To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Anyone fancy a Dutch Reach?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Anyone fancy a Dutch Reach?

Post by unc.si. »

Everyone up on the Highway Code changes that have just come in?

Mostly just putting some common sense things that drivers should be doing anyway into writing. Unless you write for the Mail, in which case it’s woke madness emasculating drivers.

I made the mistake of reading some of the Mail readers comments. Wow. There are a lot of angry people out there πŸ˜€

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Re: Anyone fancy a Dutch Reach?

Post by Bob Newhart »

Dutch Reach?

Sound like something you might have experienced in a certain part of the Netherlands' most (in)famous city.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

This is where a cyclist can ride in the middle of the road (on slower roads admittedly) ?

Having been a cyclist in my time and a driver, but more inclined to use public transport these days if I can, I reckon it's gonna wind some drivers up the wrong way. Probably some of those driving HGVS and buses - the ones that really need to take heed and give space to cyslists - won't change their stance.

However, it does seem to have drifted under the radar as most of the press are fixated on "partygate".

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Saw a bit on the local news where they were asking people in the street if they knew about the changes (general answer - 'no'). Did they even attempt to tell me what the changes were? No. Do I know what they are? No!

I know what a Dutch Reach is but didn't realise it was now officially advised!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I thought we all use the Dutch Reach 😱😱😱😱

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Bit on Radio news about how it hasn't been publicised well enough. Still not saying what the changes are (or mentioning Dutch Reaches)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I thought all drivers bought and studied every new edition of the Highway Code πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

I wish they'd call it something other than Dutch Reach...I always end up thinking of this :

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: ↑29 Jan 2022, 11:21 However, it does seem to have drifted under the radar as most of the press are fixated on "partygate".
Well, when he does the decent thing and resigns, or the backbenchers get their leadership challenge in, they can move on ;)

Sounds like the "Daily Mail version" isn't really the truth anyway... apparently it doesn't actually suggest cycling in the middle of the road/side by side when a driver is desperately trying to get past. Will have to read it properly and see what it really implies.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

forestfan wrote: ↑29 Jan 2022, 12:48
bluenosey wrote: ↑29 Jan 2022, 11:21 However, it does seem to have drifted under the radar as most of the press are fixated on "partygate".
Well, when he does the decent thing and resigns, or the backbenchers get their leadership challenge in, they can move on ;)

Sounds like the "Daily Mail version" isn't really the truth anyway... apparently it doesn't actually suggest cycling in the middle of the road/side by side when a driver is desperately trying to get past. Will have to read it properly and see what it really implies.
just clarifies that cyclists are allowed to ride in the centre of the lane (not the road) where appropriate for safety reasons (ie approaching roundabouts, in slow moving traffic etc) or on quiet roads. Stuff that most competent cyclists do anyway but drivers seem to get excessively angry about
also says that cyclists can ride two abreast and that it can be safer to do so, but that cyclists should be aware of whats behind them and allow people to pass when safe if they're causing undue delay.

most of the rest is about bigger more dangerous things on the road having to give way to smaller more vulnerable things.

I don't think the Daily Mail version of anything is the truth, but particularly so when it comes to cyclists :-)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

bluenosey wrote: ↑29 Jan 2022, 11:56 I wish they'd call it something other than Dutch Reach...I always end up thinking of this :

:D :D

just dont get it confused with a Dutch reacharound: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... h%20around

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Highway Code changes
only real new change is that pedestrians have right of way when waiting to cross at a junction that you're turning into/ exiting

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Vid wrote: Highway Code changes
only real new change is that pedestrians have right of way when waiting to cross at a junction that you're turning into/ exiting
As a pedestrian I won't be trusting that car drivers a) have seen me and b) know the new law!

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

murf wrote: ↑30 Jan 2022, 11:23
As a pedestrian I won't be trusting that car drivers a) have seen me and b) know the new law!
Exactly ... I also wait until cars actually stop at zebra crossings as well.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

RomynPG wrote: ↑30 Jan 2022, 15:27
Exactly ... I also wait until cars actually stop at zebra crossings as well.
We're actually very good stopping at zebra crossings. Just doesn't happen in say, France or Italy - you'll get wiped out.

The only issue I see with this is turning left off, say, a really busy A road and someone decides to stroll out - you can't give way before turning because someone will ram you up the backside (I know in theory that's there fault for driviing too close but it's the type of incident that could happen)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm not sure this is new, as the pedestrian going in a straight line has right of way over a vehicle turning left.

I don't drive anymore, but the ignorance of the yellow boxes at traffic lights is a pi55er for me crossing as those that should stop don't.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

Reminds me when I was learning to drive my father used to say
"Do you want to be in the right, or do you want a smashed up car?" :roll:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm looking forward to plenty of Dutch reaching in the Speed Skating - why do they wear outfits for this? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to β€œStuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”