To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Ten Hag

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Ten Hag

Post by plasticninja »

I think this guy deserves his own thread. If I was a Utd fan I would be quite pleased. Some people might say he lacks experience managing a big club but I would disagree. Ajax are one of the most successful clubs in world football and have actually won the European Cup more times than Utd, and their academy is probably second to none. He served his apprenticeship under Pep at Bayern and has done an excellent job at Ajax. I think he is ready for this mammoth task. Ruth_NZ will probably do a deeper dive into his background but in the meantime it would be nice to hear what others think.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Re: Ten Hag

Post by Bob Newhart »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 13:03Ruth_NZ will probably do a deeper dive into his background but in the meantime it would be nice to hear what others think.
I have my reservations, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

What about Ten Hag, what's your view on him?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

It’s perhaps the toughest job in top-level football, which nobody would be anywhere near guaranteed to succeed at. But he seems as sound an appointment as any they could realistically have made - a rising star manager, despite being in his 50s, with European pedigree and none of the baggage associated with some of his recent predecessors.

He seems to have strong views on how to turn things in the right direction, which is a positive sign. A lot depends on how the fans and players take to him, and his methods and style of play, which is hard to predict in advance. I hope he will be given a bit more rope than some of those who came before him, as it’s clear a major rebuild is needed even to get them to third best behind the two all-time great Premier League teams just down the road. Is the job too big for him? Is it too big for anyone on this planet? Time will tell, I suppose.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Piece of piss job: just get Roy Keane in for training once a week and the Dressing Room after every match 🤺🤺🤺

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 13:39 It’s perhaps the toughest job in top-level football, which nobody would be anywhere near guaranteed to succeed at. But he seems as sound an appointment as any they could realistically have made - a rising star manager, despite being in his 50s, with European pedigree and none of the baggage associated with some of his recent predecessors.

He seems to have strong views on how to turn things in the right direction, which is a positive sign. A lot depends on how the fans and players take to him, and his methods and style of play, which is hard to predict in advance. I hope he will be given a bit more rope than some of those who came before him, as it’s clear a major rebuild is needed even to get them to third best behind the two all-time great Premier League teams just down the road. Is the job too big for him? Is it too big for anyone on this planet? Time will tell, I suppose.
Time will tell indeed.
I have been watching his Ajax team on Youtube and Total Football springs to mind.
I know Guardiola is a big fan, being a Cruyff disciple himself.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Modern football is pretty much Total Football with a high press?

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:15 Modern football is pretty much Total Football with a high press?
It was made famous under Ajax manger Rinus Michels, who Cruyff played under, and Guardiola played Cruyff.
Ten Hag has links to both.
Rinus Michels is the architect of the modern game.
Last edited by plasticninja on 21 Apr 2022, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

One or two seem concerned that they’ll get Van Gaal-ball instead of the more direct attacking style they believe is the “United way”…

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:23 One or two seem concerned that they’ll get Van Gaal-ball instead of the more direct attacking style they believe is the “United way”…
He has three pictures hanging on his office wall, Michels, Cruyff and Van Gaal. :lol:
Looking at his Ajax team they play more like Pep's city.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:22
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:15 Modern football is pretty much Total Football with a high press?
It was made famous under Ajax manger Rinus Michels, who Cruyff played under, and Guardiola played Cruyff.
Didn't the Hungarians have something to do with that?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:29
forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:23 One or two seem concerned that they’ll get Van Gaal-ball instead of the more direct attacking style they believe is the “United way”…
He has three pictures hanging on his office wall, Michels, Cruyff and Van Gaal. :lol:
Looking at his Ajax team they play more like Pep's city.
It depends on the interpretation of direct - it certainly won't be hoofball 😉

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:29
The Austrians were the first and then River Plate, followed by Hungary and Burnley :shock:

Rinus Michels without a doubt though made it famous with his dominant Ajax team of the early seventies.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:35
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:29
The Austrians were the first and then River Plate, followed by Hungary and Burnley :shock:

