To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

It’s all getting a bit Messi...

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

It’s all getting a bit Messi...

Post by forestfan »

So, will he really leave? Is it just a desperation move to force the president out and Xavi in?

Would be great to see him have a crack at another top European league, though would have been better had it happened 5 years ago. Really hope it doesn’t end in a premature semi-retirement move or a legal standoff keeping him off the field completely...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: It’s all getting a bit Messi...

Post by blahblah »

I'm thinking Inter Milan....

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

forestfan wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 09:56 Is it just a desperation move to force the president out and Xavi in?
Yes. He won't leave, Barcelona is his club.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

That’s why I fear it could end in a mega-stand-off, as Bartomeu seems a stubborn sort of bloke...

Maybe a swap deal with Bale would work for all parties :wink:

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

forestfan wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 10:42 That’s why I fear it could end in a mega-stand-off, as Bartomeu seems a stubborn sort of bloke...

Maybe a swap deal with Bale would work for all parties :wink:
Interesting idea, but not sure Bale would make a very good Barca president. How's Bartomeu's golf?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The thing is that he can not play for
Barca forever. Ronald seems to be the hatchet man to clear out the over 30s and Messi is just part of that. There is no point building a side around a 33 year old, and is why I seriously doubt any sensible European Club will want him, although there are a fair whack of whacko ones 😂

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Like Ronaldo, though, he’s still too good to go off to China or wherever, and someone could get 2 or 3 years at elite level out of him. And the commercial benefits will more than cover the wages.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

‘Yeah, but can he do it on a cold, wet Wednesday in <used to be Stoke - not sure who any more!>’

Ref blah’s whacko comment: Akin to Cantona and the League when he went to United, Messi’s the piece of the jigsaw that would convince City they can get past the Quarters; and with City they’d not be building the team around him. They already have a team structure he would slot in to.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Citeh already have a Kun sized hole to get out of with a dodgy defence, so adding Messi is just piling on the problems to be solved in the next few seasons?

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

forestfan wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 09:56 So, will he really leave? Is it just a desperation move to force the president out and Xavi in?

Would be great to see him have a crack at another top European league, though would have been better had it happened 5 years ago. Really hope it doesn’t end in a premature semi-retirement move or a legal standoff keeping him off the field completely...
We don't know every detail about what has been said but to be honest if this is one player exerting power to force someone above him out, Messi deserves all he gets, nothing. Sometimes I think a massive footballing implosion is required to reduce egos - at some point this is inevitable anyway.

Messi seems like a decent bloke though so perhaps there are way more details here...if he's genuine about wanting to leave, Barcelona are not coming out of this well, spouting a technicality regarding timing of 'season end' buyout clause.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, the president has clearly made a real mess of things - big signings have failed, the famous academy isn’t producing like it used to, and the club appears at war with itself. Maybe the degree of reliance on Messi has contributed to that, though. Every new attacking player brought in has to live in his shadow, and the “good team men” who provided such a strong supporting cast over the years are now either long gone or past their prime.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

forestfan wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 10:52 Like Ronaldo, though, he’s still too good to go off to China or wherever, and someone could get 2 or 3 years at elite level out of him. And the commercial benefits will more than cover the wages.
I'm not sure that's true. Even if he forces a free transfer it sounds like his annual package is £50m+. That's a lot of extra income needed from clubs which are already at the peak of sponsorship, TV and competition revenue and can't rely on gate receipts for the foreseeable future. And don't say he'll sell extra shirts :D

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Darbyand wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:47
forestfan wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 10:52 Like Ronaldo, though, he’s still too good to go off to China or wherever, and someone could get 2 or 3 years at elite level out of him. And the commercial benefits will more than cover the wages.
I'm not sure that's true. Even if he forces a free transfer it sounds like his annual package is £50m+. That's a lot of extra income needed from clubs which are already at the peak of sponsorship, TV and competition revenue and can't rely on gate receipts for the foreseeable future. And don't say he'll sell extra shirts :D
Well, his name’s pretty short, he’s no Vennegoor of Hesselink :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Lionel von Messi of Barcelona 👏👏👏

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Hasn't Fake home more CF so not as integral to any "system"?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

blahblah wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:56

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Amazing how much fuss can be made in the modern footballing world by a 33 year old man sending a fax.

Yes, a fax.

[ Kids- I'm not explaining this - google is your friend here]

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I think it was a Bureau Fax, as opposed to.a plain one.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I can't see him leaving for 2 reasons/
1 The legal wrangle over his free transfer
2 His salary.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 21:18 Amazing how much fuss can be made in the modern footballing world by a 33 year old man sending a fax.

Yes, a fax.

There’s nobody under 33 on here :wink:

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

blahblah wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 21:20 I think it was a Bureau Fax, as opposed to.a plain one.
Yes a Burofax communication is an option for certified official notifications in Spain. Can be sent from a Post Office (Correos) as well as your Lawyer etc.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Blah, are you going to decode that sentence? I'm intrigued.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Darbyand wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 09:04 Blah, are you going to decode that sentence? I'm intrigued.
It wasn't a bog standard fax, as Admin says.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Not that, this:

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

forestfan wrote:
murf wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 21:18 Amazing how much fuss can be made in the modern footballing world by a 33 year old man sending a fax.

Yes, a fax.

There’s nobody under 33 on here :wink:
I'm 32 lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Darbyand wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 09:33 Not that, this:

Oh: gone more Centre Forward so not as relevant to how the team plays as opposed to Messi who will expect to be the main man in build up plays....

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

La Liga have sided with the club and say the £700m release clause stands. And yet Messi refused to turn up for pre season testing earlier. This one's going to run and run.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Only got 1 year left on his contract so expect a stand off til Barce get what they can on deadline day.

Is that Oct 6th?

He missed his Coronavirus test so may well need a 14 day quarantine if he signs for Citeh/whoever.

Goes off to check calendar for games after 20th.....

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Sutter Kane wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:06
forestfan wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 09:56 So, will he really leave? Is it just a desperation move to force the president out and Xavi in?

We don't know every detail about what has been said but to be honest if this is one player exerting power to force someone above him out, Messi deserves all he gets, nothing. Sometimes I think a massive footballing implosion is required to reduce egos - at some point this is inevitable anyway.

Messi seems like a decent bloke though so perhaps there are way more details here...if he's genuine about wanting to leave, Barcelona are not coming out of this well, spouting a technicality regarding timing of 'season end' buyout clause.
The "technicality" is that it expired on June 10th. More than a technicality.

If Messi's advisers felt the Covid situation changed things they should have checked/negotiated before it expired, or exercised it then (presumably he could then re-sign if that was agreeable).

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

hancockjr wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 14:30
Sutter Kane wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:06

The "technicality" is that it expired on June 10th. More than a technicality.

If Messi's advisers felt the Covid situation changed things they should have checked/negotiated before it expired, or exercised it then (presumably he could then re-sign if that was agreeable).
In a lifetime first, I agree with you :shock: :shock:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”