To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Punishments for the ESL Six

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.

What punishment should the ESL Six receive?

Relegation to the Championship
10%
Huge fine
5%
Points deduction for next season
10%
Bigger points deduction suspended for 50 years
5%
Denied EPL voting rights for the next five years
10%
3 year European ban
25%
2 year transfer ban
5%
No punishment
30%

Total votes: 20

bspittles
Dumbledore

Punishments for the ESL Six

Post by bspittles »

Should the ESL Six receive a punishment for their actions in joining the breakaway Super League?

These are some of the suggestions I've picked up from social media. If I've missed anything suitable off the list, feel free to add and discuss below.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Punishments for the ESL Six

Post by blahblah »

I've voted for should, rather than what I think will happen....

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 09:49 I've voted for should, rather than what I think will happen....
Yes, that was the intention. I can't see the PL or UEFA wanting to rock the boat too much, unfortunately.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I think they should go big and rub their noses in it, but I suspect something softer so as to not pi55 them off....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

I’d relegate them, just as it would produce such an interesting season... title race between Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds and Villa, and a Championship battle between the big six for three places (I know, the rest of us would be basically going through the motions for a year or two, unless they set a higher bar for that lot to go up, e.g. minimum 100 points!)

European and transfer bans are perhaps more realistic and enforceable, though I suspect they will get away with a token fine.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm not sure the Prem has much leverage as they didn't do anything untoward except to refuse their invitation to represent the Prem in Europe?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:11 I'm not sure the Prem has much leverage as they didn't do anything untoward except to refuse their invitation to represent the Prem in Europe?
Surely there’s a breach of league rules in there at least, given they formally signed up to an unsanctioned competition?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maybe, but it's a tad irrelevant compared to the fooook off they gave the UEFA?

Maybe the FA fine them and somehow trickle that down the pyramid?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:11 I'm not sure the Prem has much leverage as they didn't do anything untoward except to refuse their invitation to represent the Prem in Europe?
Pretty much this, they didn't say there were going to quit the league or anything.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:39
Pretty much this, they didn't say there were going to quit the league or anything.
To all intents and purposes they were, joining an unsanctioned league would have forced them out given the PL is under the jurisdiction of UEFA.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 11:15
murf wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:39
To all intents and purposes they were, joining an unsanctioned league would have forced them out given the PL is under the jurisdiction of UEFA.
But that would be upto UEFA to deal with as the Clubs explicitly stated that they intended to play in the Prem etc. Admittedly there would have been a certain inevitability of more joining and then the however many Clubs becoming a full blown League and not playing in domestic Leagues.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Despicable as the attempt to form a Super League was, there shouldn't be any punishment. All they were doing was to take greed to the next level. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones. All Premier League clubs' modus operandi is based on selfishness. If they were to take a series of selfless actions such as pushing more of their TV revenues down the football hierarchy. I might have more sympathy with the 14 PL clubs who haven't been involved in the Super League fiasco, largely because they weren't wanted in that elite group.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maybe English, Spanish and Italian Clubs should be banned from International Comps?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:31 Maybe English, Spanish and Italian Clubs should be banned from International Comps?
A bit harsh on Leicester, Sevilla and Atalanta...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:47
blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:31 Maybe English, Spanish and Italian Clubs should be banned from International Comps?
A bit harsh on Leicester, Sevilla and Atalanta...
But they won't mind as they aren't greedy...... 😉

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Being less frivolous: it is quite difficult to punish the ESL lot, without rewarding the rest.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It’s like anything in business etc., it’s a zero-sum game - fine/punish one organisation and you benefit their rivals.

Would make the football more interesting anyway, if the rest were rewarded... they’ve done nothing wrong, just like the person who didn’t join in the criminal enterprise because they weren’t invited to!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 16:07 just like the person who didn’t join in the criminal enterprise because they weren’t invited to!
That is pretty much how I see them, yes.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 16:19
forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 16:07 just like the person who didn’t join in the criminal enterprise because they weren’t invited to!
Forest or Ipswich would have done the same, I’m sure...

But yeah, you can’t punish someone for something they might have done given the opportunity.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 16:33

But yeah, you can’t punish someone for something they might have done given the opportunity.
Of course we would have jumped at it.....

I just struggle with the idea of giving Euro places to the next 6 in line.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 16:36
forestfan wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 16:33

Of course we would have jumped at it.....

I just struggle with the idea of giving Euro places to the next 6 in line.
A bit like going down through the leaderboards and awarding the ‘00s Tour de France titles/placings? (I know, that’s more a case of ‘probably guilty but no proof’ rather than ‘didn’t have the opportunity to commit the crime’...)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Striker wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:18 Despicable as the attempt to form a Super League was, there shouldn't be any punishment. All they were doing was to take greed to the next level. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones. All Premier League clubs' modus operandi is based on selfishness. If they were to take a series of selfless actions such as pushing more of their TV revenues down the football hierarchy. I might have more sympathy with the 14 PL clubs who haven't been involved in the Super League fiasco, largely because they weren't wanted in that elite group.
As someone else said, there might be more sympathy for the 14 if they hadn't (largely) voted out of self interest and prevented the 5 sub rule being allowed this season as the bigger clubs wanted on 'health and safety' grounds.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 18:01
Striker wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:18 Despicable as the attempt to form a Super League was, there shouldn't be any punishment. All they were doing was to take greed to the next level. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones. All Premier League clubs' modus operandi is based on selfishness. If they were to take a series of selfless actions such as pushing more of their TV revenues down the football hierarchy. I might have more sympathy with the 14 PL clubs who haven't been involved in the Super League fiasco, largely because they weren't wanted in that elite group.
As someone else said, there might be more sympathy for the 14 if they hadn't (largely) voted out of self interest and prevented the 5 sub rule being allowed this season as the bigger clubs wanted on 'health and safety' grounds.
What do you think should happen and will happen to them?

I'm thinking of having at least 2 from each in my FF next season.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Nothing will happen. Life will go on and maybe they'll eventually find some convoluted CL 'upgrade'.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zapping their Ranking Points?

I think UEFA has to do something to be seen to be in control.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

There are a lot of votes for no punishment, but if the act goes unpunished then it will all be repeated at some point in the future.

Are those who voted for no punishment supporters of the ESL?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

bspittles wrote:There are a lot of votes for no punishment, but if the act goes unpunished then it will all be repeated at some point in the future.

It's a bit like the NI peace process. Brush the past under the carpet so everyone can move on.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 08:43
bspittles wrote:There are a lot of votes for no punishment, but if the act goes unpunished then it will all be repeated at some point in the future.

It's a bit like the NI peace process. Brush the past under the carpet so everyone can move on.
...until some reckless political move stirs it all up again :wink:

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Maybe instead of a fine, each club could volunteer to donate a tidy sum to be split among the pyramid. $50m each would go a fair way?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

bspittles wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 07:45 There are a lot of votes for no punishment, but if the act goes unpunished then it will all be repeated at some point in the future.

Can I just check - if they aren't punished the process will definitely be repeated, but if they are then it definitely won't?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”