To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Guardian Fantasy Football 2008/09

A forum for discussion on the Guardian Fantasy Football game
kcboing
Treebeard

New Guardian game

Post by kcboing »

Haven't seen this one mentioned anywhere yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fantasyfootball/getready" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks interesting - free to enter as well.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Re: New Guardian game

Post by Shaggy365 »

Signed up to play. It's free, so even if I end up doing as well as all the others, it hasn't cost anything.

No further details on web-site apart from £50k prize fund.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

sounds interesting
squad based game with choice of 10 formations
'...points also awarded for crosses, tackles and more...' - probably based on opta stats

SamD
FISO Knight

Guardian FF game

Post by SamD »

Today's Guardian states the competition will launch on their website next Friday, 18 July:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/fantasyfootball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With barely a month to go until the start of the new season, why not take this opportunity to sign up for the most realistic fantasy football game ever? As well as boasting a £50,000 prize fund, our brand new game allows managers to pick from 10 different formations and a scoring system that rewards saves, tackles and crosses as well as simple goals and assists.

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

I played the Guardian game a couple of seasons ago and really enjoyed it, probably helped by the fact that I finished 8th - I think. It was a great game for the transfer mad FFer with 100 available through the season. This looks a little different though, £50,000 - free to enter - you'd be mad not to :wink:

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: Small Profit

Post by anon6 »

looks interesting. Will there be a FISO league :?:

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Guardian Fantasy Football 2008/09

Post by admin »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fantasyfootball/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Launches very soon.

Free to play.

Squad of 15 with a starting XI chosen each week.

10 different formations to choose from (includes 'defensive midfielders').

Tackles and crosses included in the scoring, as well as goals, assists and clean sheets.

£50,000 prize fund.

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Re: Guardian Fantasy Football 2008/09

Post by admin »

Can't be far away now. Think it should launch today.

Devious
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Devious »

Will take a look at the scoring system before I decide.

mighty reds
Treebeard

Post by mighty reds »

looks like it's live now....

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Devious wrote:Will take a look at the scoring system before I decide.
To me it looks pretty innovative...http://fantasyfootball.guardian.co.uk/C ... scoring.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I like the addition of defensive MFs and the way some points are split based on first and second half performances. I'll be giving this a go. Well, who wouldn't - it's free. 8-)

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

I also noticed this:
You can select a maximum of 3 players from any one Premier League club for your squad.

All players will remain at the club they are listed with when the game launches (July 21st 2008) even if they are transferred to another Premier League club in real life after this date.
If I read this right it could make for some interesting choices if some of the predicted inter-Prem switches take place...

The game rules seem quite a bit like FPLs so with the extra transfers and prize fund it could be an interesting experience. :)

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier League Champion 2014-15

Post by The Saint »

"Player values:

Player values will fluctuate during the season dependent on the popularity of the player in the transfer market. Player values will not change until four weeks after the season starts.

Any player value gain or loss will impact on your team budget of £100m."

Time for a new 'crack the code' thread :lol:

Anyone with a spreadsheet of opta stats from last season they are prepared to share will be my new best friend :)

mongoose
FISOhead

Post by mongoose »

Ahh, it has returned, but shame it's not the great Fantasy Chairman game of yesteryear :cry:

Anyway this still looks good, so hopefully it will make an interesting game (with hopefully not too many entrants) :P

Useful actim stats site here for those interested.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

The Saint wrote:"Player values:

Player values will fluctuate during the season dependent on the popularity of the player in the transfer market. Player values will not change until four weeks after the season starts.
Quite interesting that it seems the price is based on who is buying who - so post 4 weeks assuming he is still injured and therefore not being transferred in Ronaldos price will fall - maybe there will then be a chance to put him in before he regains full fitness to grab a bargain before everyone else piles in?

Maybe that's not how it will work - but could be a nice angle (I am not sure if or how this differs from the FPL price movements).

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

Knulpuk wrote:
The Saint wrote:"Player values:

Quite interesting that it seems the price is based on who is buying who - so post 4 weeks assuming he is still injured and therefore not being transferred in Ronaldos price will fall - maybe there will then be a chance to put him in before he regains full fitness to grab a bargain before everyone else piles in?

Maybe that's not how it will work - but could be a nice angle (I am not sure if or how this differs from the FPL price movements).
That's how it used to work. Transfers used to open around 10am on a monday morning and it was chaos...... if a player got injured his price would plummit as everyone got rid. If a player scored a hattrick his would rise as everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I remember when Evra signed during the transfer window, everyone piled in, then he had a shocker against Man City and his price went down. It was all about timing, especially knowing when to put players coming back from injury in...

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

This is crazy :!: , how is anyone suppost to keep their team in the valid amount if players value change al the time. :?

I'm going to have to keep changing my team and at the end, the prices could suddenly change again and i have an invalid team?

andye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by andye »

A couple of stats for you..

Scoring event...Points awarded

........................GK DF DM MF ST
Accurate cross +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
Saves.............. +2
Tackles won...... - +1 +1 +1 +1
Blocked shots... - +1 +1 +1 +1
Interceptions.... - +1 +1 +1 +1
Clearance......... - +1 +1 +1 +1

From last season's OPTA stats..

Most crosses per game - Bentley - 11.24

Most saves per game - Carroll - 4.5

Most tackles per game - Mascherano - 6.6

Most blocks - Dunne - 37 (about 1 per game)

Most interceptions - Clichy - 136 (3 or so per game)

Most clearances - Laursen - 739 (loads per game :wink: )

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

So Laursen would have been awarded 739 points for clearances last season ?? :shock:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

So you are really after unskillful hoofers in a team with few attacking options ahead of a suspect keeper which the defence has no confidence in.

Nice angle. :o

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

shogun wrote:This is crazy :!: , how is anyone suppost to keep their team in the valid amount if players value change al the time. :?

I'm going to have to keep changing my team and at the end, the prices could suddenly change again and i have an invalid team?
I don't think you need to worry. I 'm assuming it will operate the same as before in that you start off with a fixed budget but when the price changes kick in your team value can be over the 100K. You had a kind of float for transfers I seem to remember. The idea before was to finish with the most expensive team. I need to check this out :? Would help if I read the rules......

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Knulpuk wrote:So you are really after unskillful hoofers in a team with few attacking options ahead of a suspect keeper which the defence has no confidence in.

Nice angle. :o
I was thinking this when I read the scoring options. I've not seen a game (although I do tend to focus on FPL) where they use so many stats to build the score. It's going to take a bit of head scratching to think about the best choices. It seems like maybe a big 4 front half and lower level teams for the rear half as you don't want, for example, a GK who never gets to touch the ball.

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

You get 4 points for an assist and 1 point for every accurate cross :shock: so I'm now trying to work out when a pass becomes a cross... Is it a ball that creates a potential goal scoring oportunity......... some players will get a hatful of points for accurate crosses........

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Demo wrote:You get 4 points for an assist and 1 point for every accurate cross :shock: so I'm now trying to work out when a pass becomes a cross... Is it a ball that creates a potential goal scoring oportunity......... some players will get a hatful of points for accurate crosses........
Yes, this must be based on those stats you get at the end of games where it says what % of a players crosses were successful. They must be taking the assists away from this figure to give the accurate crosses. It's going to lead to some players getting tonnes of points.

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by anon6 »

Demo wrote:You get 4 points for an assist and 1 point for every accurate cross :shock: so I'm now trying to work out when a pass becomes a cross... Is it a ball that creates a potential goal scoring oportunity......... some players will get a hatful of points for accurate crosses........
Opta produce stats for crosses and passes.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

Tried in vain to find full Opta stats for last season, but found this which may be interesting for people to have a browse through.

axel
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF superleague winner 08/09 & 11/12, Euro 08 superleague winner, 64th in TFC08, Fantasy Cricket 08/09 + 09/10 SL winner

Post by axel »

Does anyone know which company is running this game? Tempted to give it a go.
Last edited by axel on 22 Jul 2008, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

axel wrote:Does anyone know which company is running this game. Tempted to give it a go.

CleverTV

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Moderator note:

In case any one is interested/confused I've merged the two threads that were discussing this game as the same conversations were taking place in both of them.

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by anon6 »

DrBunker wrote:Moderator note:

In case any one is interested/confused I've merged the two threads that were discussing this game as the same conversations were taking place in both of them.
I'm confused now. :?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football (Ceased)”