To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Breakaway European Super League

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Breakaway European Super League

Post by murf »

S_sutton87 wrote:Are there any season ticket holders for one of the big six on here would like to get there view on what they would do for next season

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Less season tickets = more space for visiting supporters = more spend in the club shop / prawn sandwich franchise bar.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, it appears we’re now known as “legacy fans”. Seen a bit like the annoying, unprofitable old customers of a financial institution who have forgotten about the £7.50 they’ve left invested with them. As opposed to “fans of the future”, who I guess are those who were born in a year starting with 2, and/or live thousands of miles away from where the teams are (currently) based.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 19:55 Well, it’s unlikely but not impossible. That’s the whole point, how many Leicester fans would have believed 10 years ago? The moment it becomes impossible, it’s time to shut down operations and turn the stadium into a museum. And that goes for all 86 excluded clubs at PL/FL level.
This with bells on. We all believe the impossible may happen and cling on to it. That tiny bit of hope. That joining the league. That avoiding relegation. That victory in the play offs. All these things would count for Jack shit with the closed shop of an elite super league.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

I haven't read through the whole thread but is anyone out there in favour of such a league?

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

bluenosey wrote:I haven't read through the whole thread but is anyone out there in favour of such a league?
Every fan has disdainfully rejected it, but Man United's share prices are rising. Maybe it's our fault: we just talk and talk.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 21:30
bluenosey wrote:I haven't read through the whole thread but is anyone out there in favour of such a league?
Every fan has disdainfully rejected it, but Man United's share prices are rising. Maybe it's our fault: we just talk and talk.
Well I heard Gary Neville's comments and totally agree with his sentiments. In fact, I don't know of anyone of any significant standing - money men aside - who is for it. I'll have to Google.

Even on here it's unusual to have unanimous agreement on a topic.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

BBC are quoting a YouGov poll where 79% are opposed to it.

No idea what the exact question and options were.... or if the other 21% have brain cells.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 21:40 BBC are quoting a YouGov poll where 79% are opposed to it.

No idea what the exact question and options were.... or if the other 21% have brain cells.
As I said, those born in a year starting with 2. Kids with no idea of the history and tradition of the game, who don’t remember footballing life before Sheikh Mansour...

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Michael Cox has an interesting piece in The Athletic about how the domestic leagues are broken, and how a super league might be the only solution (the more attractive, but unattainable, alternative being to take steps to enforce parity).

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

bluenosey wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 21:36
Well I heard Gary Neville's comments and totally agree with his sentiments. In fact, I don't know of anyone of any significant standing - money men aside - who is for it. I'll have to Google.

dot probably would have liked it if he was here

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

thebillfella wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:12

As long as he had Arse to moan about...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I'm neither for it against but I have been posting about it bring inevitable for many years. The hypocrisy, hysteria and misperceptions are kind of entertaining though.

No one has brought up the likely future of Clubs, with rich owners who want a return etc, which are not included in the 6. What will happen to Wolves, Everton etc let alone Newcastle who are now worth £2.50.....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

eastcentral1 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 21:51
Michael Cox has an interesting piece in The Athletic about how the domestic leagues are broken, and how a super league might be the only solution (the more attractive, but unattainable, alternative being to take steps to enforce parity).
There are major issues with domestic leagues, a league where the same team wins eight or nine years running needs some sort of reform, but they can be tackled without creating closed shop breakaways.

Multi-nation top flights, for example, could enable major clubs from smaller nations to thrive, and have a chance of attracting players and finances that would give them a chance of success in Europe. Each country would still have its own underlying pyramid.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:23 I'm neither for it against but I have been posting about it bring inevitable for many years. The hypocrisy, hysteria and misperceptions are kind of entertaining though.

