To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Ten Hag

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Guppings
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Distant memory

Re: Ten Hag

Post by Guppings »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:22 Yeah, it was much tougher when we had to play the likes of Malmo, Hamburg and Munchin’ Flapjack in the finals ;)
Ignorants is bliss :roll: Borussia Mönchengladbach practically dominated the Bundesliga in that era :lol:

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:59
plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:58
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:48 Britain doesn't really have that history of promoting from within, with only Lpool in the 70s being of note?

Would Bobby Robson get Jose et al?
Liverpool's tree started with Paisley in 74 and ended with Roy Evans in 94, that was some run.
Surely they glow from Shankley?
If you are talking Shankly it actually started back in the late 50's.
The reason I mentioned Paisley was because you chose Liverpool and the 70's as your example.
You can't have it both ways. :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:42
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:48 Britain doesn't really have that history of promoting from within, with only Lpool in the 70s being of note?

Liverpool's tree started with Paisley in 74 and ended with Roy Evans in 94, that was some run.
The reason I mentioned Paisley was because you chose Liverpool and the 70's as your example.
His succession started in the 70s 😉

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Exactly with Paisley

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

My bad though, I did say the tree started with Paisley, that is incorrect. I should have said succession.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:09 As the Americans do it, it’s not just about direct succession, anyone who was an assistant or even player under one of the greats would be in their coaching tree. So both Jose and Pep would be under Sir Bobby’s, for example.
I get it now, I had never heard of a coaching tree before.
This is what you get when you start bringing americanisms into soccer. :wink:

Guppings
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Guppings »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 13:03 I think this guy deserves his own thread. If I was a Utd fan I would be quite pleased. Some people might say he lacks experience managing a big club but I would disagree. Ajax are one of the most successful clubs in world football and have actually won the European Cup more times than Utd, and their academy is probably second to none. He served his apprenticeship under Pep at Bayern and has done an excellent job at Ajax. I think he is ready for this mammoth task. Ruth_NZ will probably do a deeper dive into his background but in the meantime it would be nice to hear what others think.
I cant see him or anyone else turning things around in the near future tbh, certainly not in an 18 month time frame.

Rather than list the players that need to go, its a much shorter list for those we keep of the regulars:

De Gea & Henderson (dont think he'll want another season on the bench)
Fernandes
Mctominay
Elanga
Sancho

Granted, that's brutal but even if you add one or two that's at least 3 seasons to shape a new team. :wink:

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Guppings wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:53
plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 13:03 I think this guy deserves his own thread. If I was a Utd fan I would be quite pleased. Some people might say he lacks experience managing a big club but I would disagree. Ajax are one of the most successful clubs in world football and have actually won the European Cup more times than Utd, and their academy is probably second to none. He served his apprenticeship under Pep at Bayern and has done an excellent job at Ajax. I think he is ready for this mammoth task. Ruth_NZ will probably do a deeper dive into his background but in the meantime it would be nice to hear what others think.
I cant see him or anyone else turning things around in the near future tbh, certainly not in an 18 month time frame.

Rather than list the players that need to go, its a much shorter list for those we keep of the regulars:

De Gea & Henderson (dont think he'll want another season on the bench)
Fernandes
Mctominay
Elanga
Sancho

Granted, that's brutal but even if you add one or two that's at least 3 seasons to shape a new team. :wink:
Wow that is a brutal cull.

It will take a few years considering the bar has been raised since Pep turned up and it took him a couple of years.
Top four has to be the aim for the foreseeable future with the a couple of decent cup runs.
Welcome to Arsenal's world. :lol:

Guppings
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Guppings »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:43
plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:42

His succession started in the 70s 😉
Shankly's management:

Liverpool

Football League First Division: 1963–64, 1965–66, 1972–73
Football League Second Division: 1961–62
FA Cup: 1964–65, 1973–74
FA Charity Shield: 1964, 1965, 1966
UEFA Cup: 1972–73

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

His trophy haul isn't the greatest but no one can ever match his love and passion for the game.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

plasticninja wrote:
forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:22 Yeah, it was much tougher when we had to play the likes of Malmo, Hamburg and Munchin’ Flapjack in the finals ;)
It was a lot more exciting though, playing teams you had never heard of before. Partizan Belgrade shocked a few people at the time with their style of play.
Yep. They shocked Shankly (or was it Paisley?) early/mid 70s and the Liverpool ways were changed leading to the European dominance.

