To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Sir Stirling Moss

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Sir Stirling Moss

Post by bluenosey »

Sad news that he's died, aged 90, after suffering a long term illness.

A real throwback to an era where drivers wore cloth caps, t shirts and goggles. Full of "Boys own" stories, living fast, partying hard.

He was lucky to survive a crash in 1962 which finished his career but he fought back to survive a coma and temporary paralysis.

Arguably the best driver to never win the F1 championship. It is well publicised that he fought for Mike Hawthorn to be reinstated at one of the 1958 GPs. Hawthorn was and subsequently went one to win the title. This the year after Peter Collins gave up his car for Fangio also costing him the title in the process. Proper Corinthian spirt back in those days. Once Fangio had retired, he was unlucky enough to come across the all conquering Jack Brabham/Cooper combination. He also never drove for Ferarri - which could have cost him - albeit there were rumours that he had secured a deal for 1962, a Ferrari painted in privateer Rob Walker's colours. That would have been fascinating, against Jim Clark too, but we never really got to see it.

A sad day for British motorpsort but in a way, a triumph that he made 90. So many of his compatriots were a lot less fortunate. This photo says everything you need to know :-

RIP

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Sir Stirling Moss

Post by murf »

A great talent - I watched him race a lot in saloon cars a lot when he was older and I was younger. Have his autograph somewhere! Used to be sponsored by Mayfair (IIRC).

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

murf wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 11:29 A great talent - I watched him race a lot in saloon cars a lot when he was older and I was younger. Have his autograph somewhere! Used to be sponsored by Mayfair (IIRC).
Prior to The Birmingham Super Prix, there was an event called "Round the Streets of Birmingham", about late 70s. I saw Stirling there but I cannot recall the car (could have been the Maserati) I was about 6. I did get James Hunt's autograph though but no idea what happended to it :(

I'm sure he must have been present at one of the British GPs I attended too.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Ha, here we go :-

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Might well not be Stirling driving at the time but this is one of the Mayfair VW Scirocco team from 1980's inaugral 24 hour race at Snetterton (dull fact - one of the winning drivers was cyclist Alex Dowsett's dad Phil).

(not my photo but I was there)

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

That was even before my time, I started to follow Formula 1 only in the late 60's.

R.I.P.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”