If you fancy extra interest while watching the final stages of the World Cup in Japan, read on...
HOW TO PLAY
Make 12 predictions in total:
A. Winner and margin of victory* in each of the eight remaining matches
Code: Select all
* Margins Pts-range Tiny T 0-7 Small S 8-14 Medium M 15-21 Large L 22-28 XtraLg X 29+ example: post 'SA M' if you think South Africa will beat Japan by 15 to 21 points**
A. Five points are available for each quarter-final, semi-final and third place match:
- earn full 5 points for exact result & margin
- lose a point for each margin-range variance
- lose further point for incorrect result
- minimum points per forecast is zero
- minimum score for predicting match winner is two.
** For example, if you predict 'SA M', you'll gain:
- full five points if South Africa win by 15 to 21 points;
- three points if SA win by Extra-Large or Tiny margin;
- one point if Japan win by Tiny margin; etc.
Points are doubled for WC Final match, ie 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0.
Score at full-time is taken as result; ie extra time does not count.
B. Earn five points for correctly predicting overall champions.
And another five points each for predicting second and third places.
In each case, lose points for each positional difference.
For example, if you forecast NZ to be runners-up, you score:
- three points if they are first or third
- two points if fourth
- one point if eliminated in QF.
Earn ten points for predicting total number of tries across last four matches:
ie both semi-finals, third place and final.
Lose a point for each try difference.
For example, if you forecast 12 tries, you score:
- 10 points if this is the exact number of tries
- 9 points if total tries = 13 or 11, etc.
Maximum overall points tally is 70, as in 2015 contest.
Tie-break, if entrants are level on points:
- total fully correct forecasts
- total correct results
- earlier original, unedited entry.
Group stage results: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49539605
Sat 19 Oct
QF1: England v Australia (Oita), 08:15 BST
QF2: New Zealand v Ireland (Tokyo), 11:15
Sun 20 Oct
QF3: Wales v France (Oita), 08:15
QF4: Japan v South Africa (Tokyo), 11:15
Sat 26 Oct - SF1: QF1 winner v QF2 winner (Yokohama), 09:00
Sun 27 Oct - SF2: QF3 winner v QF4 winner (Yokohama), 09:00 GMT (clocks change)
Fri 1 Nov - Third-place (Tokyo), 09:00
Sat 2 Nov - Final (Yokohama), 09:00
Overall winner receives a 'Fiso 2019 Champion' mug.
2015 RWC competition top five (of 22)
scopsm, 56 points
Big Bird, 55
Mick MacPaddywack, 52
Please use grid in next post to make your initial seven (of 12) forecasts by 08:00 UK, Sat 19 Oct.
Do say if help is needed with anything.
Good luck and happy viewing!