View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

A marathon in under 2hrs

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 29571
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:42
Location: having a picnic at the Bear Mountain

A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by Zimmerman » 12 Oct 2019, 09:43

Eliud Kipchoge becomes first athlete to run a marathon in under two hours!!

The Kenyan, 34, finishes in one hour 59 minutes and 40.2 seconds


That’s 100m in 17.01s (422 times in a row) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Knight
Posts: 16960
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by forestfan » 12 Oct 2019, 09:47

Remarkable achievement. Of course it was a paced, staged event as opposed to a race that counts for “official” record status, but doesn’t take away from the enormity of the milestone. The most significant one since the four minute mile?

I bet a pretty high proportion of people couldn’t run 100m in 17 seconds, never mind doing it 422 times back to back!

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 90692
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: In the Zombie Highlands waiting to be reanimated as Christopher Lambert
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by murf » 12 Oct 2019, 10:53

forestfan wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 09:47
Remarkable achievement. Of course it was a paced, staged event as opposed to a race that counts for “official” record status, but doesn’t take away from the enormity of the milestone. The most significant one since the four minute mile?

I bet a pretty high proportion of people couldn’t run 100m in 17 seconds, never mind doing it 422 times back to back!
OR running 8 and a bit parkruns (5Ks) at 14m 13s pace. Not many can say they have done/could do one at that pace. My PB is over 9 minutes slower than that!

A shame it was all a bit fake and all the aids do take something away from the achievement, the first sub-2hr marathon should be a great thing.

The first 10s 100m wasn't that long after Bannister and is probably as big a milestone but is never celebrated as much for some reason. 3 guys did it in 1 race but it didn't count (no electronic timing) but one of them, Jim Hines, soon did again, officially, in winning the 1968 Olympics. Has now been done 988 times! May be 1000 now as the list I found is a couple of weeks old (pre-Doha).

User avatar
bluenosey
Dumblenose
Posts: 12746
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: Solihull
FS Record: Considerably poorer than yow :-(

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by bluenosey » 12 Oct 2019, 11:28

It's aged him, though - looks more like 54 :wink:

Seriously, what an achievement 8-)

My 4.5 mile jog usually takes about 47 minutes. My, do I feel inferior :lol:

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 70782
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by blahblah » 12 Oct 2019, 13:34

😂😂😂

I gave up swimming after I realised how far behind the Paraolympians I was.

User avatar
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 25784
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: Home
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by Surprised » 12 Oct 2019, 13:40

bluenosey wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 11:28
It's aged him, though - looks more like 54 :wink:

Seriously, what an achievement 8-)

My 4.5 mile jog usually takes about 47 minutes. My, do I feel inferior :lol:
He'd only be about 6 miles in front of you after 47 mins.

User avatar
raoul
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2280
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FS Record: got up to 3rd in TFF overall one Christmas about 15 years ago ... and won Football Fantastic (how I miss thee) one year. Apart from that, pants.

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by raoul » 12 Oct 2019, 14:12

I had wondered whether anyone had programmed a treadmill at 13.1mph and done it on there?

Remarkable achievement and he looked fresh as a daisy afterwards.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 90692
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: In the Zombie Highlands waiting to be reanimated as Christopher Lambert
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by murf » 12 Oct 2019, 15:32

raoul wrote:I had wondered whether anyone had programmed a treadmill at 13.1mph and done it on there?

Remarkable achievement and he looked fresh as a daisy afterwards.
I'm sure I could do that with a treadmill and look fresh as a daisy afterwards, what with having 1hr 59m 40s to recover from being spat off the back of the treadmill.

User avatar
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight
Posts: 29571
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:42
Location: having a picnic at the Bear Mountain

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by Zimmerman » 12 Oct 2019, 20:26

murf wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 10:53
forestfan wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 09:47
Remarkable achievement. Of course it was a paced, staged event as opposed to a race that counts for “official” record status, but doesn’t take away from the enormity of the milestone. The most significant one since the four minute mile?

I bet a pretty high proportion of people couldn’t run 100m in 17 seconds, never mind doing it 422 times back to back!
OR running 8 and a bit parkruns (5Ks) at 14m 13s pace. Not many can say they have done/could do one at that pace. My PB is over 9 minutes slower than that!
Only FIVE of the 51,363,611 parkruns completed have been faster than Eliud's pace 😵

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 70782
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by blahblah » 12 Oct 2019, 21:02

Zimmerman wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 20:26
murf wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 10:53
forestfan wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 09:47
Remarkable achievement. Of course it was a paced, staged event as opposed to a race that counts for “official” record status, but doesn’t take away from the enormity of the milestone. The most significant one since the four minute mile?

