs could last a lifetime. I never want to see a gym again!

Decided to do the run first today as its my toughest discipline.

5km run - set to 9kph and didn't change it - 33m 20s :D Felt as though I was cruising half way through, even toyed with the idea of upping the pace at one point - thankfully sanity prevailed as I was well and truly eff by the end!

5km row - struggled early on and even thought I might not finish as early as 1.5km in :? Found a second wind and tried not to kill myself settling around 2.10/500m. Managed to speed up through the last 1km - 21m 27s :D

10km bike - really went for it on this and the sweat was pouring off the end of my nose from about half way. Hopefully the fit bird on the runner behind me didn't notice that, but shes bound to have seen my sweaty ass as I got off at the end :lol: Nevermind, 18m 24s :shock:

8-)

Total time - 73m 11s

8-)

Rob
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: WC2010 FISODAS Champion!!

Post by Rob »

Good times

I'm planning to have a go at this challenge tonight...sounds like I best book a taxi for the journey home :)

Rob
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rob »

I can only post two out of the three times as I couldn't get on with the pulsefitness bikes in the gym. :?
No matter what setting I tried I ended up going ridiculously slow, which can't be right...must be the bikes :shock: Think I'd still be there trying to reach 10km if I'd persevered.

Anyway, on to the times I did manage:
5k row: 21.51
5k run: 23.39
10k bike: DNF

I think that I'd have to do the 10km bike on a proper bike. Is that allowed or cheating?

Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Post by Synyster »

5k run in 23.39? :shock: Good time. 8-)

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

That is a good time mate 8-)

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Hats off to the 5km run time. Only 19 secs behind my time. Oh hang on, thats 23mins not 33mins er good game sir :mrgreen:

:D

Rob
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rob »

Cheers, running's the easiest for me. My PB for 10k is 47mins (I've only done two) and 21km is 1hr47mins (I've done two half-marathons).

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

Just a smidge off my best times, 46:08 for 10k, 1hr40 for the half. To be fair i have had 33 efforts at the half though. :lol:

5k is 22:21 for what its worth. My weight seems to hovver around 14 and a half stone, i would be like greased lightning if i was a sensible BMI.

Never done any rowing so i cant take part and i am rapidly coming to the conclusion my bulky mountain bike is not very fast as i practically have the thing in top gear and struggle to top 15mph.

Rob
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rob »

Good times CY, especially at that weight...must be all muscle :lol:

I'm around 12 stone and am hoping to improve on my PBs in my second year of "proper" running.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

AKNel1 wrote:
AKNel1 wrote:5K Walk / Run 48.14 :arrow: 47.03
5K Row 25.44 :arrow: 25.42
10K Cycle 20.38 :arrow: 20.31

Total = 94.36 :arrow: 93.16

AKNel1 - 20.31/25.42/47.03 = 93.16

Did the row first tonight, 24.11.3 - over 30 seconds inside my PB 8-) & felt OK afterwards
then did the 'walk' 46.00 dead - over a minute inside my best
2 PB's on the board, need to do a 19.48 to break 90 minutes on the Cycle.

after 4Km I'm 6/7 seconds inside 8 minutes and going well albeit tough going. Then the Hamstring started to tighten got to 5km at 10.06 and called it a day. Encouraging though :D

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

I did the ladies' version of this on Monday :D

Just recovering from a cold so I didn't want to push it but I wanted to have a go at this so I did exactly half.

2.5k jog - 18.58
5k cycle - 9.29
2.5k row - 15.12 :shock: That was hardest.

I think I'll do this a few times before doing the full version. :lol:

dk7
Kevin and Perry

Post by dk7 »

Been getting involved in the ledges press up challenge, but dragged myself the gym tonight and thought i'd give the Hotpot challenge a go.

First up bike. Did the 10km in 18m 5s. Pretty happy with that. Had it set between level 10-12 and never dropped below 100rpm.