No one has brought up the likely future of Clubs, with rich owners who want a return etc, which are not included in the 6. What will happen to Wolves, Everton etc let alone Newcastle who are now worth £2.50.....
The owners will either try to buy their way in or wait for it all to fall apart. If they end up on the wrong side of the fence when the music stops, they will probably just put them into administration and walk away.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Maybe it would have been Dot and Groomyd united against the rest!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

What, a bit of European integration? :shock: I’d have thought he would campaign to get our clubs out of Europe completely, and build a wall...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

How does that work? Excluding logistical stuff ie Brexit and taxation etc how do the pyramids in Scotland and Holland etc if the top clubs have their own league?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:28 How does that work? Excluding logistical stuff ie Brexit and taxation etc how do the pyramids in Scotland and Holland etc if the top clubs have their own league?
Exactly how relegation from the Conference etc. to regionalised leagues works...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:26
blahblah wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:23 I'm neither for it against but I have been posting about it bring inevitable for many years. The hypocrisy, hysteria and misperceptions are kind of entertaining though.

The owners will either try to buy their way in or wait for it all to fall apart. If they end up on the wrong side of the fence when the music stops, they will probably just put them into administration and walk away.
Tbh I had skipped to the last bit, but if they relocated and then got in...... Everton were a tad late with the new stadium, or can they stop it and move to wherever their owners are?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:29
blahblah wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:28 How does that work? Excluding logistical stuff ie Brexit and taxation etc how do the pyramids in Scotland and Holland etc if the top clubs have their own league?
Exactly how relegation from the Conference etc. to regionalised leagues works...
So Falkirk etc could replace a Belgian Club?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

To play Devil's Advocate...... have any breakaways failed? I can only think of Kerry Packer's cricket thing and the Darts. Both of which succeeded, even if Packet et al had to weather a bad year or so.

From afar it seemed that the IPL was welcomed there and the rest if the cricketing world have been playing catch up ever since and the home players limit has definitely helped India with their fielding in International Cricket of all length.

I don't follow Rugby, but there was a Celtic League or something with Welsh Clubs merging etc?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I guess that Rugby League was a breakaway way back when, and I think they put the Challenge into the FAC Cup and may have had something to do with the trophy?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

forestfan wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 22:29
I thought that worked by having promotion from each regional league, and relegation (regardless of geography) from the national league and then allocating clubs to equally to regional divisions (so if more "southern" clubs are promoted than demoted, the southernmost club in the northern division moves to the southern division?

That won't work on a country by country basis - there isn't a "most Scottish Dutch club".

However I'm sure a system could be found.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It would need a 2nd Division with no relegation? Which isn't too far removed from 1 Division with no relegation?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The football league was pretty much a closed shop of 92 for years with 'promotions' quite rare. Scotland the same, if not more so.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 23:06 The football league was pretty much a closed shop of 92 for years with 'promotions' quite rare. Scotland the same, if not more so.
The Election thing was a tad bent....

(The other 91 voted for the 92nd to stay in League or be replaced and hardly any were replaced.)

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote:To play Devil's Advocate...... have any breakaways failed? I can only think of Kerry Packer's cricket thing and the Darts. Both of which succeeded, even if Packet et al had to weather a bad year or so.

From afar it seemed that the IPL was welcomed there and the rest if the cricketing world have been playing catch up ever since and the home players limit has definitely helped India with their fielding in International Cricket of all length.

I don't follow Rugby, but there was a Celtic League or something with Welsh Clubs merging etc?
Before the IPL was (iirc) ICL, the original breakaway t20 league. It was outlawed and so were the players playing in it. IPL was the Indian Cricket board's official response to it.

ISL is another example of a parallel football league, to I-League in India. The two are now implementing a promotion-relegation system, so that traditional top clubs like Mohun Bagan and East Bengal can be involved in ISL. Bit rich of ISL to allow Indian footballing giants to play but that's the reality.

The Founding Fathers want their own league too. They tried making PL their toy (Big Picture), then said eff it.Image

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

murf wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 23:06 The football league was pretty much a closed shop of 92 for years with 'promotions' quite rare. Scotland the same, if not more so.
Altrincham came a cropper to that process many times in the 80s I think, often having the ground cited as the reason they couldn't get promoted despite winning the conference on multiple occasions.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I don't remember the ICL. Was it out your way?

The Indian football thing was a tad bizarre to me, but could you get enough bums on seats paying enough to one of the Football elite? Remember shirt sales etc.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

thebillfella wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 23:22
Altrincham came a cropper to that process many times in the 80s I think, often having the ground cited as the reason they couldn't get promoted despite winning the conference on multiple occasions.
You were daft enough to have good Cup runs ......

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”