I bet a pretty high proportion of people couldn’t run 100m in 17 seconds, never mind doing it 422 times back to back!
OR running 8 and a bit parkruns (5Ks) at 14m 13s pace. Not many can say they have done/could do one at that pace. My PB is over 9 minutes slower than that!
Only FIVE of the 51,363,611 parkruns completed have been faster than Eliud's pace 😵
😂😂😂😂😂😂

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 90692
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: In the Zombie Highlands waiting to be reanimated as Christopher Lambert
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by murf » 12 Oct 2019, 21:57

Zimmerman wrote:
murf wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 10:53
forestfan wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 09:47
Remarkable achievement. Of course it was a paced, staged event as opposed to a race that counts for “official” record status, but doesn’t take away from the enormity of the milestone. The most significant one since the four minute mile?

I bet a pretty high proportion of people couldn’t run 100m in 17 seconds, never mind doing it 422 times back to back!
OR running 8 and a bit parkruns (5Ks) at 14m 13s pace. Not many can say they have done/could do one at that pace. My PB is over 9 minutes slower than that!
Only FIVE of the 51,363,611 parkruns completed have been faster than Eliud's pace Image
The record at my local one is 3 and a half minutes outside that, mind you there have only been 8000 attempts and it isn't exactly flat.
I doubt Kipchoge could even get near it. He is welcome to try bext saturday if he wants. I'll even pace him for the first couple of yards.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 90692
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: In the Zombie Highlands waiting to be reanimated as Christopher Lambert
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by murf » 13 Oct 2019, 21:07

And now Paula Radcliffe's marathon world record goes.
New record is faster than any man had run until 1964.

hancockjr
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 4940
Joined: 17 Aug 2006, 21:24
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by hancockjr » 13 Oct 2019, 21:59

raoul wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 14:12
I had wondered whether anyone had programmed a treadmill at 13.1mph and done it on there?

Remarkable achievement and he looked fresh as a daisy afterwards.
When I was fitter I used to (on a treadmill) do 4 minutes at 9mph, 3 minutes at 10mph, 2 minutes at 11mph and 1 minute at 12mph, rest for a minute then repeat.

The minute at 12mph felt like sprinting, yet it's 1.1mph short and a treadmill is easier.

User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 7252
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by unc.si. » 13 Oct 2019, 22:18

I could keep up with him easily.

Well, for the first 800m no problem. Sometime soon after that I might need a little sit down.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 90692
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: In the Zombie Highlands waiting to be reanimated as Christopher Lambert
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by murf » 13 Oct 2019, 23:16

unc.si. wrote:I could keep up with him easily.

Well, for the first 800m no problem. Sometime soon after that I might need a little sit down.
On your bike I assume.

Or can you really run 800m in 2:16?

User avatar
SUZYKINS
Dumbledore
Posts: 8855
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: Up in the trees feeding Crouch & Zigic.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by SUZYKINS » 14 Oct 2019, 17:23


User avatar
unc.si.
Dumbledore
Posts: 7252
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 14:08
Location: Off to buy Loctite
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by unc.si. » 14 Oct 2019, 17:47

murf wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 23:16
unc.si. wrote:I could keep up with him easily.

Well, for the first 800m no problem. Sometime soon after that I might need a little sit down.
On your bike I assume.

Or can you really run 800m in 2:16?
think I got my maths wrong there :D
No - about 2.30, but that was a long time ago. I was OK at 100m (11.4something, OK for a rugby full back but didn't get me to the Midlands finals on the track) and up to 400m (57ish). I think my chair would have to be at about 450m :D

a couple of years ago I went to the track with my daughter. Clocked pretty much bang on 15s for 100m, so these days I'd probably only keep up with him for about 150m, if that.

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 70782
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by blahblah » 14 Oct 2019, 17:52

Apparently his shoes are a bit dodgy 😂😂😂

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Knight
Posts: 16960
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by forestfan » 14 Oct 2019, 17:57

blahblah wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 17:52
Apparently his shoes are a bit dodgy 😂😂😂
Little wheels and an AA-battery powered motor? :wink:

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 70782
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: A marathon in under 2hrs

Post by blahblah » 14 Oct 2019, 18:29

forestfan wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 17:57
blahblah wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 17:52
Apparently his shoes are a bit dodgy 😂😂😂
Little wheels and an AA-battery powered motor? :wink:
Springs I thought 😎

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts
Post Reply

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests