To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Energy prices

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Energy prices

Post by Mav3rick »

My energy provider (Green) went bust today, only 6 weeks or so after my switch to them completed. I know a lot of firms are struggling with the various price issues at the moment.

Has anyone been through OFGEM's supplier of last resort process before? Any tips?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Re: Energy prices

Post by Billy Bongo »

Mav3rick wrote:My energy provider (Green) went bust today, only 6 weeks or so after my switch to them completed. I know a lot of firms are struggling with the various price issues at the moment.

Has anyone been through OFGEM's supplier of last resort process before? Any tips?
I'm with, or was, with People's Energy, also gone bust, but have already had an email from British gas saying they are taking over and to sit tight. I have smart meters installed so I'm not bothering to take readings.

I've been with Look After My Bills since Dragons Den, they are excellent, they've already emailed to say they will check the market once the transfer to BG is complete .

You shouldn't need to do anything
I love From4Corners

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Mine (Leeds, I think) went bust and were taken over by Scottish (I think).

Seems odd that loads are going bust......

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Mine has gone bust today (Avro).

Found them through Martin Lewis' site a few years back and each time I have needed a new contract they have proven cheapest (or bar a few quid with smaller, riskier(!) companies) so I have renewed. I actually renewed a month or so back and it was virtually identical to last year's tariff!

The government advice is NOT to switch and stay put til I get a new supplier appointed in 'a few weeks'

Is that sensible?

Who is supplying me now?

How much am I now paying?

Can they (whoever they are) charge me more for the intervening period without telling me?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: ↑22 Sep 2021, 22:18 Mine (Leeds, I think) went bust and were taken over by Scottish (I think).

Well, not surprising given they have to honour deals signed at a fraction of the current market price. The firms should have had to meet capital requirements equivalent to those of banks and insurance companies, and prove that they could withstand an almost unforeseeable increase in the gas price etc.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed Β£150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

As should Derby County.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: ↑22 Sep 2021, 23:24
blahblah wrote: ↑22 Sep 2021, 22:18 Mine (Leeds, I think) went bust and were taken over by Scottish (I think).

Well, not surprising given they have to honour deals signed at a fraction of the current market price. The firms should have had to meet capital requirements equivalent to those of banks and insurance companies, and prove that they could withstand an almost unforeseeable increase in the gas price etc.
Does Bitcoin πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

raoul wrote: ↑22 Sep 2021, 23:32 As should Derby County.
I have spunked wad in my head as they must have the most spent on them with no return?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

British Gas do a FAQs a about this .

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-s ... ritish-gas

I love From4Corners

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

murf wrote: ↑22 Sep 2021, 23:07 Mine has gone bust today (Avro).

Found them through Martin Lewis' site a few years back and each time I have needed a new contract they have proven cheapest (or bar a few quid with smaller, riskier(!) companies) so I have renewed. I actually renewed a month or so back and it was virtually identical to last year's tariff!

The government advice is NOT to switch and stay put til I get a new supplier appointed in 'a few weeks'

Is that sensible?

Who is supplying me now?

How much am I now paying?

Can they (whoever they are) charge me more for the intervening period without telling me?
I think not switching yet is sensible since the staff at Avro presumably are just a skeleton now so there's nobody there to do anything to action it.

From what I've read we're likely to end up paying the OFGEM fee capped price initially (which goes up on October 7th), once the switch completes, but I assume I'm on my fixed rate until that initial switch completes. Were not supposed to cancel direct debits even but I already have a positive balance and don't really fancy building up credit too high with a bankrupt provider, even if the balances should be protected.

It is a bit frustrating having locked in to a lower price a couple of months ago and now being forced to think again, but then I guess these providers went bust because they were too cheap to be sustainable anyway.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Billy Bongo wrote: ↑ You shouldn't need to do anything
Cheers, that's reassuring. It's just another switch from what I can tell and I've been doing those for years without an issue so fingers crossed :lol:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Mav3rick wrote:
Billy Bongo wrote: ↑ You shouldn't need to do anything
Cheers, that's reassuring. It's just another switch from what I can tell and I've been doing those for years without an issue so fingers crossed Image
Yes according to both the email from Look After My Bills and the British Gas info page nothing for us to do. Take readings though might be useful , I didn't bother as I have smart meters and assume that updated readings will automatically move with my account .

