To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

time to give up

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.
Dumbledore

time to give up

Post by 12345678 »

having seen tff reduced to a clean sheet fest with poor pricing and thus a boring as hell game it's time to finally throw in the towel!

sad as a previous winner (top 10 last year) it used to be the game i enjoyed most but all the tweaks made it all about defenders as i'd warned them for years.

not sure what GFM are being paid for their mismanagement but with prizemoney down from the standard £50k and now finally halved to £5k it's time to admit they got me beat!

good luck to anyone playing, i wonder how many past winners have hoist the white flag?

many of the top players from the past like andy edwards and mike shipley have given up on FF as far as i know.

sdt, sky, fanteam for me (hoping the latter survive long enough to pay out!), shame there is nowt as far as i know with draft kings.

andy

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: time to give up

Post by murf »

GFM are being paid nothing for their mismanagement any more. Being run into the ground by someone else now.

No KCs with this change (assists only) so even more about defenders but while TFF breathes I'll still be there as it remains "my game".

Good luck in pastures new but they don't appeal to me.

#TFFtili(t)die(s)

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

tbh clever.tv were pretty much finished by the telegraph who were the best pay to play providers out there.

so the telegraph have to a certain extent been the victims of their own past policy to some extent.

GFM deserved to go - end of!

GL to you this year murf

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

by the way, just realised i put this in the wrong section if a mod would like to move it. ta!

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

12345678 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 17:39 having seen tff reduced to a clean sheet fest with poor pricing and thus a boring as hell game it's time to finally throw in the towel!

sad as a previous winner (top 10 last year) it used to be the game i enjoyed most but all the tweaks made it all about defenders as i'd warned them for years.

not sure what GFM are being paid for their mismanagement but with prizemoney down from the standard £50k and now finally halved to £5k it's time to admit they got me beat!

good luck to anyone playing, i wonder how many past winners have hoist the white flag?

many of the top players from the past like andy edwards and mike shipley have given up on FF as far as i know.

sdt, sky, fanteam for me (hoping the latter survive long enough to pay out!), shame there is nowt as far as i know with draft kings.

andy
I gave up playing TFF last year. Has always been my main game (have finished 2nd and 3rd in TFF and won TFFO - all when I was much, much younger) so was sad to stop playing after so many years.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

TFF is still the one I enjoy the most despite the recent negative changes to the game. This is off course helped by the side games and leagues that are on the FISO platform.

I also play and enjoy SDT and FPL and it's odd that the changes to SDT that all the dedicated players seem to hate for me have made it better. Played SKY for a few years now but not this season as it really does my head in.

When it comes to issues with prize structures this is rarely if ever an issue for me to worry about. :mrgreen:

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

I think it might be alright this season with the increase of higher pricing for several premium defenders and whilst assists may be unloved, it does sway the balance back to sticking the ball in the net rather than getting only 2 less points for playing an ante penultimate 1 yard pass in a goal move.

The prize money crash is of course crap but 99.9% of managers are playing for fun/glory I reckon.

juniors
Treebeard
FS Record: Won skysports f/football in the day of teletext , skysports formula 1. Daily mirror monthly winner, daily telegraph monthly winner, Daily Telgraph Championship 2017/18weekly winner 3 times

Post by juniors »

12345678 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 17:39 having seen tff reduced to a clean sheet fest with poor pricing and thus a boring as hell game it's time to finally throw in the towel!

andy
Spot on,

Am i right in thinking they advertise a prize pot of 10k ?.
They would have had a lot more interest if they put this prize fund into a overall prize structure in the main game only,,
thus doing away with a Facebook prize ,, weekly prize , even monthly prize , could have gone with something like , 1st =7k,, 2nd=2k,,3rd=1k
With so many transfer to use more time is needed to keep on top of the game, is it worth it, ? to finish say second , and win £250.

As it is this year, and i believe their final year is a win only prize , £250 pounds for finishing 2nd, over 9 months is laughable.
They just dont seem to listen, to us the players, or even ask for our valid feedback . i understand its their game, but put feelers out there asking what the potential players think or would like to see.

I so loved playing games like The Daily Star, even The mirror in its early years, Sky in the old days was fun. Saying this as i was lucky enough to win ,,,

Slowly but surely all will be purely fun only no cash prizes, Fanteam must be a real gamble just entering and giving them our money,, any business , surely runs for a profit?.
The numbers entered so far for the upcoming season are low,, no ,,,,, very low.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Yeah, ten years ago TFF was my "main" game and FPL "the other one", now it's very much swapped around.

I have a mates league in TFF which keeps me playing, but that has dwindled over the years, and apart from that it's just the FISO sidegames that keep me playing - the egg cup leagues, murf's highlander and the FPL/TFF combo.

I'm not that bothered about the changes to the points system, and I've never cared about prize money, so it wouldn't matter to me if there was no prize money at all. If I feel like playing for money (which I do some years), I join a FISO league like the TFF Tenners League.

For me the flanges are what has ruined it - the beauty of TFF used to be its simplicity, with a single deadline each matchday and just 30 transfers to make over the course of the season. It was ideal when playing with casual players, as it didn't require a lot of their time and if they forgot to look at their team for a week or two, it wasn't necessarily the end of the world. That's why my mates league was always TFF and not FPL. These days, with 40 transfers and being able to make transfers between fixtures on any given day, if you want to do well it's actually more labour-intensive than FPL.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

juniors wrote:

andy
Spot on,

Am i right in thinking they advertise a prize pot of 10k ?.
They would have had a lot more interest if they put this prize fund into a overall prize structure in the main game only,,
thus doing away with a Facebook prize ,, weekly prize , even monthly prize , could have gone with something like , 1st =7k,, 2nd=2k,,3rd=1k
With so many transfer to use more time is needed to keep on top of the game, is it worth it, ? to finish say second , and win £250.

As it is this year, and i believe their final year is a win only prize , £250 pounds for finishing 2nd, over 9 months is laughable.
They just dont seem to listen, to us the players, or even ask for our valid feedback . i understand its their game, but put feelers out there asking what the potential players think or would like to see.

I so loved playing games like The Daily Star, even The mirror in its early years, Sky in the old days was fun. Saying this as i was lucky enough to win ,,,

Slowly but surely all will be purely fun only no cash prizes, Fanteam must be a real gamble just entering and giving them our money,, any business , surely runs for a profit?.
The numbers entered so far for the upcoming season are low,, no ,,,,, very low.
They DO listen to players, the here-today-gone-tomorrow players they get in their twitter and Facebook feeds, not the long term customer base that has kept them strong.

Jezza3
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jezza3 »

Agree with most of what’s been said. Keeping monthly and weekly prizes whilst offering 250 for second place is laughable and just encourages cheating. Having some money to aim for (even if seldom achieved) is key for me as most of my friends are not interested in football so a mates league is not that important. Personally telegraph and the fantasy league game were my favourites and fantasy league also ran a fantastic golf game. They were a lot more expensive than others but that did mean you weren’t competing against so many people. Have entered one in fan team but as I’ve never concentrated on games with price changes really just a learning exercise this year. Real shame what’s happened to telegraph fantasy games over the past few years - cricket already gone.

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

it's obviously too late to save it and past it's sell by date.

the main blunder was the price alterations turning it into a defence fest. they thought 'hey defenders aren't scoring enough' but completely ignored them being much cheaper - VFM.

they missed the opportunity of pay to play leagues after a good start they turned them into daft seasonal minis.

the number of times you need to be present to make changes compared to FPL & sky made the game unpalatable for many. i've no doubt that as i said about the cricket game in the past the winner will have spent more time on this for their £5k than they would need for the same guaranteed £5k stacking supermarket shelves!

it's fine for the likes of murf who hasn't seen the need for change since he first saw alan shearer but for those of us that want an interesting goal based game it fails, for those of us who want an easy game on time/changes it fails, for those of us who want decent prizes it fails.

the only reason i can see for staying is loyalty and i've seen little of that reciprocally. sky, sdt, fanteam, draft kings even FPL all offer more in their different ways in my view.

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Is it the only national backed pay to enter game ? If so prize is a joke tbh.
As you say Fanteam sounds like it might be a mayfly game so give that a swerve.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

You don't pay to enter. It is free but that causes issues with limits, multi teaming and income.

I personally like(d) weekly and monthly prizes but they just don't work when you are limited to 5 teams and are against cheats who use various IDs to target them.

No reason they can't set something up where you can have more teams but those outside your first 5 don't count for seasonal tables etc but that would be too much like a good idea. Would increase their website hit rates or whatever they measure 'success' on these days.

ffstuff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ffstuff »

12345678 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 17:39 many of the top players from the past like andy edwards and mike shipley have given up on FF as far as i know.

andy
Mike Shipley often used to name his teams "Minor Threat" , 5 teams in FanTeam called "minorthreat" which may be him?

