The big back 5 - issues

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

The big back 5 - issues

Post by raoul »

Like many, I intend to have a big back 5. Not to everyone's taste of course, but I have concerns for the season start:

- Laporte injured
- Stones lack of matches due to refusal (I assume) to get jabbed
- Chilwell missing from Arsenal drubbing (perhaps this is to his advantage)
- Chelsea may start season with two new CBs
- James might play CB not WB
- Liverpool start against Fulham so surely Salah and Diaz are attractive options, meaning only 1 defender spot
- MC GW1 fixture is quite tough
- Kane is in the goals preseason and has a fantastic first fixture

I am definitely going big 5 atb longer term so will use first WC early to lock into it.

But GW1 needs bigger money up front.

Concur?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: The big back 5 - issues

Post by Mav3rick »

It's tricky because 5 premium defenders leaves no room for the value in the 4.0-5.0 range.

I quite like two defenders being Williams and a 4.5, since it provides the best value bench and two subs. Ederson is much more of a consideration too, and I think he fits in with the 3 premium defender system better, at least for the start of the season anyway.

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

For another day... big atb doesn't have to mean expensive: it's just not being afraid to spend big to get big returns.

I agree with raoul, and will WC into blocs etc from a more fixture driven first however many GW's.

raoul
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

I cannot see the logic in lowering money at the back when defenders give more bang for your buck. Unless of course there is a specific upgrade in midfield perhaps that gets you 50+ points for $2m.

Will Bowen outscore JWP by that?

Maddison over Bruno G?

Bruno F over Maddison...?

Kane over Vardy?

At present I am tinkering with the following front 5 starters:

Diaz/Maddison/Mount
Kane/Jesus

If I were to downgrade my big back 6, which of the above front 5 would get the freed up funds?

(for the record I am only using 2 MC spots, so Kane can be Haaland)

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

My point is more: if Newcastle or Arse are very solid atb then yes I'd go there, but I'm not wasting transfers etc trying to find any gems......

raoul
Grumpy Old Man

Post by raoul »

blahblah wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 12:48 My point is more: if Newcastle or Arse are very solid atb then yes I'd go there, but I'm not wasting transfers etc trying to find any gems......
well yes, but in going there you free up funds so what are you going to do with them that at least makes up the points foregone in defence by going smaller?

If Dias and Ben White play a full season each, I reckon Dias outscores him by 40 pts. Do you have 1.5m of upgrade elsewhere to get those points back? Clearly it depends on who you would be upgrading from, but I am not seeing the potential in my lineup to do it.

My point (I think) is that I do not see a need to hold back in defence. The reason being that I do not see huge points gains above 8m in attack or midfield. Or possibly ANY points gains that are value for money (I suppose if at least two of Son, Kane, Haaland all push 250pts then...)

I think this is all being caused by Jesus being such phenomally good value?

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah »

Yep, to your point of not sparing the cash atb, which doesn't stop Trippier being in my WC squad 😉

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

I think no Salah/single super premium is really the bigger discussion there raoul.

With that constraint taken, then I'd agree with you that big at the back is the way to go as you have to spend the money somewhere.

The teams with two super premiums don't have the front 5 you do, so there's more of a balance to be struck between front and back IMO.

raoul
Grumpy Old Man

Post by raoul »

Mav3rick wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 13:46 I think no Salah/single super premium is really the bigger discussion there raoul.

With that constraint taken, then I'd agree with you that big at the back is the way to go as you have to spend the money somewhere.

The teams with two super premiums don't have the front 5 you do, so there's more of a balance to be struck between front and back IMO.
a very fair point Mav.

Although I feel Jesus and Diaz both have 200 pts in them, and if Harry is committed to the Tottenham cause I can happily captain him most weeks.

I should also note that as I have said elsewhere the above plan is my post-WC set-up. I may take a different view for GW 1-4 (ish) to allow lineups to settle down and defences to get up to speed.

Mo and Harry are highly likely to be in my GW1 set-up at the very least.