This is the email from Look After My Bills

The key point I think is don't sign a new contract or you won't be able to switch if you want to Image

I love From4Corners

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

I went through this process a few years ago. Can't remember what company we were with but they went under and we got automatically transferred to British Gas on their standard tariff. I simply waited for the 'your switch is complete' letter to come through then initiated a switch to the cheapest on the market at the time. All fairly straightforward.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

morganb wrote:I went through this process a few years ago. Can't remember what company we were with but they went under and we got automatically transferred to British Gas on their standard tariff. I simply waited for the 'your switch is complete' letter to come through then initiated a switch to the cheapest on the market at the time. All fairly straightforward.
That's my plan but

A) I will be taking a photo of both my meter readings today
B) I'd still like to see confirmation I am on my old tariff until British Gas/whoever tell me I am with them.
C) I have read that it is unlikely there will be (m)any better deals to switch to as the capped rate is lower than firms would like/need to charge so expect a bill hike.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 01:01
I have spunked wad in my head as they must have the most spent on them with no return?
QPR in early β€˜10s?

Obviously football teams aren’t like financial institutions and energy companies as people’s everyday lives don’t depend on them, apart from those directly employed. But I think unenforceable and/or competition-killing FFP rules need replacing by owner bonds to, for example, cover player contracts up front.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 10:02
blahblah wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 01:01
QPR in early β€˜10s?

Obviously football teams aren’t like financial institutions and energy companies as people’s everyday lives don’t depend on them, apart from those directly employed. But I think unenforceable and/or competition-killing FFP rules need replacing by owner bonds to, for example, cover player contracts up front.
Didn't Derby start with Pickering?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

This does have similarities with other stuff ie Big Gas Cos are more likely to survive than the small, big Football Clubs (Rangers, Barca, Juve) than the small and yes "proper" big currencies over the small Inc Crypto where the bigger will outlast the small.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Just checked my records and I'd been with Avro for 4 1/2 years! including 3 changes of tariff.

Their website is alive, albeit with a note about ceasing trading but no other real changes as it still has 'get a quote' in the corner!

Not letting me submit a reading but that could just be website issues if they are overloaded.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Good advice here , I can still sign in and just done this ( People's Energy )

https://www.devonlive.com/news/uk-world ... ys-5956838

I love From4Corners

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 11:29 This does have similarities with other stuff ie Big Gas Cos are more likely to survive than the small, big Football Clubs (Rangers, Barca, Juve) than the small and yes "proper" big currencies over the small Inc Crypto where the bigger will outlast the small.
Yes, though if there’s only one gas company left we get essentially nationalisation/monopoly which has its drawbacks but many argue in favour of. Whereas if there’s only one football club left, their existence becomes somewhat pointless (maybe they could challenge Saracens or St Helens to a dual code/hybrid contest?)

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

forestfan wrote: ↑24 Sep 2021, 09:35
blahblah wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 11:29 This does have similarities with other stuff ie Big Gas Cos are more likely to survive than the small, big Football Clubs (Rangers, Barca, Juve) than the small and yes "proper" big currencies over the small Inc Crypto where the bigger will outlast the small.
Yes, though if there’s only one gas company left we get essentially nationalisation/monopoly which has its drawbacks but many argue in favour of. Whereas if there’s only one football club left, their existence becomes somewhat pointless (maybe they could challenge Saracens or St Helens to a dual code/hybrid contest?)
Just the start of things to come.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
It's all a bit stupid. We all get gas through the same pipes, nationally and down your street. The smaller energy companies don't touch the stuff or deal with it. They just pay for a share and charge you for a small share. A pure admin job.

