To see less ads Register or Login ----- Please ensure that your fiso password is random and not used for other logins. You can change it here which you should do if you were a FFHub member and used the same password there.

GB News

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22743
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

GB News

Post by forestfan »

Or GammonBox as it’s been labelled… anyway, off to a good start, with advertisers pulling the plug because they somehow didn’t realise they were signing up for Fox UK, and opening day calls from Mikes Hunt and Oxlong…

https://www.indy100.com/news/gb-news-ch ... g-b1866803

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89892
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GB News

Post by blahblah »

🤣🤣🤣

User avatar
RomynPG
Dumbledore
Posts: 8484
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Re: GB News

Post by RomynPG »

While I disagree with his politics I quite liked Andrew Neil and the Politics Show - thought he has some journalistic integrity ... but apparently not.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 98914
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: locked down somewhere (probably at home then)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: GB News

Post by murf »

Not sure what is worse, the thought of a right wing news channel or advertisers pretending to boycott it because they are scared of left wing bullies.

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 9283
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: GB News

Post by unc.si. »

I'll try to get round to watching it before I pass judgement on it properly

from what I've heard so far it seems more like opinion rather than news. The snippets I've seen feel like the sort of biased, loose-with-the-facts opinion pieces that you get in the Sun, Guardian and Mail than actual factual balanced news stories.

they do have a few fairly respectable people on, although in contrast they also have Dan Wooton - how long before they get Clarkson, Morgan and Hopkins on board?

My main issue is that it seems to be set up to be confrontational and divisive at a time when we could really do with trying to bring the country together. I do read the Sun, Mail, Guardian, BBC and many things in between. I take them all with a bit of skepticism and make my own mind up. The biggest worry is the people who take this sort of stuff as gospel as it just confirms their own view (just the same as the people who lap up the Guardians opinion pieces without question).

I bet Dot's got it on 24 hours a day in every room in the house :-)

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22743
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: GB News

Post by forestfan »

Piers Morgan is pro-lockdown and Clarkson is anti-Brexit, so they might not pass the interviews…

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 9283
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: GB News

Post by unc.si. »

I thought it was mainly set up to be 'anti woke', ie to cancel the people that they say are trying to cancel them. All a bit of an ever decreasing circle really.

one observation is that I do see a lot of people that claim that they're suffering from cancel culture and can't express their views, but they do generally seem to be on the TV and in the news a lot. They're very loud for people that have been silenced. You know I think that possibly they haven't really been silenced at all...

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89892
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GB News

Post by blahblah »

The set is shite. It's really dark ie almost black....

User avatar
eastcentral1
Dumbledore
Posts: 7094
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 16:38

Re: GB News

Post by eastcentral1 »

They appear to be plagued with production issues. Some of these are quite amusing. It also doesn't help that they have hired lots of 'names' instead of professional presenters. The Michelle Dewberry stuff is quite painful to watch.

https://twitter.com/GBNewsFails

This stupid boycott will give them some much needed publicity, but, mostly, they appear to be their own worst enemy. Really surprised at Andrew Neill. Both for taking this turn 'journalism'-wise, and for doing it all on such a shoestring.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 98914
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: locked down somewhere (probably at home then)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: GB News

Post by murf »

Do they actually have a market? I've obviously not done any market research here and I'm generalising massively but....

Anyone with an open mind wouldn't want the same political bias thrown at them all day. That sort of thing (of any political leaning) only appeals to those who like their prejudices reinforced.

Wouldn't the sort of people who want 24 news be more left leaning? Maybe champagne socialist types? On the other side of the political spectrum I can't imagine the more broadsheet reading, serious right of centre people who may watch politics being interested in something lowbrow and magasiney whereas white van man wouldn't want to waste his life watching a 24 hour news channel.

Surely politics is all about soundbites these days previsely because so few follow anything in depth.

This will either crash and burn or prove me wrong. I'll bet on the former.


User avatar
eastcentral1
Dumbledore
Posts: 7094
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 16:38

Re: GB News

Post by eastcentral1 »

Yeah, it's all Harry & Meghan, Freedom Day, culture war fluff. And of course some anti-vax thrown in for good measure. It's the Telegraph 'opinion' pieces as opposed to the Telegraph journalism. Just another echo chamber the likes of which is already on Twitter. I really don't know what has happened to Andrew Neill.

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22743
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: GB News

Post by forestfan »

I guess they will get more publicity from social media, rather than from their target audience actually sitting and watching it all day. They’re probably hoping for plenty of donations from those who fund the right-wing print/online media that has ensured we’ve elected nobody to the left of Blair in half a century.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 98914
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: locked down somewhere (probably at home then)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: GB News

Post by murf »

Left of Blair?

