To see less ads Register or Login ----- Please ensure that your fiso password is random and not used for other logins. You can change it here.

Definitely Maybe (25 today).

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Loved this album as an 18yo and Oasis would go on to soundtrack a fair chunk of my later teens and early 20’s. Loved Oasis at the time and saw them live a fair few times.

Got bored of them long before Noel disappeared up his own arse (and now find myself actually liking Liam (as a person).

Never ever opt to play one of their albums or records... but if ever one comes on the radio or tv it does remind me how great they were.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Re: Definitely Maybe (25 today).

Post by Maldini »

Quite possibly the most overrated band/album in my lifetime.

Drivel.

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

When I first heard them I wasn't keen as Liam's voice grated too much! Once I got over it I soon loved them. First album is maybe a bit too raw and patchy and second album maybe a tad overblown/produced but what a pair of albums.

Next 2 albums were weak and I gave up on them after that, they were almost like an Oasis tribute act who also played their own (crap) material - i.e. the new stuff. Also dislike all their subsequent incarnations.

But any band that shone so brightly will be remembered. At least we got 2 great albums that I can (and occasionally do) go back to.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 08:16 Quite possibly the most overrated band/album in my lifetime.

Drivel.
I think they were ‘great’ for the their time.
They were a catalyst for a really great period of music in this country.

Not sure it’s stood the test of time (ie I’m guessing they are only really loved by people of my age... a bit like the Stone Roses before them).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

murf wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 08:22 When I first heard them I wasn't keen as Liam's voice grated too much! Once I got over it I soon loved them. First album is maybe a bit too raw and patchy and second album maybe a tad overblown/produced but what a pair of albums.

Next 2 albums were weak and I gave up on them after that, they were almost like an Oasis tribute act who also played their own (crap) material - i.e. the new stuff. Also dislike all their subsequent incarnations.

But any band that shone so brightly will be remembered. At least we got 2 great albums that I can (and occasionally do) go back to.
Same, loved those first two albums, but everything after became gradually worse.

It’s cliched, but I love(d) lots of their b-sides too.

On your final point.... how many bands actually make more than two decent albums? That’s probably he barometer for great bands; churning out more than two albums (and the latter ones being truly as good as those first two and not just for nostalgic reasons).

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

The Stone Roses album sounds almost as fresh now as it did 30 years ago.

Everything Oasis did has aged terribly and in my opinion, wasn’t very good to begin with.

That said, they must have had something to be so popular....a bit like Ed Sheeran.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 08:27
Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 08:16 Quite possibly the most overrated band/album in my lifetime.

Drivel.
I think they were ‘great’ for the their time.
They were a catalyst for a really great period of music in this country.

Not sure it’s stood the test of time (ie I’m guessing they are only really loved by people of my age... a bit like the Stone Roses before them).
Yeah, a generation-defining album, along with its follow-up. Their later stuff as a band was patchy but both Gallaghers’ ongoing solo success proves their lasting impact - I think they do have younger fans as well, even though it’s a genre of music that is no longer mainstream in terms of what tops the streaming charts etc.

I managed to get tickets to Knebworth when I was 18, perhaps the musical event of the decade (with the likes of the Manics and Charlatans supporting). It seemed they could do no wrong at the time, though that proved to be the peak, with later material less well received and the rows becoming more prominent. Still, hard to see a musical act having such an impact on the country in this day and age.

A quarter of a century ago :shock:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

🙋‍♂️ Another who was at Knebworth (think murf was too).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 08:35 The Stone Roses album sounds almost as fresh now as it did 30 years ago.
It does to me too... but do they have any/much appreciation outside people from our age group?

Sure there will be some outliers, but the massive majority will be people 40-50.

As a side note, the Empress Ballroom gig was 30 years ago (12th Aug). I’m off to see the Clone Roses play the Empress on Saturday 🤣

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Were you all ‘Lads’ then?

Adidas trainers, bucket hats and Loaded subscription?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Still rocking the trainers 🤣

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Zimmerman wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 08:39 🙋‍♂️ Another who was at Knebworth (think murf was too).
I was at Earl's Court 95. I was also at the V Festival 2009, last ever appearance, before the fallout.