Rinus Michels without a doubt though made it famous with his dominant Ajax team of the early seventies.
A lot of inventions are like that eg Stevenson and the Rocket...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Surprising nobody compiles “coaching trees” as per NFL really.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:40 Surprising nobody compiles “coaching trees” as per NFL really.
Chuck Hughes probably banned them with his POMO garbage, which trashed British football for decades.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:41
forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:40 Surprising nobody compiles “coaching trees” as per NFL really.
Chuck Hughes probably banned them with his POMO garbage, which trashed British football for decades.
Would be Europe-wide or even worldwide though, certainly not UK-specific (the British coaching tree has been of the bonsai variety in the last 30 years, really… even Ferguson and Clough proteges have been almost invariably shite.)

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 13:39 ..... behind the two all-time great Premier League teams just down the road.
two of the all-time great etc

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Britain doesn't really have that history of promoting from within, with only Lpool in the 70s being of note?

Would Bobby Robson get Jose et al?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Darbyand wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:47
forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 13:39 ..... behind the two all-time great Premier League teams just down the road.
two of the all-time great etc
Yeah, not implying they are definitely the best two of all time (didn’t say greatest…) United ‘99 are certainly up there, along with perhaps the Cantona era team (‘94?) and the Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez (‘08?) teams. Arsenal’s Invincibles and maybe Mourinho’s first Chelsea side qualify as well.

None of the above managed the relentless 90+ point seasons we’re seeing from Pep and Klopp’s sides, but the financial disparities within the league are greater now I suppose.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:48 Britain doesn't really have that history of promoting from within, with only Lpool in the 70s being of note?

Liverpool's tree started with Paisley in 74 and ended with Roy Evans in 94, that was some run.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:58
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:48 Britain doesn't really have that history of promoting from within, with only Lpool in the 70s being of note?

Liverpool's tree started with Paisley in 74 and ended with Roy Evans in 94, that was some run.
Surely they glow from Shankley?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, Dalglish came back, briefly…

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

True but the chain was broken.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

As the Americans do it, it’s not just about direct succession, anyone who was an assistant or even player under one of the greats would be in their coaching tree. So both Jose and Pep would be under Sir Bobby’s, for example.

Guppings
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Distant memory

Post by Guppings »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:59

WOW :!: I agree :lol: He got them up from Div 2 & built a method of play that was the foundation to their amazing success. As a club Liverpool's history, in my view, wont be equaled. In fact, it cant be. 3 European Cups won before it was dumbed down from the champions of a country to playing 4th placed in a league :mrgreen:

I effin hate'm :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, it was much tougher when we had to play the likes of Malmo, Hamburg and Munchin’ Flapjack in the finals ;)

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Guppings wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:19
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 14:59

WOW :!: I agree :lol: He got them up from Div 2 & built a method of play that was the foundation to their amazing success. As a club Liverpool's history, in my view, wont be equaled. In fact, it cant be. 3 European Cups won before it was dumbed down from the champions of a country to playing 4th placed in a league :mrgreen:

I effin hate'm :lol:
Of course Shankly started it but he came from outside of the club. Paisley was the first manager to follow from within.
Shankly in my mind is the greatest manager ever.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:22 Yeah, it was much tougher when we had to play the likes of Malmo, Hamburg and Munchin’ Flapjack in the finals ;)
It was a lot more exciting though, playing teams you had never heard of before. Partizan Belgrade shocked a few people at the time with their style of play.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

plasticninja wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:33
forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:22 Yeah, it was much tougher when we had to play the likes of Malmo, Hamburg and Munchin’ Flapjack in the finals ;)
It was a lot more exciting though, playing teams you had never heard of before. Partizan Belgrade shocked a few people at the time with their style of play.
Ah, the days of Red Star, Steua etc 👏👏👏👏👏

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”