To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW5 Strategy

A forum for discussion on the Guardian Fantasy Football game
Not So Special One
Treebeard

GW5 Strategy

Post by Not So Special One »

Something unexpected happened last weekend in Guardian Fantasy Football. The offense won!

GFF's scoring is known to favor the defence, and going into GW4, the four sides at the top of the table were all playing 5 defenders, and two of them also played both defensive midfielders. I was persuaded, went to a 5-2-2-1 - and fell back 3 places in the standings, scoring fewer points than previously. Two of last week's top four also fell back, while places 3-7 in the standings were taken by sides not playing 5 defenders; one was even playing 3!

What happened? First, GW4 was not a good one for defence, with 34 goals scored and only Arsenal keeping a clean sheet. And the GFF players who got into the top 7 were playing Adebayor, Defoe, or both, with few "passengers" among their starting forwards and offensive midfielders. Well done to them!

Meanwhile, my 7 men on defence left room for only 3 up front, and I picked two midfielders (their goals score more points) and one striker, who was Zaki. An obvious choice, and he did indeed score a goal, but Adebayor and his hat trick stayed on the bench. Had I guessed right and played him instead of Zaki, I would have moved well up instead of down. And if I had played a 4-2-2-2 as in GW3, Zaki and Adebayor would certainly have started, and I'd have done even better.

What to do now? Is GFF's scoring bias toward the defence an illusion, and 5-2-2-1 or 5-2-1-2 not the formation of choice? Or was GW4 just a fluke, and we should keep on playing defensive football to get the most GFF points?

Those who are competing for the Guardian's top prizes will probably keep their own counsel, and quite right; too much is at stake to give one's rivals free advice. :) But as a nonresident of the UK, I'm not eligible for the big money or anything else, I'm just playing for fun and maybe a bit of pride, and others in this situation might enjoy talking some strategy too.

It could be that this season, with so many managers (and owners) declaring themselves for attacking, entertaining football, defenders will have a harder time of it. Portsmouth's defenders and keeper were among the best last season, but this August they let in 7 goals in two matches (v. Chelsea and United, to be sure). Four weeks of play have seen only two 0-0 draws, while the winning side has scored more than two goals 15 times (and the losing side more than one goal 5 times) in the 39 league matches so far.

Personally, I hope this continues. Playing defence in GFF is no more fun than watching it on the telly, not for me anyway, and I didn't buy Adebayor, Zaki, Agbonlahor, Fabregas, Lampard, and Deco to see half of them on the bench every week. Probably won't go all the way to a 3-1-3-3 formation; points may not mean prizes for me, but trying for the top of the table does provide something to boast about. :wink: Haven't decided yet what to do, but 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-2-3 look like fun, and to the devil with the points.

Serious players may not be changing their strategies after only one week of bad results, and we won't find out what they're doing until after the GW5 results are in. But if anybody has thoughts about the season so far and GFF strategy, I'd be very interested to read what they have to say, and I'm surely not the only one.

Dan Kennett
Kevin and Perry

Re: GW5 Strategy

Post by Dan Kennett »

the google plug-in for GFF has this week's team of the week as 5-1-3-1 and 234 points

the back 5 plus Denilson all scored 21 points or more. apart from SWP, the GK, Midfielders and Attack all scored 20 or less...

Not So Special One
Treebeard

Post by Not So Special One »

Yes, but...

Picking a team of the highest-scoring players with a computer after the matches have been played is dead easy, but it has nothing to do with playing GFF. For example, the computer had the advantage of knowing that though Carvalho started for Chelsea, Alex came on for him, played 77 minutes, and scored 22 points. Did any of GFF's 85,871 actual players select Alex before mid-day Saturday? I can't imagine that they did or why they would have. No doubt many selected Carvalho, who scored 1 point before he was injured and had to leave the game.

This week Abern's Chums vaulted into first place overall - well done, David Brennan! - with a game week score of 154 if my maths is right, and only four playing defenders. (Five were selected but Davenport didn't play and scored 0. I had that problem too.) Plus two high-scoring defensive midfielders, two offensive midfielders including Shaun Wright-Phillips, and one striker. Torres, Defoe, Deco, and Given were on the bench, and a good thing too this game week.

That said, game week 5's fixture results favored the defence, with 7 clean sheets and mostly low scores except at the Eastlands, so GFF's generosity with defensive points is resuming its normal effect, with #2 and 3 (the previous week's top two) and several others of the top 10 selecting 5 defenders. Oh, and I dropped more than 100 places, but with two of my line-up not even getting onto the pitch, and with a defender and striker who scored 34 points on the bench where they don't count, I never stood a chance. :cry:

So does GFF's computer-generated 'star team' tell us anything useful? Definitely. The total cost of the team was a mere £54.4, showing that a player's price doesn't guarantee a big GFF score in any given game week. It would be a brave manager who would pass over Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Carragher for the likes of Michael Turner and Nyron Nosworthy, but any who did would have come out 21 points (this week) and £9.3 million ahead. David Brennan did exactly that, and his Abern's Chums are now top of the table.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

I think this week was a blip. Many of the teams suffered from Davenport :x and the Man City/Portsmouth game throwing the stats big time.

I will be bringing in Ronaldo, as will everyone else, and I think his influence will tip the balance slightly in favour of the mid/front boys so a 4-2-3-1, or possibly 4-2-2-2 may be the way to go in future.

We shall see, all very enjoyable though and interesting to read your thought NTSO.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football (Ceased)”