PS the boot root legacy at Liverpool actually started before Shankly with him inheriting Paisley and a couple of others.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

murf wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 16:22
plasticninja wrote:
It was a lot more exciting though, playing teams you had never heard of before. Partizan Belgrade shocked a few people at the time with their style of play.
Yep. They shocked Shankly (or was it Paisley?) early/mid 70s and the Liverpool ways were changed leading to the European dominance.

PS the boot root legacy at Liverpool actually started before Shankly with him inheriting Paisley and a couple of others.
Okay, interesting, I didn't know that.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 16:07 His trophy haul isn't the greatest but no one can ever match his love and passion for the game.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
And the fact that he set up a dynasty, which reflects as much on him as it does on Paisley who exceeded his trophy haul (and handed over to a further two successful incumbents himself). Whereas Busby and Ferguson for example stepped aside and watched things unravel under their successors.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 16:07 His trophy haul isn't the greatest but no one can ever match his love and passion for the game.

Except the quote is a load of garbage, shirley?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

How are you measuring that? What's the internationally recognised unit of football passion?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Darbyand wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 17:10
How are you measuring that? What's the internationally recognised unit of football passion?
The Shankly, presumably ;)

Guppings
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Guppings »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:25
Guppings wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:19

WOW :!: I agree :lol: He got them up from Div 2 & built a method of play that was the foundation to their amazing success. As a club Liverpool's history, in my view, wont be equaled. In fact, it cant be. 3 European Cups won before it was dumbed down from the champions of a country to playing 4th placed in a league :mrgreen:

I effin hate'm :lol:
Of course Shankly started it but he came from outside of the club. Paisley was the first manager to follow from within.
Shankly in my mind is the greatest manager ever.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5K4O0j7j30[/youtube]

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Guppings, that feature works by only using the code at the end of the URL. So in your example you'd just use this bit surrounded by the YouTube brackets:

i5K4O0j7j30

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 16:52

You really are nit picking today aren't you. :lol:

Are you still stinging from your Bitcoin debate loss. :wink:

"Somebody said that football's a matter of life and death to you, I said 'listen, it's more important than that'."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xodsnEQC-H0

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Darbyand wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 17:10
Dont be getting jealous son. :wink:

Ferguson doesn't even come close.

Just my opinion.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

"This means more" "Imagine being us". Zzzzzz. If we're throwing managerial aphorisms around, then as Wenger tartly pointed out, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Darbyand wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 17:47 "This means more" "Imagine being us". Zzzzzz. If we're throwing managerial aphorisms around, then as Wenger tartly pointed out, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.
Fergie really flipped when he heard that. :lol:

And for what it's worth I am not a Liverpool fan, I am an Arsenal supporter, for my sins.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Pep apparently said Ten Hag could be a candidate to succeed him. Well, I suppose if he succeeds at United he might be considered for the step up ;)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 17:40
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 16:52

You really are nit picking today aren't you. :lol:

Are you still stinging from your Bitcoin debate loss. :wink:

"Somebody said that football's a matter of life and death to you, I said 'listen, it's more important than that'."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xodsnEQC-H0
One of my few talents 😉

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

You are a man of many talents blah.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 18:42 You are a man of many talents blah.
Aw thanks 😊😊😊

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

I love you buddy. :wink:

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Guppings wrote:Rather than list the players that need to go, its a much shorter list for those we keep of the regulars :wink:
Here's my list of those we should keep...

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Seriously, who would you all keep - bearing in mind they won't buy 22 new players at once.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

murf wrote:Seriously, who would you all keep - bearing in mind they won't buy 22 new players at once.
None of them deserve to stay. Literally, not a single one of them.

As to what the club will actually do, I doubt God even knows...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”