Second part run. 5km in 27m 42s(had the incline set to 0.5). Bit dissapointed. Was running 5km sub 25m pre xmas farly comfortably. Maybe i paid for the pacey bike...

Third part row. Was apprehensive as never done more than 2km on the rower in one go before! Quick bit of mental arithmatic over the water cooler and i worked out anything under 24mins would break 70 mins total so set off nice and slow with the resistance set to 10. First 2km surprisingly easy so upped the pace, started to pay for it, but then got an awesome tune on the ipod and accelerated through the last 1km to finish in 21m 53s. Was well chuffed once i stopped feeling faint! :lol: The press ups must be paying off as it was my legs that were going. The rower was a bit dodgy though - chain kept catching/jumping - so not sure if my time was impeded or improved.

So 67m 40s total. Definitely room for improvement but won't be in a rush to redo it. After all that all i could i manage was some sit ups and press ups then home!

Reckon rest time between the different diciplines could make a fair difference on the result - i guess i took about 2-3 mins to fill my water up and brief stretch between stages. I did however do the warm down on the bike (3 mins) and run (4mins) which helped bring my heart rate down aswell.

MHiggi
FISOhead

Post by MHiggi »

I've still not quite managed to complete this because I'm still not ready to row for long enough.

This morning I did the 10k cycle in 16:25 to smash my pb, then did the 5k run in my treadmill standard 25mins.

Rowing, and I've built up to doing 2k and I actually broke my pb again (8:28), but it's not enough for the Hotpot Challenge.

One day...

MHiggi
FISOhead

Post by MHiggi »

Today I completed 2 of the 3 disciplines again, but this time I did the cycling/rowing and ignored the running (it seems I'm not a fan of running indoors).

It was the first time I'd gone past 2k on the rower and I was really happy with how it went, and the time I finished with for 5k was 22:47. Didn't feel too out of breath either, although my legs were a bit wobbly after and my back hurt quite a lot (could be a problem).

After a bit of a break I did the 10k cycle in 18:30, and although I still wasn't breathing too heavily I don't think I've ever sweated as much!

I might still go for a road run this afternoon to complete the trio, but I'm guessing the Hotpot Challenge is more aimed at doing them one after another... Still I'm having fun and pleased with my progress.

Cheers

Edit: 5k run completed in 23:27 (give or take the inaccuracy of the Nike+ thingy).

unc.si
Grumpy Old Man

Post by unc.si »

Thought I'd time a quick 10k on my turbo trainer (cycling). 20 minute warm up then did 10k in just under 13 minutes. The same distance on the road would take about 18 minutes. Not really sure how Gym bikes measure distance / speed etc, although I think we've got a couple of free passes to use over Easter so might go down and have a go at the Hotpot challenge and do another 2k row if I get time.

Rob
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rob »

SOBD wrote:Good times CY, especially at that weight...must be all muscle :lol:

I'm around 12 stone and am hoping to improve on my PBs in my second year of "proper" running.
Improve my 5k PB yesterday to 21:03...happy with that.

Now looking to improve my 10k time at a race in June.

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Hotpot wrote:I'll get these down before I forget, but the way I feel right now these PBs could last a lifetime. I never want to see a gym again!

Decided to do the run first today as its my toughest discipline.

5km run - set to 9kph and didn't change it - 33m 20s :D Felt as though I was cruising half way through, even toyed with the idea of upping the pace at one point - thankfully sanity prevailed as I was well and truly eff by the end!

5km row - struggled early on and even thought I might not finish as early as 1.5km in :? Found a second wind and tried not to kill myself settling around 2.10/500m. Managed to speed up through the last 1km - 21m 27s :D

10km bike - really went for it on this and the sweat was pouring off the end of my nose from about half way. Hopefully the fit bird on the runner behind me didn't notice that, but shes bound to have seen my sweaty ass as I got off at the end :lol: Nevermind, 18m 24s :shock:

8-)

Total time - 73m 11s

8-)
Remember this? The post above was from back in Feb and my gym visits for the following months were sporadic at best :|

Been trying to get back into it for a few weeks now but failed to complete this challenge about 6 or 8 times :oops:

So last week I decided I'd complete it no matter how long it took, even if I had to do the whole thing at a snails pace -

5km row - 21m 14.5s - this was crazy, way too fast but at some point I decided I wanted to beat 21.15 and I couldn't stop myself :lol:
5km run - 38m 58s - that was punishment for my row!
10km bike - 22m 54s :?
Total - 83m 06s - almost 10 mins outside the time above :lol:

Last Tuesday lets go again!