....and don't get me started on the pure green energy crap. It is all the same!

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

I am with Octopus (dual fuel), and it's contract renewal time.

If move onto variable, it's Β£185 per month, or I can fix for 24m at Β£240 pm :shock:
Do I lock in a Β£55pm overpayment now in the assumption that the variable will rocket, or do I 'bank' the current savings vs the fix and hope that they will offset any later rises :?:

...wont the 'energy price cap' stop the rises being too severe though?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

jacksosi wrote:I am with Octopus (dual fuel), and it's contract renewal time.

If move onto variable, it's Β£185 per month, or I can fix for 24m at Β£240 pm :shock:
Do I lock in a Β£55pm overpayment now in the assumption that the variable will rocket, or do I 'bank' the current savings vs the fix and hope that they will offset any later rises :?:

...wont the 'energy price cap' stop the rises being too severe though?
If you have no exit fee just run on variable for now. Should make up enough now to counter any later losses (when you may need to move to a fixed at over 240). Low/no exit fee on a big plus on any deal. Prices can't zoom up til April as the cap only changes every 6 months (going up on 1st, not sure how much).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: ↑24 Sep 2021, 10:57
forestfan wrote:
It's all a bit stupid. We all get gas through the same pipes, nationally and down your street. The smaller energy companies don't touch the stuff or deal with it. They just pay for a share and charge you for a small share. A pure admin job.

Yep to the first, as Telecoms used to be ie blah buys at very cheap trade costs and sells gas, leccy, internet etc from a laptop in a grubby little office somewhere - or his bedroom.

I have wondered how they know the leccy etc is Green... Maybe they pay the non-pipe owning suppliers?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote:

Yep to the first, as Telecoms used to be ie blah buys at very cheap trade costs and sells gas, leccy, internet etc from a laptop in a grubby little office somewhere - or his bedroom.

I have wondered how they know the leccy etc is Green... Maybe they pay the non-pipe owning suppliers?
They might specifically pay green suppliers but it all goes in the blender (ok, technically electricity is an energy (force) not an actual physical substance for mixing) and we all get the same whatever is paid for.

As an aside, there is only so much green electricity to go round so everyone buying or using an electic car is just adding to the overall electricity usage which means they are causing more non green electricity to be created whatever trick they are telling their smug consciences. Better than burning petrol? With the carbon footprint of the new infrastructure and battery manufacture etc? murf not exactly convinced!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: ↑24 Sep 2021, 15:56
blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote:

They might specifically pay green suppliers but it all goes in the blender (ok, technically electricity is an energy (force) not an actual physical substance for mixing) and we all get the same whatever is paid for.

As an aside, there is only so much green electricity to go round so everyone buying or using an electic car is just adding to the overall electricity usage which means they are causing more non green electricity to be created whatever trick they are telling their smug consciences. Better than burning petrol? With the carbon footprint of the new infrastructure and battery manufacture etc? murf not exactly convinced!
Yes to not buying the actual green stuff....

I think the theory is that the leccy should be less bad than petrol\diesel and not made in the polluted cities.

My issue with the green thing is far more long term etc: if we take all the power from wind what happens to the jet streams etc; if we take all the energy from the tides, what happens to the sea level; and if we stop the planet from warming up due to Solar Power.... ?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

You want a Dyson Sphere. Its the best way to identify advanced civilisations across the galaxy too, so we will both solve our energy crisis and advertise our presence to our Vulcan neighbours...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Think we are safe there.

I'll let someone else work out the incredibly tiny percentage of wind and tidal energy we are taking out of the system.

Taking solar energy out of the system should cool the planet (albeit to a microscopically tiny degree).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: ↑24 Sep 2021, 16:23 Think we are safe there.

I'll let someone else work out the incredibly tiny percentage of wind and tidal energy we are taking out of the system.

Taking solar energy out of the system should cool the planet (albeit to a microscopically tiny degree).
But imagine if we stopped the planet from spinning and what would happen :lol: :lol: :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to β€œStuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”