To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

When was football’s true golden age?

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

When was football’s true golden age?

Post by forestfan »

So, I think all of us old farts on FISO probably agree the “game’s gone”, with ESL, VAR, and any other TLA’s you care to mention. But which era would we really want to go back to?

‘70s - mudbath pitches, on-field thuggery, heading a brick
‘80s - hooliganism, stadium disasters, Europe ban
‘90s - selling out to Sky, bandwagon jumpers, rising prices
‘00s - Champions League sprawl, Abramovich and Mansour distort competition further (even if perhaps preventing United establishing a Bayern-style monopoly)

So, when was this mythical golden age? Probably, for each of us, it was when our team actually won something when we were aged between about 7 and 18 :wink:

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Re: When was football’s true golden age?

Post by S_sutton87 »

90's for me as I was born in 87 lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

1961-62 😉

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

what is a TLA ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

theo29 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:25 what is a TLA ?
Three Letter Abbreviation

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Three letter acronym.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

80s for me. There were no hoolies at Leek Town ;-) and very few at Oxford United. There was a lot of difference in the quality of the pitches, which just added another level to tactical know-how.

The only thing I hated was the fences in front of the London Road End at The Manor.

johnF
Grumpy Old Man

Post by johnF »

forestfan wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:25 So, I think all of us old farts on FISO probably agree the “game’s gone”, with ESL, VAR, and any other TLA’s you care to mention. But which era would we really want to go back to?

‘70s - mudbath pitches, on-field thuggery, heading a brick
‘80s - hooliganism, stadium disasters, Europe ban
‘90s - selling out to Sky, bandwagon jumpers, rising prices
‘00s - Champions League sprawl, Abramovich and Mansour distort competition further (even if perhaps preventing United establishing a Bayern-style monopoly)

So, when was this mythical golden age? Probably, for each of us, it was when our team actually won something when we were aged between about 7 and 18 :wink:
I remember the 80's most fondly, but probably as you say that was the decade that I was aged 7-18 and the last time my team (Villa) won anything major. There were also 2 of the best World Cups in 82 and 86. But in hindsight the decade was marred by hooliganism and stadium disasters.

So all things considered I would probably go for 90's to early 00's. Kicked off with a memorable Italia 90 World Cup. Hillsborough disaster meant that clubs were forced to improve stadiums for fans. Premier league and influx of quality foreign players like Cantona, Klinsmann and Henry brought excitement and glamour to the English game. Good rivalry at the top of PL between Arsenal and Man Utd. Euro 96 and France 98 were memorable international competitions too.

In fact the 90's was a pretty good decade in general IMO and felt a lot happier and more optimistic than maybe now.

(Edit: almost forgot to say, the 90's was also the decade that fantasy football first became popular!! :D )
Last edited by johnF on 20 Apr 2021, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
Three Letter Abbreviation
bspittles wrote:
Three letter acronym.
It is usually wrongly called a Three Letter Acronym but they are actually Abbreviations.

PS Footie was obviously better in the 70s and early 80s which is they the money wanted in (and had to get rid of the negative crap too/first).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

But getting rid of the negative crap required big investment, which brought with it all the problems that have followed...

Tony Towners Tache
Treebeard
FS Record: Won - Beerfueledman TFF Euro 2004 League (remember that?)
Won - Nowt else
Highest FPL Finish 3502 2006/07 back when no one else played

Post by Tony Towners Tache »

Early eighties for me for club football on the pitch albeit the hooliganism was rife off the pitch. Early to to mid-nineties for the international games.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Sixties for me and The World Cup.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Spinynorman wrote:Sixties for me and The World Cup.
It was 'golden' if it was in black and white Image

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

murf wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 15:04
Spinynorman wrote:Sixties for me and The World Cup.
It was 'golden' if it was in black and white Image

Not to mention the rolling screen, wiggly lines and a telly the size of a bread making machine. :mrgreen:

SamD
FISO Knight

Best footy times

Post by SamD »

The exciting, unpredictable sixties! Between 1960 and '69, eight clubs won the First Division title, more than any other decade before or since.

League fixtures weren't televised live, with Match of the Day highlights only emerging in 1964. If you didn't go to a ground on Saturday, Network Three (now BBC Radio 3) was the only way to follow news of a single game, and even that was restricted to a second half commentary.

Most of us only learned the results at 5pm via Sports Report (still going strong) or by buying a Saturday Pink/Green local newspaper (now extinct). Times have changed.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It would be crap to have nothing on TV (or radio, for that matter...) but the saturation coverage these days is just too much, particularly this season with the wall-to-wall kick-off times in the absence of crowds.

I much prefer the vast majority of even top flight matches at 3pm on Saturday, and following all the twists and turns, with live matches as event TV, and a decent MotD with lots of games to cover.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

When did Hooliganism become a thing?

I remember it being prominent when MU got relegated technically not by City in that postponed match and Leeds getting banned from Europe in 73/4 ish and was on the way out with Heysel and Hillsborough?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

90s for me - the Premier League inception, increased foreign imports, Three Lions gripping the nation in 96 and the treble in 99

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”