To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Newcastle General Discussion 23/24

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Newcastle General Discussion 23/24

Post by forestfan »

Looks like it’s finally happening barring any last-minute hitches…

It feels like potentially the most significant moment in PL history since the Man City takeover in 2008. Could be joining City and Chelsea as a third mega-rich force alongside the traditional powers of Man Utd and Liverpool. Big losers would mostly reside in North London, along with perhaps the second-tier contenders like Everton, Leicester and West Ham.

Aside from the non-footballing concerns, you have to be pleased for the Newcastle fans who have had such a bad time of it under Ashley. The club would be a great addition to the top of the table/European mix. Who would they go for as manager, a local hero or a European heavyweight? Will be a sought-after job, anyway. Though as Man City’s early years of rich ownership show, it takes a while to start attracting the right type of player (or for enough of the money thrown at the wall to start to stick).
Last edited by forestfan on 16 Jul 2023, 13:48, edited 2 times in total.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: Newcastle Saudi takeover

Post by jimmy ching »

Glass of water and a couple of aspirillas please. Bring back crazy Kev. I'd just love it. Crazy times ahead. It should be a fun roller coaster ride.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Who asked for a hitch?

Newcastle takeover: Amnesty International urges Premier League to change owners' and directors' test - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58827632

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 12:29 Glass of water and a couple of aspirillas please. Bring back crazy Kev. I'd just love it. Crazy times ahead. It should be a fun roller coaster ride.
Guess he’s just a bit too old now, though would be fun… his alleged 2nd spell shopping list (or their modern day equivalents) might be realistic now!

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

Newcastle are a big club with terrific support, they deserve a shot at the big time. It will be interesting to see how it all develops and how quickly they can start challenging.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Delighted for Muhammad bin Salman.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Khashoggi?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I don’t suppose whether or not they own a PL club will change how many journalists they behead…

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

bluenosey wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 13:29Khashoggi?
No, he probably wouldn't be delighted for Muhammad bin Salman.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 13:55 I don’t suppose whether or not they own a PL club will change how many journalists they behead…
Indeed.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

forestfan wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 13:55 I don’t suppose whether or not they own a PL club will change how many journalists they behead…
Should countries (that behead journalists) own PL clubs?

Anyway, I'm sure the toon army will hold their new overlords to a high ethical code like their City counterparts

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

“The most intriguing part of Newcastle’s future is how the fans overwhelmingly seem not to care about the human rights record of Saudi Arabia and accusations of “sportswashing”. It is their turn for glamour, a big budget and a coach they can adore and so Bruce is unlikely to last the standard three- to six-month buffer period. If he gets more than six days, it will be a surprise.”

I think most fans would probably take Hitler or Bin Laden as owner if it got them success… (didn’t Gaddafi once try to buy an English club?)
Last edited by forestfan on 07 Oct 2021, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

plasticninja
Grumpy Old Man

Post by plasticninja »

If I were Steve Bruce I would be worried, I hear his head could be on the chopping block after their bad start to the season. :o

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I thought it was Gadaffi Jr - who may have owned an Italian club.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

If MU are stuck with OGS, who do the Skunks go for?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, looks like it’s signed and sealed, so the recruitment can begin.

Obviously, before talk of superstars, they have to give themselves the best chance of staying in the PL this season…

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Has the Prem accepted them as Kosher Owners? (Yeah I know they are hardly Jewish....)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, presumably they’ve had the go-ahead from behind the scenes. They can’t call Cashley back once he’s disposed of his shares…

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Just because they have the shares doesn't mean they have the Licence? There is a Licence kinda of thing?

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

plasticninja wrote:Newcastle are a big club with terrific support, they deserve a shot at the big time. It will be interesting to see how it all develops and how quickly they can start challenging.
In terms of attendance, they are up there. But other than that are they really a big club? Aren't they just a premier League club who are in the premier League? Why do they deserve more success than Villa, Everton or Leeds?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

eastcentral1 wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 17:59
plasticninja wrote:Newcastle are a big club with terrific support, they deserve a shot at the big time. It will be interesting to see how it all develops and how quickly they can start challenging.
In terms of attendance, they are up there. But other than that are they really a big club? Aren't they just a premier League club who are in the premier League? Why do they deserve more success than Villa, Everton or Leeds?
Yep. No domestic cup or top flight league since 1955?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, I wouldn’t say Villa, Everton or Leeds would be any less deserving if they’d been the chosen ones (though yet another North West club would have been annoying for the rest of the country).

There does seem to be an almost unique footballing passion among Geordie fans though, it feels like the club is an integral part of the city perhaps more than any other.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:25 Well, I wouldn’t say Villa, Everton or Leeds would be any less deserving if they’d been the chosen ones (though yet another North West club would have been annoying for the rest of the country).

There does seem to be an almost unique footballing passion among Geordie fans though, it feels like the club is an integral part of the city perhaps more than any other.
Delusion, not passion?

Most are bonkers.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

“most are bonkers” :lol:

Have to say, in principle, I hate the thought of yet another “big money” club squeezing the chances of all the others even more…
but if any club was to get that chance, as a neutral, I’d definitely vote for Newcastle. Others such as Villa or Wolves may be possibly in with an equal shout as sleeping giants who really could do with a long-overdue shot in the arm, but for all the cr@p that Newcastle fans have had to put up with for so many years, I think that club is in fact the most deserving right now.

And if that means that in a few years time they are added to the list of top 6 (or so) uber-rich clubs who are in with a chance of finishing towards the top of the PL, then I guess that’s a good thing.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:26
forestfan wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:25 Well, I wouldn’t say Villa, Everton or Leeds would be any less deserving if they’d been the chosen ones (though yet another North West club would have been annoying for the rest of the country).

Delusion, not passion?

Most are bonkers.
Imagine how bonkers they’ll be when they win a major trophy or sign a global superstar…

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:41
blahblah wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:26

Delusion, not passion?

Most are bonkers.
Imagine how bonkers they’ll be when they win a major trophy or sign a global superstar…
Fortunately the ones on here are quite sensible and realistic, but there are loads probably putting cash on them winning the Prem next season.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Moon Knight »

Football increasingly resembling the moment in Squid Game when the piggy bank lights up and wads of cash fall into it.

(Nicked from James Horncastle and he’s spot on)

I suspect Sir Bobby will be turning in his grave this evening.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Darbyand wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 14:38
Should countries (that behead journalists) own PL clubs?
What about ones that just plot to have them beaten up? :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Renton wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:47 Football increasingly resembling the moment in Squid Game when the piggy bank lights up and wads of cash fall into it.

Especially with the ongoing debacle at Portman Road 😤😤😤

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:52
Renton wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 18:47 Football increasingly resembling the moment in Squid Game when the piggy bank lights up and wads of cash fall into it.

Especially with the ongoing debacle at Portman Road 😤😤😤
Yeah, what’s going on? You could be playing Sutton and Harrogate next season :shock:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”