To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Chess

A forum for discussions on Games such as Xbox, Playstation, Su Doku, Crosswords, Wordle, Quordle, Centordle & Board Games
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Chess

Post by forestfan »

The Queen’s Gambit, Magnus Carlsen, lockdowns in general... online chess is experiencing something of a boom right now. Any active/interested players on here? I’ve been playing on chess.com with work colleagues and random people from around the world recently.

There’s a private FISO Chess Club forum in existence, but the last activity on it was in 2008 so didn’t think it was worth posting there! I remember being soundly beaten by a few here in a competition we had back in the day, so I think there were some decent players but not sure how many of them still visit here.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Re: Chess

Post by bspittles »

I play, but definitely just for fun. I don’t know any openings but still find it enjoyable.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

There was a FISO Comp a while back and had it's own Forum etc.

I'm up for playing again......

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Have vague memories of maybe playing 1 or 2 games with someone from FISO purely to make up numbers.

2008 could be right!

I was useless then and haven't played since.

Maybe if I could start with 8 horses and 2 prawns rather than the other way round....

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Do chess.com puzzles most days on facebook, played as a guest a couple of times on chess.com, not a challenge. Keep thinking (well, maybe once or twice a year) about getting back into chess, time is always an issue. Get something going and I'll do my best to join in.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I will too.

Played it back then, and fancy beating vid 😂😂😂

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 21:28 I will too.

Dream on!!!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Vid wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 21:30
blahblah wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 21:28 I will too.

Dream on!!!
😂😂😂😂 I'm sure we used chess.com way back when....

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

we used yahoo having read through a few threads, oh, those were the days!!! :-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Vid wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 21:41 we used yahoo having read through a few threads, oh, those were the days!!! :-)
The good old non vitriolic days......

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Just a warning, played another couple of games on chess.com as a guest, ahead on time, position fairly even and it declared that black won, I didn't resign, software might not be great.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Vid wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 22:46 Just a warning, played another couple of games on chess.com as a guest, ahead on time, position fairly even and it declared that black won, I didn't resign, software might not be great.
I’ve had no problems, using iPad/iPhone app, though mainly playing daily time limits (i.e. up to a day to make a move, though you can play faster if you wish).

I expect it depends on your device and broadband speed to an extent, particularly if you play really frantic time limits... the best in the world play speed chess tournaments on the platform so it must be considered pretty reliable.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 21:47
Vid wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 21:41 we used yahoo having read through a few threads, oh, those were the days!!! :-)
Yahoo chess was full of twits even 20 years ago...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 23:03
I won a few, but then some Grandmasters from here mullered me....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 23:21
forestfan wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 23:03
I won a few, but then some Grandmasters from here mullered me....
Yeah, I think Vid was pretty good, not sure who the others were that I played back then (most of those on the old thread don’t seem to be active members any more).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

This is the original tournament thread, which I’ve just been looking through - actually way back in 2006, though I think there may have been one or two subsequent ones. Looks like it was as much of a bustard to organise as my heads-up poker championship :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3619

Seems I did a bit better than I remember, making the quarter-finals, though largely thanks to a lopsided draw it would appear. Apparently a rook and pawn endgame was my undoing, which sounds familiar after I blundered to defeat in one from 3 pawns up the other day... :roll:

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

jeffersdn was good!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Vid wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 20:31 jeffersdn was good!
Yeah, looking at the thread he was one of 3 or 4 who were potentially pushing 200 BCF, which is getting towards IM standard (or was, I recently discovered they’ve now scrapped that grading system and converted to something broadly equivalent to Elo as the masters, and chess websites, use).

I found the blitz tournament which was played later, that’s the one I remember losing heavily in as it was mostly the stronger players who signed up (and it was never properly finished).

mastersm
Cheetah

Post by mastersm »

To be honest, I like to play chess. I think that thanks to chess, mental processes work better. My dad tried to teach me, but that mostly involved a lot of yelling, swearing, and tears. Lol

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Games incl. Video Games”