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah »

Yep to Mav, your Jesus Diaz point, and post WC.....

Seeing as Mav brought Salah up: I still have him behind the Lpool3 atb (assuming there is no crazy shite with 5 subs), but I'm not sure about Diaz plus 2. There is a freaking load of extra cash with Diaz...... Diaz and Jesus are only a few million more than Salah 😳😳😳😳😳

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I quite like the look of a big three with a big keeper, Williams and a decent 5 or 5.5.

Charade
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Charade »

Spinynorman wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 17:50 I quite like the look of a big three with a big keeper, Williams and a decent 5 or 5.5.
More or less where I'm going at the moment. Alisson, TAA, Cancelo, and two 5s in Cash and Zinchenko. Cucurella in for Zinchenko or Cash if that goes through. Could easily bring in James for a 5, but Chelsea not convincing me at the moment.

cymbalrush84
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in Pendulum Swingers Super League 2006/7

Post by cymbalrush84 »

Charade wrote:
Spinynorman wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 17:50 I quite like the look of a big three with a big keeper, Williams and a decent 5 or 5.5.
More or less where I'm going at the moment. Alisson, TAA, Cancelo, and two 5s in Cash and Zinchenko. Cucurella in for Zinchenko or Cash if that goes through. Could easily bring in James for a 5, but Chelsea not convincing me at the moment.
I too will be monitoring Cucurella, means I can lose Ederson for a cheaper keeper.

Besides that, I have Williams, Trent, and 3 5.0 defenders. I’ll be sticking to those price points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oatfedgoat
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 573rd in FPL 09/10. 176pts in DGW22 of 09/10.

Post by Oatfedgoat »

Like many people, I started out with 5 premium defenders.
Due to some of these not being nailed on starters I am shifting things around.
The likes of Chelsea and some city defenders could take an early price drop if they don’t start Gw1 and the masses panic.

My current thinking is to play it as safe as possible with nailed on starters for the early weeks.
Quite liking having Robertson as a bit of a differential as well.

Ederson
TAA Cancelo Robertson Trippier (Williams)

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah »

Oatfedgoat wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 14:02 Like many people, I started out with 5 premium defenders.
The likes of Chelsea and some city defenders could take an early price drop if they don’t start Gw1 and the masses panic.

My current thinking is to play it as safe as possible with nailed on starters for the early weeks.

Ederson
Congrats on agreeing with my 1st 4 Def's 😂🤣😂

I've realised that I've been looking too season-long, when I should only be looking at the first 6ish GWs as I'll be WC'ing around then.

You do follow Chelsea? What are you thinking of how they will start the season?

Luxmonk
Treebeard

Post by Luxmonk »

I’m quite set on this, at least for the first couple of fixtures:-

Ederson
TAA Cancelo James Trippier Cash

Oatfedgoat
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 573rd in FPL 09/10. 176pts in DGW22 of 09/10.

Post by Oatfedgoat »

blahblah wrote:
Oatfedgoat wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 14:02 Like many people, I started out with 5 premium defenders.

Ederson
Congrats on agreeing with my 1st 4 Def's ImageImageImage

I've realised that I've been looking too season-long, when I should only be looking at the first 6ish GWs as I'll be WC'ing around then.

You do follow Chelsea? What are you thinking of how they will start the season?
Chelsea’s pre season hasn’t been good and Tuchel has been incredibly negative about their situation.

This plus Chillewells injury makes their defence just too much of a risk for me. …..

As I’m typing this, I’m now gonna try a draft with JamesImage

All these 200 point defenders is making them essential to own and is creating the boring templates imo.

Oh for the old days of using skill and rotating a load of 4.0 and 4.5 defenders to enable 3 premiums in a team.

Now I’m so heavy at the back that I can only afford 1 premium with out decimating the rest of the team.

