To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

What am I getting myself into?

A forum for discussion of Football Manager.
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

What am I getting myself into?

Post by Vid »

It was announced on Tuesday that an "FML Council" was to be set up, a small group to meet with members of the SI team to represent the community and discuss the game. I received an invite to be a member of the council this morning :shock:

After tossing it around in my head for a while I've decided to accept, it's a day out if nothing else and it should give me a much better insight into just where the game is going.

There's a fix coming out next week which "should" improve the ME, not sure I want that as I'm winning most of my games at the moment :-) and there does seem to be a drive to engage the players more and make the game more fun than it has been for a while.

There was a comp a couple of days ago where 20 year long subscriptions were on offer, that one suited the hard-core, online all day with good teams, but as a first step it appears to have been received well generally with the promise of more comps to come. Hopefully giving a wider spread of players a chance of winning something.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: What am I getting myself into?

Post by blahblah »

Good luck :wink:

They will probably just listen to the real enthusiasts/obsessives and make it too hard for the casual player, and possibly lose sales as it gets too complicated, and takes too long to play games etc.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote:Good luck :wink:

They will probably just listen to the real enthusiasts/obsessives and make it too hard for the casual player, and possibly lose sales as it gets too complicated, and takes too long to play games etc.
I think part of this is about trying not to lose any more subscribers, encourage more and keep them regardless of whether they're hard core or casual players. There should be reward for effort, a balance between the 2 extremes so that maybe 10 hours a week is optimum, less than that you should struggle to some extent but not too much and a lot more than that not giving you a huge advantage.

Hopefully common sense and compromise will win out.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It is better to travel in hope, than arrive in vain :wink:

From my S/ware Devt experience, I guess the developers are more geeks/hackers than engineers (I have worked at both ends of the spectrum), and tend to develop what they want?

Maybe a few different levels maybe an answer, this could be automated by how much/often people play it.

(We are talking about Football Manager, and Sports Interactive, aren't we?)

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Yep, good old SI, years of experience of releasing games with bugs :-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Vid wrote:Yep, good old SI, years of experience of releasing games with bugs :-)

No different to most of the S/ware Houses that sprung up during the techie-boom :wink:

I blame Gates for making un-engineered 5hit S/ware acceptable.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

A very interesting day yesterday, as always good to put faces to names and to get to see a bit of the personality behind the posts.

We had to sign a NDA so there's very little I can actually report regarding the details of the meeting.

What was clear was that SI/Sega do realize that the game was probably released too early, some of the goal post movements weren't wise or implemented well and that they want the game to work. They've discussed the options internally and I think the 6 member "council" have given them a few more options to consider and maybe ideas for a few tweaks to their preferred way forward.

It was a very frank and open discussion and I think they made good choices for the initial council make up, we listened, we discussed, we disagreed, we criticised but we were the ones that said that we probably weren't representative of the subscribers that they need to reach out to. The ones that never visit the forums let alone post there, the ones that enter the game silently, play silently and then drift away silently.

My main sub ran out today and I'm still unsure of whether to renew, I have 2 box copies sat in the cupboard so could easily, the money's already spent and I have been quite enjoying the game recently - marvellous what winning games will do for your outlook :-) I just don't know how many of those in that GW have/ will renew though, the 50-60 that are active are very active but if a high percentage of those walk away it could turn out to be a ghost town within a few days. Decisions, decisions.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Vid wrote: It was a very frank and open discussion and I think they made good choices for the initial council make up, we listened, we discussed, we disagreed, we criticised but we were the ones that said that we probably weren't representative of the subscribers that they need to reach out to. The ones that never visit the forums let alone post there, the ones that enter the game silently, play silently and then drift away silently.

Like me :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Manager”