Frank

juniors
Treebeard
FS Record: Won skysports f/football in the day of teletext , skysports formula 1. Daily mirror monthly winner, daily telegraph monthly winner, Daily Telgraph Championship 2017/18weekly winner 3 times

Post by juniors »

andy
Add to the possible outbreak of Covid 19, hitting us hard again , meaning lockdowns this coming winter, reading all the news of a rise in daily cases close to home across the channel, act now BJ .
The football league programme could well be in jeopardy. hoping not , but being realistic.
Good Luck All , across all upcoming comps.

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

yes very true.

it will make me look at dailies n weekend games more.

we saw some pretty grim decisions from FF providers last time around.

to be fair tff wasn't one of them but all the work it requires makes it a NR for me

good luck to you too!

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

A bit of a late response, but thought I'd ask Andy (12345678) why he thinks GFM mismanaged the game. As long as I was working on the game (20 years), I always worked to make it the best game out there. I often tried to talk the client (Telegraph) out of making too many changes but any changes were always at the request of the client.

The price changes were again something I wasn't keen on doing, but had to listen to the client. And KCs were changed due to the client requesting various changes which had to be accommodated (believe me, my life would have been a lot easier if we'd kept the KC rules the same for all those years!)

I notice you prefer to play the Sky game, but that is also run by GFM!

Is it fair to say you hold a grudge against GFM due to them not backdating some transfers you wanted to make when the website was down many years ago?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

It hasn’t been the same since they scrapped the transfer password and the pun-filled weekly update that you had to actually buy the Tory rag for ;)

sportsmeister
FISO 2006 Golf Champion

Post by sportsmeister »

forestfan wrote: 27 May 2021, 08:55 It hasn’t been the same since they scrapped the transfer password and the pun-filled weekly update that you had to actually buy the Tory rag for ;)
Good ol' Jed

He used to be on the local sports news round here and then moved into radio but I haven't heard of him in the last 5 years or so

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

sportsmeister wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:45
forestfan wrote: 27 May 2021, 08:55 It hasn’t been the same since they scrapped the transfer password and the pun-filled weekly update that you had to actually buy the Tory rag for ;)
Good ol' Jed

He used to be on the local sports news round here and then moved into radio but I haven't heard of him in the last 5 years or so
Is that the guy who did the updates? What was his name?

SamD
FISO Knight

TFF journalist

Post by SamD »

Jed Pitman

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

Jed wrote all the weekly updates up to about 2012 (well, nearly all, I helped write one of them!)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I also stopped when "flange based transfers" came in, despite a lot of success in the FISO mini leagues. I didn't like it even before that where those with no life who could sit around waiting for team news in the first game had an advantage - for that to transfer to several games a day was the last straw for me. Never heard much complaint about it on here and I think that's because people on here take it seriously and liked the advantage they could get, but to me that was short sighted - it would give them a better chance of a smaller pie, as the casuals lost interest. That's happened, maybe for different reasons, maybe not.

TFC was the same - used to do quite well in that but then the deadline was changed to 11am every day, (and/or you could transfer between matches - can't recall exactly what changed) so anyone who wasn't able to get team news at 10.50 was at a huge disadvantage.

I do miss TFF (and TFC), especially the Combo league with FPL, but not tempted back unless the transfer rules change.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

forestfan wrote: 27 May 2021, 18:38 Found from 20 years ago :shock:

http://www.fiso.co.uk/daily-telegraph-f ... otball.htm
"and now the ability to make transfers on the internet."

Marvellous. I remember postal transfers, and paying for the game with stamps!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I didn’t start TFF until online transfers existed, but remember they still offered postal/phone transfers at the time!

Remember the pack they sent out when you entered, with a week-by-week progress chart, which I filled in at least one of the couple of seasons I finished top 100.

Re. Jed Pitman - most recent evidence of him I can find is a couple of books (co-)written, one on drug-smuggling cricketer Chris Lewis, and the other about Michael Jackson’s songwriter! Random...

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

forestfan wrote: 27 May 2021, 18:38 Found from 20 years ago :shock:

http://www.fiso.co.uk/daily-telegraph-f ... otball.htm
So I've been asking them to reverse this for 20ish years now:

18. Many competitions restrict the number of players from each club. TPL does not do that. Why not?

It was decided two years ago that people were not entering teams because it was taking too long to select a team due to the restrictions of formation, price and players from each club. They wanted to play but it was just too much hassle. I believed that one had to go and this was the most obvious choice. I never worked out the need for it in the first place. You have to be aware of accusations of dumbing down, though. I don't think we did and the numbers of teams has risen since the rule was changed.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I’ve always hated players per club restrictions. The block defences and packing your team with Cup finalists etc. were always a big part of the tactics.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Whatever happens I hope they consider allowing more than five teams. Ten would do me just fine with five being given over to serious play with the others used up for various side games with unusual/punitive rules.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”