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

Can you feed a goat oats?

goooner
Red & Blue Braces

Post by goooner »

Oatfedgoat wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 14:02

Ederson
I do like Robertson, but having trouble to fit him in together with Salah. 1 mil to much. It would need a Team with Neto and Martinelli.

Maybe possible on a WC when thing settles. Also i do not think that Robertson’s price Will skyrocket. Its hard to get there with FT’s.

Also my FOMO if Diaz nails it first week with a hattrick, Or any Other 8 mill midfielder, Sancho?) and im stuck with Roberson?

On the other hand, Robertson could be a a safe placeholder to jump on James - if starting without him.
Can we really afford to play a whole season without James? :)

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

goooner wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 08:24 Can we really afford to play a whole season without James? :)
Oh, sit down
Oh, sit down
Oh, sit down
Sit down next to me

raoul
Grumpy Old Man

Post by raoul »

Mav3rick wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 09:09
goooner wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 08:24 Can we really afford to play a whole season without James? :)
Oh, sit down
Oh, sit down
Oh, sit down
Sit down next to me
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor

raoul
Grumpy Old Man

Post by raoul »

Anyone care to suggest a line to add?

If I hadn't seen that Rishi, I .....

cymbalrush84
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in Pendulum Swingers Super League 2006/7

Post by cymbalrush84 »

raoul wrote:
Mav3rick wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 09:09
Oh, sit down
Oh, sit down
Oh, sit down
Sit down next to me
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
Wah wah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

It will either end up being a masterstroke or an inflexible turgid mess. Nothing in between.

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah »

Is that what happened after the earwig crawled into my ear? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah »

blahblah wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 11:11 For another day... big atb doesn't have to mean expensive: it's just not being afraid to spend big to get big returns.

I agree with raoul, and will WC into blocs etc from a more fixture driven first however many GW's.
I'm still on this.

I intend to BB on the 1st 2 GWs with Wolves and the Skunks having interesting fixtures to go with Lpool, Citeh and Arse. However picking the squad is hurting my head more than a kinda long term one 🤦🤦🤦

In terms of Big atb Arse and the Skunks could provide a bit of nearly as much for a whack less, which keeps the PpMillion up where it needs to be high. 🤔🤔🤔

I can't remember the exact maffs but the Lpool and Citeh God's are expected to get 18+ CS's and the attacking returns of a mediocre midfielder. In theory Trippier can match the attacking returns, assuming he is on set-pieces and they get enough close enough to goal, and Arsenal may be ready to step up to the 15 CS mark? These other clubs could be relevant if the Citeh defence becomes too variable, and I'm having my doubts due to 3 atb suspicions. Apparently Phillips has played CB, and with Rodrigo as a holding mid kinda thing Pep could rock a 3142 kinda 352 variation.....

Please don't throw Chelsea at me, until they look vaguely like a team, which may be after 2Holes is sacked.

I've only omitted Spurs because I haven't really looked at their WBs due to having no knowledge/confidence about who will start. As such going BB early will buy me time to scout these positions. I didn't watch their defence enough last season to know if their CBs get enough attacking points... do they?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

blahblah wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 19:42 Trippier can match the attacking returns, assuming he is on set-pieces and they get enough close enough to goal
There's nothing in his history to support that. He scored 2 goals last year from xG 0.23, with no history of exceeding xG, and averages an assist every 5 games.

raoul
Grumpy Old Man

Post by raoul »

Stones now a lock for first few GW? Some actual news re Laporte helps my planning.

Appreciate it doesn't help Laporte but...

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Might Ake not play? Or maybe both will play against West Ham (Ake at LB), but then going forward into the nice fixtures, I'm not sure who would partner Dias.

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

raoul wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 23:11 Stones now a lock for first few GW? Some actual news re Laporte helps my planning.

Appreciate it doesn't help Laporte but...
"Laporte is injured. He had surgery after the last few games when he made an incredible effort," he said.

"He's looking really well but we have to be careful because it was a knee. He needs time. I think he will be out for August and then maybe he will start to be with us in September."

from Pep

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”