Cameron? May? Clegg?

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89892
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GB News

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 13:59 Left of Blair?

Cameron? May? Clegg? Image
No wink needed?

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89892
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GB News

Post by blahblah »

I did listen to a few minutes and they got onto Wokes so I turned it over as they are irrelevant to any serious news channel.

I'm surprised McCoy went there, but then he did used to be at Sky, but then threatened to punch Kay Burley, which is totally understandable?

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22743
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: GB News

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 17:36 I did listen to a few minutes and they got onto Wokes
He’s been treated terribly by England recently. Taken on every tour and never seems to get a game, even when Stokes is unavailable!

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89892
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GB News

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 19:02
blahblah wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 17:36 I did listen to a few minutes and they got onto Wokes
He’s been treated terribly by England recently. Taken on every tour and never seems to get a game, even when Stokes is unavailable!
Stop it 😂

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 22743
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: GB News

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 19:11
forestfan wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 19:02
blahblah wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 17:36 I did listen to a few minutes and they got onto Wokes
He’s been treated terribly by England recently. Taken on every tour and never seems to get a game, even when Stokes is unavailable!
Stop it 😂
That’s all, Foakes…

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89892
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GB News

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 19:22
blahblah wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 19:11
forestfan wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 19:02
blahblah wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 17:36 I did listen to a few minutes and they got onto Wokes
He’s been treated terribly by England recently. Taken on every tour and never seems to get a game, even when Stokes is unavailable!
Stop it 😂
That’s all, Foakes…
Guido?

User avatar
bluenosey
Dumblenose
Posts: 13940
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: GB News

Post by bluenosey »

Quite a bit of pathetic virtual signalling from some companies who have decided to pull their adverts because this channel doesn't meet the "appropiate" agenda:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... declaring/

User avatar
Renton
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 362
Joined: 01 Aug 2020, 09:15

Re: GB News

Post by Renton »

I wouldn’t advertise my service/product on a channel pushing conspiracy theories, would you?

User avatar
RomynPG
Dumbledore
Posts: 8484
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Re: GB News

Post by RomynPG »

bluenosey wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:03 Quite a bit of pathetic virtual signalling from some companies who have decided to pull their adverts because this channel doesn't meet the "appropiate" agenda:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... declaring/
Headline: The GB News boycott is a turning point: business must end its woke campaigning or it may not survive the backlash
Using the word "woke" non-ironically is the hallmark of quality jourmalism.

My secret hope is that all companies decide to cease advertising on every platform :mrgreen:

User avatar
Renton
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 362
Joined: 01 Aug 2020, 09:15

Re: GB News

Post by Renton »

For those who use Twitter, this is well worth a follow.

https://twitter.com/gbnewsfails?s=11

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 9283
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: GB News

Post by unc.si. »

bluenosey wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:03 Quite a bit of pathetic virtual signalling from some companies who have decided to pull their adverts because this channel doesn't meet the "appropiate" agenda:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... declaring/
don't buy their products then

Ultimately the market will decide if its the right move, not an opinion piece writer in the Telegraph. I think its just a bit of poor judgement from a few marketing execs rather than multi billion dollar turnover global corporations suddenly turning into communists and wanting to overthrow capitalism (thats a comment about the link Bluey, not what you said)

whats happened to the Telegraph these days? Whether you agree with the sentiment in that 'article' or not thats an appalling piece of writing. I know it's Opinion rather then Journalism but I thought the Telegraph was better than that

User avatar
eastcentral1
Dumbledore
Posts: 7094
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 16:38

Re: GB News

Post by eastcentral1 »

unc.si. wrote:
bluenosey wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:03 Quite a bit of pathetic virtual signalling from some companies who have decided to pull their adverts because this channel doesn't meet the "appropiate" agenda:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... declaring/
don't buy their products then

Ultimately the market will decide if its the right move, not an opinion piece writer in the Telegraph. I think its just a bit of poor judgement from a few marketing execs rather than multi billion dollar turnover global corporations suddenly turning into communists and wanting to overthrow capitalism (thats a comment about the link Bluey, not what you said)

whats happened to the Telegraph these days? Whether you agree with the sentiment in that 'article' or not thats an appalling piece of writing. I know it's Opinion rather then Journalism but I thought the Telegraph was better than that
Telegraph jumped the shark a few years ago. This is worth a read. ..

