Grumpy Old Man

Re: Diary of a Closer

Post by ffstuff »

Perhaps block and the closer are more alike than at first seems :?: :D

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

I'd never waste a Liverpool spot on Henderson in a million years - there lies the major difference ;)

ffstuff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ffstuff »

Using current members - anyone else want their teams in it, let me know

https://www.ffstuff.co.uk/SearchManager ... AMPORCHUMP

RickyRosa The Closer
CBN
AndySummers (lonegunner)
Steve19881 (blockhead)
YorkshireExile
gazfreo (toffeeman)

ffstuff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ffstuff »

angelino , wow - missed that one :(

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

CBN went heavy on him, only 2/15 here. Surprised to see him in a whopping 20% of teams as it's a tough group and 5.5 ain't exactly cheap.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Couldn’t believe it when I saw 20% ownership!

No coverage here.

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

I would have had more but every time I needed the money in came Halstenberg 🤦‍♂️

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

Official update:

The last hour before first kick off I worked hard.

Ramsey hadn’t played for Wales in the nations cups last game and I had modelled teams around him but at last minute decided to replace him, changing him for other options and generally
Mixing up my teams as I tried to accommodate his replacements.

When the team news was announced and I saw that he was starting I was able to remodel my teams to how I had originally planned, some with small enhancements.

I had modelled 10 teams around a Barcelona/Juventus bias with all
sides maintaining similar traits like 2-3 Atalanta players.

I had captained predominately Messi, had lots of Fati and more than a few Coutinho so was in deep in Barcelona but also reliant on the fitness of Ramsey for Juventus. A strange selection maybe but one that was pivotal as you will see to my entire strategy.

Early news was good, Morata an obvious choice to replace the stricken Ronaldo got a brace and I had him in a couple of teams and from there a Barcelona goal fest and huge coverage, coupled with a Leipzig CS has have helped to put me in and around the top 500 for the majority of my teams.(best being 276)

Will be interesting to see how Atalanta get on tomorrow.

I know it’s early days yet and but mere sparring at the moment, however, initial signs look good and I seem In lots of cases to have the jump on my competitors.

Confidence is high and am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out tomorrow but if I can have the majority of my teams inside the top 10 percent at the end of GW1 then I will be right on track.

Feeling like I can do this.

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

You modelled your teams on two sides that play each other in GW2?

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

I would say it's time for Henderson to shine off the bench, but you just know Ricky isn't dropping Ramsey under any circumstance :D

Having funds tied into the likes of Ramsey and Henderson means Ricky will be going without any Man City attacking coverage. He appears to have fallen victim to recency bias as his Man City attacking triple ups didn't pay off for him in the main game. Well that was when they were playing without a striker and the historic data shows over 100 goals a season when the likes of Aguero are fit.

Looking forward to tonight's update - top 10% seems ambitious considering he's carrying a 0 pointer at the back in nearly every team.

CBN
Dumbledore

Post by CBN »

No Block, he is targeting three of the top ten cash prizes 👍

Toffeeman
FISOhead
FS Record: 49th YTM 2008/2009, 63 TFC 2011,T3 SDT Nov Premium Monthly

Post by Toffeeman »

Entertaining read once again Ricky, keep them coming.
Imo I do think Ramsey was a very leftfield pick, I had Morata in my initial team but went Lakaku in the end given the 2nd fixture and felt that a transfer would be better used elsewhere, time will tell but good start for him.
I went Angelino purely based on his attacking potential and also hakmi based on the same thinking

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

CBN wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 05:54 You modelled your teams on two sides that play each other in GW2?
Absolutely.

There in lies the genius.

Look hard and you may see it.
BLOCKHEAD wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 07:30 I would say it's time for Henderson to shine off the bench, but you just know Ricky isn't dropping Ramsey under any circumstance :D

Having funds tied into the likes of Ramsey and Henderson means Ricky will be going without any Man City attacking coverage. He appears to have fallen victim to recency bias as his Man City attacking triple ups didn't pay off for him in the main game. Well that was when they were playing without a striker and the historic data shows over 100 goals a season when the likes of Aguero are fit.

Looking forward to tonight's update - top 10% seems ambitious considering he's carrying a 0 pointer at the back in nearly every team.
Nail on the head and a lot of meta being used her.

I’m not just playing one competition in isolation. If Citeh do well overall my PL team do well.

If Citeh struggle my CL do well.

Re your other point i suspect that Bakker will come good and after last nights defeat suspect he will play GW2 (he’s played all of the recent league games).

Will be interesting to see if it all plays out as I predict.

Your talking about Citeh... My entire focus is around Atalanta.

CBN
Dumbledore

Post by CBN »

Nope still can’t see it. I have not advanced to the module in my learning where these next level strategies are covered.

So your CL entries are a hedge for your PL entries? I’ve heard it all now.

The Closer? More like The Dozer! :lol:

ffstuff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ffstuff »

CBN , you look but you don’t see :lol:

Don’t know why I’m laughing anyway, the few teams I entered are shocking so far :D

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

RickyRosa wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 10:21
CBN wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 05:54 You modelled your teams on two sides that play each other in GW2?
Absolutely.

