To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Punishments for the ESL Six

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.

What punishment should the ESL Six receive?

Relegation to the Championship
10%
Huge fine
5%
Points deduction for next season
10%
Bigger points deduction suspended for 50 years
5%
Denied EPL voting rights for the next five years
10%
3 year European ban
25%
2 year transfer ban
5%
No punishment
30%

Total votes: 20

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Re: Punishments for the ESL Six

Post by Smurphy Paw »

bspittles wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 07:45 There are a lot of votes for no punishment, but if the act goes unpunished then it will all be repeated at some point in the future.

Are those who voted for no punishment supporters of the ESL?
My first thought was that those voting for no punishment (i) (probably) didn’t want their Club in it in the first place but (ii) don’t want the team they support disadvantaged.

Providing one of the six the opportunity to be invited to play in Europe next year would be an amusing way of holding a mirror up to their actions. That’s said in jest more than it being likely.

A more serious point, if the sanction is too draconian it’d speed up the Super League formation. For example, kick the twelve out of Europe for three years or so and it’d give them some moral justification for playing amongst themselves mid-week for that period of time. The messaging would be that they were being victimised and were being forced to. By the end of three years people would be much more used to those teams playing each other in parallel to the ongoing Champions League and UEFA would have unwittingly done the 12’s dirty work for them

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

hancockjr wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 17:25
bspittles wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 07:45 There are a lot of votes for no punishment, but if the act goes unpunished then it will all be repeated at some point in the future.

Can I just check - if they aren't punished the process will definitely be repeated, but if they are then it definitely won't?
I think the correct level of punishment would act as a deterrent.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

bspittles wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 18:15
hancockjr wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 17:25

Can I just check - if they aren't punished the process will definitely be repeated, but if they are then it definitely won't?
I think the correct level of punishment would act as a deterrent.
Not really.

As above a 2 or 3 year ban gives them time to play matches during the CL dates, and may be able to get some SA teams involved...... So essentially they can't be suspended.

Do nothing and it is clear who has the leverage\power etc and it isn't UEFA. When the dust settles it could well be that the closed\elite aspect could be watered down to dilute that opposition.

I just sense the next move is the key one as II could be a similar plan to Thatcher's old 1 2. She would leak something really bad do that when her bad idea came to light it wasn't as bad as what was feared.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

It’s like the old property developer’s technique. Propose an ugly 8-storey tower in the centre of a historic town, listen to the backlash and watch planning permission get refused, tone the proposal down and it gets quietly waved through second time around.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I doubt that we have any posters left who remember why England didn't enter the WC at the start.

I can think of a few who would know why if not born at the time, but probably not alive now.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Probably just thought it was beneath them to travel thousands of miles to play these South American upstarts, when “we invented the game so everyone knows we’re the best and we don’t need to prove it”...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Imagine Boca etc involved...

I think your use of existential was a typo, but was so true ie existential is the relationship with someone's ecosystem or environment and that is well .... for the top 2 in Spain and top Italian sides re TV income

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I assume that Salford is 49% public owned, or is Neville being a tad hypocritical?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”