To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Newcastle General Discussion 23/24

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Newcastle Saudi takeover

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 11:43
forestfan wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 11:07 Newcastle city proper is around 300k but Tyneside urban area more 800-900k depending on exact definition.

In US sports they talk about media market size which is a bit of an ugly corporate term but is more accurate assessment of catchment area for support given it’s hard to define where a “city” begins and ends beyond sometimes arbitrary administrative boundaries (e.g. West Bridgford where the City Ground is located is technically outside the Nottingham city boundary, though contiguous with the main urban area).
True - a team like Norwich actually has a catchment area of pretty much the whole of Norfolk (one of our largest counties) and bits beyond until you support Ipswich/Lincoln/Cambridge Utd. Man U is actually in Trafford outside Manchester but in reality City and United 'share' much of the local support (as Forest and County / Liverpool and Everton do) but on the outskirts of Mancunia they have Bury, Stockport etc so it all becomes a blur. In the North East the smaller towns and areas migrate to their nearest club/City (Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesboro) with no real lesser league clubs to blur it.
Yeah, I guess there’s Hartlepool and Darlington at the Boro end of the region but not a lot else further north. Gateshead and Blyth Spartans get crowds of around 1000 but that’s about the limit of anything you’ll find all the way up to Berwick!

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

I would love to know how PIF has convinced the EPL that it is independent of Saudi politics, when PIF's Chairman is the Crown Prince.

And given PIF has historically been known for being as transparent as concrete, how does the EPL intend to monitor that the assurances it has been given are being adhered to?

I suspect that various legal attacks by Mike Ashley have resulted in EPL caving in (plus a desire to open up lucrative markets).

Still, other owners in the EPL will be delighted to be shunted one place down in the rankings of the Questionable Integrity league.

And of course, it will be interesting to watch what happens next.

I will stop now, as I understand dissenting voices have a habit of being murdered.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

They have legally binding assurances

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 17:21 They have legally binding assurances Image
Of what? Not executing any LGBT etc fans?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
That the fund led by the Crown Prince isn't controlled by the Royal Family.

Legally. Binding.

Sorted.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Keegan and Shearer are to be offered roles. No news on Ant, Dec, Jimmy Nail or Cheryl-Not-Cole yet.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 18:39 Keegan and Shearer are to be offered roles. No news on Ant, Dec, Jimmy Nail or Cheryl-Not-Cole yet.
Gazza?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 17:55
blahblah wrote:
That the fund led by the Crown Prince isn't controlled by the Royal Family.

Legally. Binding.

Sorted.
On the plus side I'm unaware of any rape and or paedo charges against them?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

But then rape etc may be legal over there?

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

As a betting man, I’m going for Ramsey as the first signing.

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

Ashers wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 19:20 As a betting man, I’m going for Ramsey as the first signing.
Alf ? :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

And first injured?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 18:55
forestfan wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 18:39 Keegan and Shearer are to be offered roles. No news on Ant, Dec, Jimmy Nail or Cheryl-Not-Cole yet.
Gazza?
His job is to tell everyone the Saudis are good people really, and bring them a fishing rod and a bucket of KFC.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Stena Bib wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 19:21
Ashers wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 19:20 As a betting man, I’m going for Ramsey as the first signing.
Alf ? :D
Bolton :wink:

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Garnett?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Who’s Ramsey Garnett? ;)

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

New consortium quick to make their move in the transfer market, signing a club legend for his long awaited return...

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

forestfan wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 01:06Who’s Ramsey Garnett? ;)
Alf's brother.

Stena Bib
FISOhead

Post by Stena Bib »

forestfan wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 01:06 Who’s Ramsey Garnett? ;)
Image Image Image

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

A suitable epitaph for this discussion for those posters who can remember the 70s

https://youtu.be/-pUfYNnm1wQ

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

All kinds of targets being suggested, mostly players who are/were quite good but are out of favour… Coutinho, Lingard, Henderson (D.), even Sterling and Hazard (E.) among others.

They’ll need to sell a project to them though, not instant success. Facilities that need a fair bit of work, etc… they need players with character, not mercenaries for hire as per “I’ve always dreamed of playing for… who have I just signed for again, agent?”

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I cnt believe the bstrds haven't been in touch offering me the job 😤😤😤😤😤

Stena Bib
FISOhead

Post by Stena Bib »

blahblah wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 17:34 I cnt believe the bstrds haven't been in touch offering me the job 😤😤😤😤😤
Don't undersell yourself Blah....You would be better suited running the country.
ImageImageImage

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Stena Bib wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 18:27
blahblah wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 17:34 I cnt believe the bstrds haven't been in touch offering me the job 😤😤😤😤😤
Don't undersell yourself Blah....You would be better suited running the country.
ImageImageImage
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Rodgers apparently top target. Would get him out of Green Bay I suppose… oh, not that one.

Brendan has seemingly quickly distanced himself from it anyway. He’s probably hit a ceiling at Leicester but I think being “the first” is a bit of a poisoned chalice at Newcastle, results will be expected in months that will realistically take years to achieve.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Congrats on the most understated use of "poison chalice" on FISO.

They really may as well appoint me, ok or Gazza, as whoever gets the pay out will be gone in the summer and the next new bod probably gone after the WC.

The only interesting/strange line that I've read linked to this is that Howe is waiting for the Soton job, which should be available this month.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, City got it right second time with Mancini, at least as far as getting them on the map with domestic trophies (though he was as allergic to Europe as Farage, strange when you consider his international management success…) And Hughes I think was appointed by “Frank” Shinawatra just before the takeover, so Bobby Manc was Abu Dhabi’s first actual appointment.

Chelsea were starting from a higher base but after giving Ranieri another year, Roman struck gold instantly with Jose. The worst thing Newcastle could do is change manager every six months.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Campos set to join as sporting director… sadly not the former Mexican keeper-striker with the luminous shirts!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

There is another? 😱😱😱

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Consortium seemingly can’t make a collective decision on the easiest one of all, getting rid of Bruce. Doesn’t bode well, does it…

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”