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opende ... telegraph/


User avatar
bluenosey
Dumblenose
Posts: 13940
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: GB News

Post by bluenosey »

unc.si. wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 21:03
bluenosey wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:03 Quite a bit of pathetic virtual signalling from some companies who have decided to pull their adverts because this channel doesn't meet the "appropiate" agenda:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... declaring/
don't buy their products then

Ultimately the market will decide if its the right move, not an opinion piece writer in the Telegraph. I think its just a bit of poor judgement from a few marketing execs rather than multi billion dollar turnover global corporations suddenly turning into communists and wanting to overthrow capitalism (thats a comment about the link Bluey, not what you said)

whats happened to the Telegraph these days? Whether you agree with the sentiment in that 'article' or not thats an appalling piece of writing. I know it's Opinion rather then Journalism but I thought the Telegraph was better than that
I won't, not that it will make a great deal of difference and I'll leave these companies to tap into their far left base of consumers, they will certainly have plenty of wealth to keep the products going, I suppose :wink:

I thought it was an excellent article BTW, so disagree there.

PS I still haven't watched this channel but inclined to tune in now, especially as some small but very vocal sections of society have kicked up such a fuss over it.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 89892
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: GB News

Post by blahblah »

I turned over when they mentioned wokes.....

User avatar
bluenosey
Dumblenose
Posts: 13940
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: GB News

Post by bluenosey »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15321907/ ... rew-loose/

ALL week, various mad people have been bouncing around on social media saying that GB News – a new, non-woke TV station, in the style of Talk Radio – is the personification of evil.

So I tuned in on Thursday morning, half expecting to find its founder and main man, Andrew Neil, with a Hitler moustache, shoutily urging his viewers to build a Reich that: “Would last for a thousand years.”

Instead, there was a couple, who looked like librarians, hosting a gentle debate on people who make restaurant bookings and then don’t turn up.

There was then a weather report, followed by a plea from the World Wide Fund for Nature to be nice to pandas.

I’ve seen more evil in a seaside tea shop.

This doesn’t seem to have been noticed by the social media warriors though, who stopped tweeting about the glories of Corbyn for five minutes to target all the companies who were advertising on GB News.

The professional stirrers, who hate Israel and Tories and white people and history, said they would no longer buy products from businesses that supported the station’s panda appeals or “toxic propaganda”.


and so on....

Summed up perfectly :lol:

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 9283
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: GB News

Post by unc.si. »

bluenosey wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 10:24
unc.si. wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 21:03
bluenosey wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:03 Quite a bit of pathetic virtual signalling from some companies who have decided to pull their adverts because this channel doesn't meet the "appropiate" agenda:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... declaring/
don't buy their products then

Ultimately the market will decide if its the right move, not an opinion piece writer in the Telegraph. I think its just a bit of poor judgement from a few marketing execs rather than multi billion dollar turnover global corporations suddenly turning into communists and wanting to overthrow capitalism (thats a comment about the link Bluey, not what you said)

whats happened to the Telegraph these days? Whether you agree with the sentiment in that 'article' or not thats an appalling piece of writing. I know it's Opinion rather then Journalism but I thought the Telegraph was better than that
I won't, not that it will make a great deal of difference and I'll leave these companies to tap into their far left base of consumers, they will certainly have plenty of wealth to keep the products going, I suppose :wink:

I thought it was an excellent article BTW, so disagree there.

PS I still haven't watched this channel but inclined to tune in now, especially as some small but very vocal sections of society have kicked up such a fuss over it.
Well I think that its a spectacular misjudgement for a company to boycott advertising on a platform because of what they might stand for when its only been launched for a few days. However, I think that boycotting their products because they've boycotted advertising on GB news is just as bad as boycotting their products because they do advertise on it. A knee jerk politicised decision. I can just imagine auntie.si's response if I told her that we couldn't buy an Ikea wardrobe because they boycotted advertising on a particular news channel :-)

If GB news is successful and attracts the right demographic they'll start advertising there again. Global corporates don't care about left vs right, they only care about who sees the ads and whether its likely to increase revenues or not. The boycott of GB news so soon was a bad corporate decision. I can see IKEA's CMO trawling the job ad's very soon.

I agree with your last point, ie effectively the fuss made about GB news and the ad boycotts is great free advertising for them. Its the Frankie Goes to Hollywood effect :-)

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 98914
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: locked down somewhere (probably at home then)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: GB News

Post by murf »

Companies aren't boycotting advertising on GB news "because of what they might stand for". They are doing it because some people will criticise them for advertising on TV News for what those people claim it stands for. Just a PR exercise that risks a negative PR backlash from the opposite side.

All rather a pathetic indictment of the modern world that belongs on the "modern life is rubbish" thread.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts
Post Reply

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”