There in lies the genius.

Look hard and you may see it.
BLOCKHEAD wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 07:30 I would say it's time for Henderson to shine off the bench, but you just know Ricky isn't dropping Ramsey under any circumstance :D

Nail on the head and a lot of meta being used her.

I’m not just playing one competition in isolation. If Citeh do well overall my PL team do well.

Re your other point i suspect that Bakker will come good and after last nights defeat suspect he will play GW2 (he’s played all of the recent league games).

Will be interesting to see if it all plays out as I predict.

Your talking about Citeh... My entire focus is around Atalanta.

what happens if city continue to flunk the premier league but ace the champions league?

I'm expecting to be top tonight after aguero and lukaku hat-tricks.... :lol:

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

RickyRosa wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 10:21 I’m not just playing one competition in isolation. If Citeh do well overall my PL team do well.

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

CBN wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 12:47 Nope still can’t see it. I have not advanced to the module in my learning where these next level strategies are covered.

So your CL entries are a hedge for your PL entries? I’ve heard it all now.

The Closer? More like The Dozer! :lol:
That wasn’t your point.

You point was I have conflicting players playing off GW2.

You never mentioned Citeh?

Look again (if your really interested). If you can’t see it then you will need to wait for GW2.

All will become apparent.

Your Boss did mention Citeh though....

You boys do realise this comp is purely for the group stages right?

I’m sure you do....so why is it so hard to see that is a viable strategy?

The flaw of course as pointed out is that they excel in the CL but flop in the PL, a possibility of course, however I feel it more probable (and logical if you really do stop to think about it) that if Citeh hit a rich vain of form or indeed a poor one it will continue across both competitions.

Who knows?

Time will tell.

Not sure why you think that it’s not a potentially viable strategy for wider success?

My teams are obviously set up that way so I’m obviously not winding you up?

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

RickyRosa wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:26 Going to be hiding behind the sofa for sure...biggest concern for me is that my secerete weapon Coman tips up (and starts which is a risk) as I think he will our score Lewindowski...

Time will tell.

I’d wish you all luck but i’d be Lying.
Coman's doing well :D

Maybe your prediction will come true - you just got the wrong season :lol:

P.S. The backstory to this is that Ricky went big on Coman last season and has now completely omitted him this season :shock:

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

RickyRosa wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 10:21 Your talking about Citeh... My entire focus is around Atalanta.
An entire focus around Atalanta that doesn't involve their freely scoring strikers 🙈🙈🙈

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

Block you are so funny mate.

You need to know that your no long an anon.

With your constant criticism with just a select few knowing your identity...if you hit a player the whole world hears about it...when you miss like you have in loads of your teams (be honest if I wanted to be nasty I could tear your teams to shreds).

The irony of the above statement is I’m actually really happy with the 5pts from my 5.5m players....I do have a Gomez as well but didn’t want to fill my striker births with keepers which are made from a team that have to face Liverpool and have a tougher opponent in Ajax next.

Because for me a lot of my strikers are keepers.

Oh and the irony.....the irony is your top team had two Atalanta Mids!

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

Well played CBN though I must say.

Some good looking results there and some perfectly picked teams.

CBN
Dumbledore

Post by CBN »

You’re not doing so bad yourself Ricky.

I was going to enter some late entries but with people like Block pulling the average down I don’t think I’ll bother :lol:

Toffeeman
FISOhead
FS Record: 49th YTM 2008/2009, 63 TFC 2011,T3 SDT Nov Premium Monthly

Post by Toffeeman »

Yep, great start CBN, some very good looking teams there.
And as much as you get critised Ricky, you've made a decent start. Hopefully most of its tongue in cheek :D
Only did 1 team and on 71.5. Poor 2nd day with varane, Benzema and pasalic proving poor picks
A lot of teams do seem to have been set up just focusing on the 1st set of fixtures so hopefully ground to be made

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

RickyRosa wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 07:56 Because for me a lot of my strikers are keepers.
Does that mean you plan on ignoring Lewandowski again like last season? :shock:

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Ricky has made a good start, but his teams will sink fast without Bayern/Man City attacking coverage. I know we get 2 free transfers, but he also needs to sort out his Leipzig defence because he doesn't have suitable alternatives on his bench. Are we looking at hits to sort this out or are you hoping to dodge more bullets next week?

By contrast, CBN has planned this well and can do the defensive switch without having to use precious transfers to sort that out.

P. S. I think you will find it's Sandor who is pulling the average down ;)

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

RickyRosa wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 19:05
DtotheB wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 18:07 The top of the league keeper and England’s number one, that Pickford - bizarre pick!

How’s your Rodriguez coverage?

But from what I’ve read, you’re a secret squirrel?!

#genius
15x Rodriguez for me.
Injured. Not sure how often you check aurora's diary, but deadline is 6:30pm tomorrow if you want to get rid.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FanTeam”