To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Extra Free Hit

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Extra Free Hit

Post by blahblah »

wonkypenguin wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 22:31 Interesting that you can't play them in consecutive gameweeks... Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing
Probably too difficult to code re price changes....

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

I instinctively hate it, because I don't like change and it feels unfair to add it now. However, the Free Hit is the most powerful chip and quite different to the TC and BB in that it can lead to a loss of points if played badly or unluckily. So there is the potential for making up significant ground if the pied piper's route turns out to not be the optimum. There are going to be so many DGWs (and maybe short gameweeks) so plenty of opportunity to follow a different strategy to the masses, if desired.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Bobby Fetta wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 23:34 I instinctively hate it, because I don't like change and it feels unfair to add it now. However, the Free Hit is the most powerful chip and quite different to the TC and BB in that it can lead to a loss of points if played badly or unluckily. So there is the potential for making up significant ground if the pied piper's route turns out to not be the optimum. There are going to be so many DGWs (and maybe short gameweeks) so plenty of opportunity to follow a different strategy to the masses, if desired.
Just think: you have 2 GWs with Britknee πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Nailer6245
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Nailer6245 »

From4corners wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 15:08 To quote one of my friends, "the one silver lining was that if you suffered through the postponed games you'd be more likely to have DGW players in your team. That advantage has now been taken away as everyone can easily hop on those players now".
Yep - I know Covid is always going to fall unevenly, but very frustrated to have been walloped by it two seasons in a row. :lol:

Like many I held the Wildcard until GW16 targeting the fixture swing, built a nice squad of fifteen with some great differentials just as rivals were struggling to respond to injuries etc. But then the Covid hammer falls arbitrarily, best differentials (United etc) cancelled while other games inexplicably go ahead (Chelsea ffs!). Suffered through a couple of gameweeks with 8ish players at a time when the wildcard should’ve meant a big squad advantage, thinking hey, at least I can hold De Gea etc and benefit during the coming doubles. But now everyone will have mostly the same perfect FH DGW22 team anyway, and the opportunity to claw back some of that bad luck is gone. :roll:

Bah, humbug! :lol:

Kris_fiso
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Kris_fiso »

Two Free hits in a season

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Finisher1 wrote:
You probably shouldn't plan for more than 3-4 gameweeks forward even in normal circumstances, and especially not in COVID circumstances.
Trust me, I don't plan more than 3-4 GWs ahead.

Having reflected on it, it's not actually clear to me what the implications are just yet. As others have suggested, if there's a way to avoid the obvious route then there might be some ground to be made.

But yeah, changing the rules when the season is still going is stupid.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

blahblah wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 22:20
Malrom wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 22:04
BΓΈlla pinnsvin wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 22:00 Not a welcome gift. But I kind of understand why they choose to do so.
Rules should stay unchanged as I see it.

It's possible to argue that because they changed the rules last season this (risk of rule changes) is now part of the game. But it's not the kind of game I prefer to play. I prefer normal, bad luck for all.
I'm the one who has the normal bad luck for myself, though! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought Lucky had all the bad luck πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
:lol: :lol: :lol: πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Nailer6245 wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 23:48
From4corners wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 15:08 To quote one of my friends, "the one silver lining was that if you suffered through the postponed games you'd be more likely to have DGW players in your team. That advantage has now been taken away as everyone can easily hop on those players now".
Yep - I know Covid is always going to fall unevenly, but very frustrated to have been walloped by it two seasons in a row. :lol:

Like many I held the Wildcard until GW16 targeting the fixture swing, built a nice squad of fifteen with some great differentials just as rivals were struggling to respond to injuries etc. But then the Covid hammer falls arbitrarily, best differentials (United etc) cancelled while other games inexplicably go ahead (Chelsea ffs!). Suffered through a couple of gameweeks with 8ish players at a time when the wildcard should’ve meant a big squad advantage, thinking hey, at least I can hold De Gea etc and benefit during the coming doubles. But now everyone will have mostly the same perfect FH DGW22 team anyway, and the opportunity to claw back some of that bad luck is gone. :roll:

Bah, humbug! :lol:
Yeah I did a similar move, not with a wildcard but 3 transfers for a -4 in gw16 to try and get ahead of the curve on man utd and west ham. Well it was a f*cking disaster! Not only that but as you say everyone who was behind the curve and still holding onto assets who had run their course and who everyone was talking about getting rid of (Alonso-no returns, ESR-injured and a rotation risk, Raphinha - dreadful fixtures) was rewarded with these assets having fixtures and ended up actually ahead of the curve! Even when Leeds has 15 year olds on the bench and Chelsea requested postponement. Not only that, these assets returned in all sorts of unlikely ways, Raphinha inexplicably on penalties when he never has been in his career before, ESR scoring from one shot 10 minute bench cameos every week, Alonso being dragged off at 60 minutes and getting a clean sheet before Chelsea concede, it's sickening to be honest.

It's not even the free hit thing that's gone against us. At the weekend we knew villa and Chelsea were both riddled with recent covid cases, so there was a good chance their game against each other wouldn't go ahead on boxing Day or even their games on the 28th given the 10 day isolation requirements and the premier league's willingness to postpone games recently. What happens this week? The government chops isolation to 7 days and the premier league decides that games will go ahead even if you have 13 men. :lol: So now we can't even benefit from other games being postponed which we have deliberately avoided players from like villa and Chelsea! It's just one thing after another at the moment and if you're on the right side of luck you are being rewarded again and again and if you're on the wrong side you're being repeatedly punished.

So this will be another season of fighting a rearguard action from a position ruined by the disproportionate impact of covid on my team. Sigh.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Kris_fiso wrote: ↑22 Dec 2021, 23:52 Two Free hits in a season
No, really? :shock:

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC KΓΆln 5AS Champions