It's one of the great debut albums of all time, encapsulated for me by songs like "Bring it on Down", "Up in the Sky" and "Supersonic (have original on 7" and 12")

But it wasn't just this album. Parklife, His n Hers, I Should Coco and Elastica are all excellent albums. It was a movement back in the day.

A little chink of armour when the charts weren't full of euro pop, R n B/rap dirge and TV manufactured boy/girl "bands". I've still got most of the "Shine" albums on double cassette, a nice nod to the period.

As for bucket hats, well, Mani had one long before Liam and Ian Brown has has own range of Adidas shoes, doesn't he ? The Stone Roses album, also one if not my favourite album of all time, was the blue print for a lot of what appeared in the mid 90's, so how you can like one without the other is unusual to say the least...

Still, Definitely Maybe is 25 years old. eff I feel old :oops:

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

The Stone Roses was 1989 and part of the original ‘Madchester’ scene with the Happy Mondays, Technique by New Order, The Charlatans, 808 State, James etc.

I was 18. I had the flowery shirts, it was great.

1994, I was 23.

Oasis were Britpop which was, for the most part, pretty dreadful.
I was in to bands like Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Pavement by then.

Last edited by Maldini on 29 Aug 2019, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

This got me thinking about all the great bands from Manchester - what's in the water there :)

My own personal favourite - by a long way - is Sad Cafe - "Facades" a work of art.

Oasis the same as many other bands in that the songwriter runs out of ideas and motivation as the millions roll in.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:52 The Stone Roses was 1989 and part of the original ‘Madchester’ scene with the Happy Mondays, Technique by New Order, The Charlatans, James etc.

Oasis was Britpop which was, for the most part, pretty dreadful.
One influenced the other, simples. There is a big crossover

Ten Story Love Song was released about 95, was it not ? A great song even though the The Second Coming is marmite (I like it). The Charlatans fourth and self titled album, their best IMO, was released in 95. They spanned both movements

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:52 The Stone Roses was 1989 and part of the original ‘Madchester’ scene with the Happy Mondays, Technique by New Order, The Charlatans, 808 State, James etc.

1994, I was 23.

Doolittle was 1989. You must have been five years behind :wink:

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

It might have but I’d lost my dad and grown up a bit. Wanted more than nursery rhyme lyrics and the lad culture that those Britpop bands brought with them.
Seem to remember getting into The Doors in the early 90’s (off the back of the Oliver Stone movie) and that led me to bands like The Stooges and early Floyd. I was 25 years behind there!

I did quite like Mansun from the Britpop era. Paul Draper was a good songwriter.

murf
FISO Baron

Post by murf »

I went to Knebworth but I was well into my 20s by then so not into them as a 'culture'. Stone Roses were great too, I was living around Manchester in the 'Madchester'/baggy era but it wasn't my main musical interest (not indie enough!). Went to loads of gigs in those days but never saw the Roses. Turned down an offer of a ticket because I only knew one song (Sally Cinammon) a while before album and they became huge - and I was away from Mancunia for the year around when it came out.

IMO The classic Stone Roses and Oasis albums still sound great. Only dated in they obviously come from that era but still sound fresh and exciting. May well put on DM later.

murf
FISO Baron

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote: It’s cliched, but I love(d) lots of their b-sides too.

On your final point.... how many bands actually make more than two decent albums? That’s probably he barometer for great bands; churning out more than two albums (and the latter ones being truly as good as those first two and not just for nostalgic reasons).
My iPod (on random) has kindly just played Half A World Away.

Oasis did actually make 3 great albums, there was a B-side compilation wasn't there? (Not got it as I have all the singles)

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Zimmerman wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 08:39 🙋‍♂️ Another who was at Knebworth (think murf was too).
I was at Knebworth. :) I remember it taking our coach about 4 hours to get out of the car park/field.

Loved this album and still do.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:52 Oasis were Britpop which was, for the most part, pretty dreadful.
Loved all of those bands as well but I liked a lot of Britpop to. Always been a big fan of Blur. I also liked a lot of the "Shoe Gazing" stuff as well.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

With you on some of the shoe gazing bands.

