To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

World Cup 2022

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by forestfan »

Portugal :lol: :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

You mean Ron is out?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 21:45 You mean Ron is out?
Not quite, but has a two-round play-off to negotiate…

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 21:47
More midweek games at his age.....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 21:48
forestfan wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 21:47
More midweek games at his age.....
He will probably enjoy the opportunity to boost his world record of international goals.

Scotland or Wales might get the chance to put them on the scrapheap…

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

So we just need to avoid conceding 7 (Seven) in the second half to get through - and Southgate takes off one of our centre halves

I thought he was supposed to be a dull, risk-averse manager.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Someone else has to win by loads to turn over the GD?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 20:57 Someone else has to win by loads to turn over the GD?
If we lose 7-6 I think Poland have to win by about 6. They’re 1-0 down…

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

So, who’s in so far?

Qatar (obviously)
England, France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Croatia, Serbia, Switzerland
Brazil, Argentina

Think that’s it so far, the lucky 13 who can put their feet up and prepare. Most of the others will have to wait until March to find out if their tickets will be issued.

Italy, Portugal and Uruguay among the biggest names in major jeopardy. No really significant nations eliminated (with apologies to the Irish, both sides of the border…) but Haaland will have to wait another couple of years for his major tournament debut with Norway. Should have picked England, Erling ;)

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Ivory Coast are possibly the biggest name to not qualify so far. It'll be interesting to see what kind of shenanigans Fifa get up to to ensure Portugal don't play Italy in the playoffs

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, I forgot about that, they missed out in a head-to-head with Cameroon which had to eliminate one of the African powers. Guess they’re not quite what they were in the Drogba/Toure era though.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

I was at the Wales game last night. Great point for Wales against Belgium to cap a good week for British teams. It was a fantastic atmosphere and now looking forward to see who is coming to Cardiff for the play off semi final.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

So… Portugal and Italy drawn together, assuming they both negotiate their first round game. Portugal at home… there’s no way they’ll let Ronaldo miss out on his final World Cup, so Italy are done for, I think. Likely to join Greece as European champions who missed out on the World Cups either side! (And if it’s penalties, they’ll go out without losing a match as well.)

Wales potentially facing Scotland at Cardiff for a place, again if both get through…

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Russia vs Poland could be tasty in the Ice Hockey group - not that I think the draw looks so good that it really couldn't be any better in respect of interest......

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

20 of the 32 now confirmed, another 9 to follow by Friday’s draw (the Scotland/Wales/Ukraine path and two inter-continental play-offs will remain as either/or scenarios in the bottom pot).

No debutants other than the hosts Qatar so far, though Canada have qualified for the first time since 1986 and only second time ever.

Top seeding pot will be Qatar as hosts (everyone will want that group), Belgium, Brazil, France, Argentina, England, Spain and Portugal (or Denmark, if North Macedonia manage to spring another shock).

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Does that include the US?

They unfurled a banner proclaiming they had 'qualified' the other night.... but they haven't :lol: .... OK, they just need to avoid a 6 goal defeat in their next game. Even if they screw that up they still have a chance if they can beat someone like NZ.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, heard about that one… not included within the official 20, though effectively in as number 21 unless something quite ridiculous happens. They missed out last time didn’t they?

Mexico only slightly less certain to qualify for their customary last-16 exit. 5 African qualifiers (the first legs followed the AFCON trend with binary scorelines) and the two European ties being completed this week complete the set, for now.

Geoffv
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 301st overall FPL 2013-14

Post by Geoffv »

forestfan wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 15:46 20 of the 32 now confirmed, another 9 to follow by Friday’s draw (the Scotland/Wales/Ukraine path and two inter-continental play-offs will remain as either/or scenarios in the bottom pot).

No debutants other than the hosts Qatar so far, though Canada have qualified for the first time since 1986 and only second time ever.

Top seeding pot will be Qatar as hosts (everyone will want that group), Belgium, Brazil, France, Argentina, England, Spain and Portugal (or Denmark, if North Macedonia manage to spring another shock).
Germany are not a seed? 😳

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Don't worry, they'll get Qatar 😉

Geoffv
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 301st overall FPL 2013-14

Post by Geoffv »

blahblah wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 16:39 Don't worry, they'll get Qatar 😉
It's a certainty

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Geoffv wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 16:40
blahblah wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 16:39 Don't worry, they'll get Qatar 😉
It's a certainty
Shite at the Euros (and last World Cup), outside the top seeds, weakest in a generation… this is Germany, they’re certain to reach the final ;)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Likely pot 2 on rankings: Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, Mexico, USA, Switzerland, Croatia, Uruguay
Pot 3 still very dependent on who gets through.

Just A Kiwi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Just A Kiwi »

The mighty All Whites take on the might of the Solomon Islands this Wednesday to win the right to play the 4th team from the CONCACAFF qualification Group. That is Costa Rica. Also in Qatar in June.

I wonder what will happen with the Scotland/Ukraine tie if the war drags on. Surely there must come a point where a decision is made? Would the Ukrainians have any will to play if the war was still going on?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Just A Kiwi wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 16:51 The mighty All Whites take on the might of the Solomon Islands this Wednesday to win the right to play the 4th team from the CONCACAFF qualification Group. That is Costa Rica. Also in Qatar in June.

I wonder what will happen with the Scotland/Ukraine tie if the war drags on. Surely there must come a point where a decision is made? Would the Ukrainians have any will to play if the war was still going on?
At the moment they would presumably only have overseas-based players available so probably couldn’t field a team. Guess they’ll have to make a decision in June at the latest.

Just A Kiwi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Just A Kiwi »

forestfan wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 15:46 20 of the 32 now confirmed, another 9 to follow by Friday’s draw (the Scotland/Wales/Ukraine path and two inter-continental play-offs will remain as either/or scenarios in the bottom pot).

Denmark cannot be seeded now after losing this week. If Portugal lose then Holland, Mexico or Germany would be seeded. USA can't be anymore

https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/15 ... ZytMfumMaA

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

Just A Kiwi wrote:The mighty All Whites take on the might of the Solomon Islands this Wednesday to win the right to play the 4th team from the CONCACAFF qualification Group. That is Costa Rica. Also in Qatar in June.

Qatar in June??? Image Phew what a scorcher.

Just A Kiwi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Just A Kiwi »

sibrown4 wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 17:39
Just A Kiwi wrote:The mighty All Whites take on the might of the Solomon Islands this Wednesday to win the right to play the 4th team from the CONCACAFF qualification Group. That is Costa Rica. Also in Qatar in June.

Qatar in June??? Image Phew what a scorcher.
He sounds horrendous but I believe the game will be played in the Al Bayt Stadium which has a roof.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Will the Australia game played there too?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Portugal, Poland, Ghana and Senegal in. Looking good for Morocco as well, with USA and Mexico likely to rubber-stamp their places tonight.

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

Lasers seem to be becoming an issue in Africa? They need to stanp on it quickly. Tunisian fans aiming them at the Mali players now.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”