5km row - 21m 45s - much more sensible but still probably a bit too fast given how shit I am at running!
5km run - 39m 33s - :o
10km bike - 19m 24s
Total - 80m 42s - at least I'm moving in the right direction :D

Will give this another go very soon...

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

If this challenge is still open, then I am on it. I need the motivation to give up smoking and I really want to start running again. I have so missed the pre race and post race feel.

(disclaimer, I am not that quick my pb's are as follows), but gives me something to be accountable to

5k 24:20
10k 53:12
1/2 marathon 2:04:00

Have done 17 halves in my life and never managed to go sub 2hours. I will get back into it.

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Here goes -

5km Row - 21m 23s :D
5km Run - 35m 59s :D
(5 min break - number 2 needed, I think it was the Rogan Josh from yesterday :oops: )
10km Bike - 18m 26s :D
Total - 75m 48s (doesn't count for the records as it was wind assisted after the rest :wink: )

Still happy with my progress though, only 2m 37s outside my PB :D

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Hotpot wrote:5km Run - 35m 59s :D
(5 min break - number 2 needed, I think it was the Rogan Josh from yesterday :oops: )
D
It's very common for a good run/jog to bring on the need to have a number 2. Imagine how the impact of your feet on the ground makes your manure compact inside ready to be released ;-)

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Another 6 week break :| Thought I best make some sort of effort before I binge drink my way through December :D

Row - 21m 44s
Run - 39m 15s (A lot of walking in this time :oops: )
Bike - 19m 40s

Total - 80m 39s :|

Breaking News - I'm going to display my times in a Bar Chart. Watch this space! :mrgreen:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Hotpot wrote:Another 6 week break :| Thought I best make some sort of effort before I binge drink my way through December :D

Row - 21m 44s
Run - 39m 15s (A lot of walking in this time :oops: )
Bike - 19m 40s

Total - 80m 39s :|

Breaking News - I'm going to display my times in a Bar Chart. Watch this space! :mrgreen:
Can I hijack this thread for just one moment Mr Hotpot?

basically to invite you to a little challenge of my own. A colleague of mine at work and I are hitting the gym tonight and have had a nice little sportmans bet who can row the furthest in 15 minutes (resistance setting of 6).

I don't suppose you are going to the gym this eve? Feel free to have a crack yourself :)

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Next time I'm at the gym and not doing a particular routine I'll see what I can get to in 15mins. Does it have to be resistance 6? I've only ever rowed with it set at 10 - to be honest, I can't feel much difference when I change the rowing resistance?

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

I guess it does have to be at level 6. The guy I am doing it against hasn't rowed for a while. My original suggestion was at a resistance of 8. We negotiated to 6.

I'll post both mine and his distances tomorrow morning........ (or tonight if he is sad enough to text me).

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

half marathon #39 last weekend, 2hrs 20. Be fair to say not training doesnt do much for your times. :lol:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

CanaryYellow wrote:half marathon #39 last weekend, 2hrs 20. Be fair to say not training doesnt do much for your times. :lol:
Which half did you do CY?

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

St Neots.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Hotpot wrote:Next time I'm at the gym and not doing a particular routine I'll see what I can get to in 15mins. Does it have to be resistance 6? I've only ever rowed with it set at 10 - to be honest, I can't feel much difference when I change the rowing resistance?

Ok, first figure set up as a benchmark.

3,165 metres in 15 minutes. I am far from my optimum fitness so I KNOW that can be improved.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”