Nowhere by Ride probably in my top ten albums of the 90’s.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 12:30
Zimmerman wrote: It’s cliched, but I love(d) lots of their b-sides too.

My iPod (on random) has kindly just played Half A World Away.

Oasis did actually make 3 great albums, there was a B-side compilation wasn't there? (Not got it as I have all the singles)
Yeah, The Masterplan... some of their best material was initially hidden away on B-sides.

There’s probably a decent album to be cobbled together from songs on their later ones. I do still have a soft spot for Be Here Now though recognise its well documented faults (mostly, the tracks just being too long).

murf
FISO Baron

Post by murf »

Nothing to do with Oasis but today is 27 years since Michael Schumacher's first GP win.

I feel even older.

unc.si.
Dumbledore
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:52 The Stone Roses was 1989 and part of the original ‘Madchester’ scene with the Happy Mondays, Technique by New Order, The Charlatans, 808 State, James etc.

1994, I was 23.

Pixies tickets for Leeds just landed on my doormat :D

I've just listed a resale one for the balcony on ticketmaster - booked that one first then managed to get one downstairs. If anyone wants it for face value (£47 inc booking fee I think) drop me a line and I can unlist it (or just go to the ticketmaster site and you should see it listed at the same price, maybe a couple of quid more which they add on automatically

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Acquiesce is probably my favourite Oasis track and it's just been playing in the background. :)

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I loved Definately Maybe & Whats the Story yet I couldnt have named you one of their next albums.
Obviously I fell away from following music somewhere in the late 90's.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

unc.si. wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 17:24
Pixies tickets for Leeds just landed on my doormat :D

I've just listed a resale one for the balcony on ticketmaster - booked that one first then managed to get one downstairs. If anyone wants it for face value (£47 inc booking fee I think) drop me a line and I can unlist it (or just go to the ticketmaster site and you should see it listed at the same price, maybe a couple of quid more which they add on automatically
Is that with or without Kim ? Either way, should be great :D
Spinynorman wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 17:34 Acquiesce is probably my favourite Oasis track and it's just been playing in the background. :)
That and Rocking Chair. Also a mention for Half The World Away and Talk Tonight - all "B" sides as they were back in day but you would buy an Oasis CD back then and get at least 3 out of 4 great tunes. As has been mentioned, all on The Masterplan.
Maldini wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 13:33 With you on some of the shoe gazing bands.

Nowhere by Ride probably in my top ten albums of the 90’s.
The full version of "Leave Them All Behind" is phenomenal, although different album I think. I think they've reformed, haven't they ? Ironic that Andy Bell left them to go to Oasis....

Another band that started off of the same Shoegazy ilk and went Britpoppy were Lush. Some quality tunes in both periods, with the lovely Miki and Emma.
Beerfuelledman wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 18:17
I loved Definately Maybe & Whats the Story yet I couldnt have named you one of their next albums.
Obviously I fell away from following music somewhere in the late 90's.
The singles continued to be quality after "Whats The Story" although I agree the albums a bit more hit and miss. Lyla is a quality song IMO and I also Let There Be Love. Just get "Time Flies 1994-2009" You will realise how many quality singles they actually released.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, a lot of the later albums just weren’t that memorable on the whole, each time they seemed to come back saying “yeah, the last one was a bit shit, but this one’s great”. But there’s at least a couple of proper anthems on each. Both Gallaghers have put out solo albums better than later Oasis stuff (even if Liam doesn’t write his own songs, and it’s not quite the same as having both voices on the same album).

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 19:56 Yeah, a lot of the later albums just weren’t that memorable on the whole, each time they seemed to come back saying “yeah, the last one was a bit shit, but this one’s great”. But there’s at least a couple of proper anthems on each. Both Gallaghers have put out solo albums better than later Oasis stuff (even if Liam doesn’t write his own songs, and it’s not quite the same as having both voices on the same album).
Agreed and I'm not fussed for either's solo stuff. You're right about both voices together but I don't want them to reform. Imagine, lots of paunchy blokes with receding hairstyles in their 40s and 50s...nah that's not how I want to remember the time. Plus I saw them perform the last ever time, so that's an extremely small claim to fame I want to cling on to :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”