To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Re: Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Bit late but watched Dune tonight. Nice esp in theatre.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Just watched Top Gun: Maverick - decent follow up to the original. Really wanted either the Dam Busters theme or ' use the force Luke' in there somewhere.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Vid wrote:Just watched Top Gun: Maverick - decent follow up to the original. Really wanted either the Dam Busters theme or ' use the force Luke' in there somewhere.
Yeah, Maverick was decent, some spectacular and tense flying sequences plus the usual cheese.

Everything Everywhere All at Once however, what an absolutely awful load of junk!
Not quite sure how it’s winning Oscars and getting an 8/10 on IMDB?? I love both Sci-fi and quirky films, but I nearly turned it off at a few points, and only kept going as I was hoping for a payoff (and couldn’t be bothered to try to find something else Image).
Dreadful, 2/10.

Ps enough with the Multiverses in all of the films now pls, it’s really getting tedious.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Rogue agent on Netflix was a decent watch. Has the lead from happy valley in it. Based on a true story.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

jacksosi wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 22:55Everything Everywhere All at Once however, what an absolutely awful load of junk!
Agree completely!
jacksosi wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 22:55Not quite sure how it’s winning Oscars Image.
Because the Oscars are a waste of space.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I saw that it was on Netflix/Amazon but the 5-10 word description put me right off and more fool you 2 for not only watching it, but not turning it off 🤣😂😂😂

Of course it was going to win the Oscars. Not only did it tick nearly every minority group, but had Jamie Lee Curtis as a throw back to Hollywood's golden years through her dad.

Tom Cruise can freak off and go on a Scientology retreat to a distant planet 🙏🙏🙏

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

blahblah wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 07:17I saw that it was on Netflix/Amazon but the 5-10 word description put me right off and more fool you 2 for not only watching it, but not turning it off 🤣😂😂😂
To be fair, I saw it before it came out via a Press link, and still FF'd through most of the last 2/3.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Bullet Train 9/10

Really enjoyed this, very Tarantinoesque, great dialogue, great fights, way OTT.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Razorback wrote: 19 Nov 2008, 23:48 I've been wanting to watch this for a while now (finally got around to it this evening);

Into The Wild

Quite simply this is one of the best films I've seen in the last few years, if you haven't already seen it then do yourself a favour and buy/rent/download a copy ASAP...
I'm a bit late to the party here but I went to slab city and salvation mountain last week and someone there mentioned that it was featured in the film so watched it on the plane back.

very thought provoking about the value of human relationships. one of the few films that I suspect I'll watch again

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Bumping this for Oppenheimer. Bit biased as I'm a Nolan fanboy.. he just doesn't disappoint! (Well, apart from Tenet ) Soundtrack amazing again.. if he uses it more judiciously and gives his main scenes some more time to breathe (like the speech scene), he would surely be among the greats.
Last edited by SirMattBugsby on 04 Aug 2023, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

unc.si. wrote:
Razorback wrote: 19 Nov 2008, 23:48 I've been wanting to watch this for a while now (finally got around to it this evening);

Into The Wild

Quite simply this is one of the best films I've seen in the last few years, if you haven't already seen it then do yourself a favour and buy/rent/download a copy ASAP...
I'm a bit late to the party here but I went to slab city and salvation mountain last week and someone there mentioned that it was featured in the film so watched it on the plane back.

very thought provoking about the value of human relationships. one of the few films that I suspect I'll watch again
What happened to Supertramp (getting disillusioned by his parents' marriage and everything it stood for, including his own achievements) really hits home. Great movie! Eddie Vedder's "Society" Image

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

SirMattBugsby wrote:Oppenheimer.
Way overlong and quite overrated.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Do you, in general, like Nolan's style of screenplay? Those who don't will find it that way, I think. Definitely prefer his earlier work (Memento, Prestige) and Dunkirk..

The length of Oppenheimer wasn't a problem for me personally, I actually wish some segments like his time in university had been given more airtime. The whole thing could have been a good mini-series tbh.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Memento is very good. I've watched it a few times and the first (on TV) was the best as I missed the first few minutes, which give away the ending. It's difficult to explain the way it keeps looping back, but if you can skip the first few mins I guarantee a great w.t.f is happening film, which fits in with Pearce's amnesia.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote: Memento is very good. I've watched it a few times and the first (on TV) was the best as I missed the first few minutes, which give away the ending. It's difficult to explain the way it keeps looping back, but if you can skip the first few mins I guarantee a great w.t.f is happening film, which fits in with Pearce's amnesia.
Image The earlier works are the best.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Tbh I usually watch non-English language films, but I've just ordered a few of his early ones 🤣😂🤣

The Prestige and Insomnia look promising and Tenet was cheap in 4k

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Yeah.. since Inception, his quality has gone down a bit. Uses too many cinematic tricks, although that use was to great effect in Dunkirk. Outside theatre, his later movies don't have the same effect.

Any good foreign film suggestions? Last I watched was Druk

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 18:29 Any good foreign film suggestions? Last I watched was Druk Image
Loads 🤣😂🤣

Off the top of my head

Korean/Oriental
Handmaiden
Guilty of Romance
Coldfish (the film is even better as it's kinda true)
Thirst (the only Vampire film I like)

German
Four Minutes
Pretty much anything with Martina Gedeck in (including Agnosia which is Spanish and an English one with Jeremy Irons, which I think is set in Portugal)
If not us then who - which isn't a prequel but goes just before
Beider Meinhoff
MEINE SCHNE BESCHERUNG - VARI [DVD] [2007] https://amzn.eu/d/hP1pXAd is brilliant, but I've no idea what the title is in English 🤣
The Lives of others
Atomised

French
Nice blanche
Girl on a Bridge
Irreversible

Others
As if I'm not there - my kinda war film.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote:
SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 18:29 Any good foreign film suggestions? Last I watched was Druk Image
Loads ImageImageImage

Off the top of my head

Korean/Oriental
Handmaiden
Guilty of Romance
Coldfish (the film is even better as it's kinda true)
Thirst (the only Vampire film I like)

German
Four Minutes
Pretty much anything with Martina Gedeck in (including Agnosia which is Spanish and an English one with Jeremy Irons, which I think is set in Portugal)
If not us then who - which isn't a prequel but goes just before
Beider Meinhoff
MEINE SCHNE BESCHERUNG - VARI [DVD] [2007] https://amzn.eu/d/hP1pXAd is brilliant, but I've no idea what the title is in English Image
The Lives of others
Atomised

French
Nice blanche
Girl on a Bridge
Irreversible

Others
As if I'm not there - my kinda war film.
Bookmarked (or whatever the kids say). I've seen Irreversible, you could do with missing the first few minutes of that Image

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

SirMattBugsby wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Do you, in general, like Nolan's style of screenplay? Those who don't will find it that way, I think. Definitely prefer his earlier work (Memento, Prestige) and Dunkirk..

The length of Oppenheimer wasn't a problem for me personally, I actually wish some segments like his time in university had been given more airtime. The whole thing could have been a good mini-series tbh.
There has already been at least one series about Oppenheimer!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Has Barbie had a series too?

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

blahblah wrote:Has Barbie had a series too?
It has a prequel called Klaus.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Bob Newhart wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 22:10
blahblah wrote:Has Barbie had a series too?
It has a prequel called Klaus.
Well they are NAZIs 🤷🏻‍♂️

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

murf wrote:
SirMattBugsby wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:

There has already been at least one series about Oppenheimer!
I'd watched documentaries on Manhattan project but didn't know about the mini-series. Thanks!

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 17:44
Bob Newhart wrote:
Do you, in general, like Nolan's style of screenplay?
No, not really, though not exclusively no.

I've no issue with movie length or script complexity, generally... but I feel Nolan deliberately obfuscates and inveigles in order to appear cleverer than he is and that his films tend towards the needlessly overlong.

Of his films, I have never seen Following, didn't like Memento at all and didn't think a lot to Insomnia. I did like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, though as the Caped Crusader goes, I prefered Keaton to Bale and Snyder's Batman vs. Superman to Nolan's take on either of the characters...

I quite liked The Prestige, though as magician movies go, I much preferred The Illusionist which came out the same year. It was, though, better than Now You See Me, Now You wish you hadn't bothered to see the movie.

I liked Inception and Dunkirk a lot. I thought Man of Steel started well but became tiresome after a while. Untimately, I became heartily sick and tired of super-people chucking each other through buildings - it seemed like the last third of the picture was pretty much entirely that. Interstellar was a huge disappointment, great concept but the pretentious sub-par 2001 climax didnt float my boat at all (sunk it, more like). Tenet, I thought, was terrible.

Finally Oppenheimer which, as I said, I find overlong and overrated. I much preferred the recent documentary about the guy which aired on Sky.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Black Snake Moan (2006) - 8/10
Saw a FB post about this, hadn’t seen it, but Sam LJ singing blues, Christina Ricci mostly unclothed, and an an original storyline, decent.

Kate 7/10
Assassin paying back double cross type film, but actually pretty watchable, more violent than expected

Guardians OTG 3 - 5/10
Was looking forward to this, but it was pretty lame, most of the extras were worse than Dr Who quality, shame

A man called Otto 4/10
Tedious, nothingy film. Also, needed to be led by an unknown actor, Tom Hanks is just too well known now for some roles, him overacting to be a cranky old man was just too hard to believe in.

Red Sea Diving Resort - 7/10
Decent enough based on fact story, but felt a bit too glossed over at times, needed to be grittier

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

Saw Blue Beetle last night. Absolute garbage. Even worse than The Flash.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

Post by jacksosi »

Magic wrote:Saw Blue Beetle last night. Absolute garbage. Even worse than The Flash.
I thought the flash was supposed to be good, or is it just the Keaton bits that are good?

Just watched Ant Man : Quantumania, wasn’t expecting much as not keen on the whole multiverses thing, but this was good fun, and had Star Wars / Avatar vibes in places….8/10 from me.

Ps. My family are away in Florida for two weeks, hence the high film turnover Image. I hate rides so stayed to look after the dogs.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

jacksosi wrote: 20 Aug 2023, 23:04
Magic wrote:Saw Blue Beetle last night. Absolute garbage. Even worse than The Flash.
I thought the flash was supposed to be good, or is it just the Keaton bits that are good?
The Keaton bits are great but the rest of it is absolute rubbish.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Seriously? Adam Driver in an absolute shocker of a film, 1/10

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”