To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

NFL chat 2018/19 season

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy National Football League (American Football) games
TheTon
FISO Knight

NFL chat 2018/19 season

Post by TheTon »

There seem to be a couple of NFL fans on here, so thought I’d start a chit chat thread

Could end up just talking to myself but I do that most days anyway, so nae bother

Anyway, I’ve backed the Falcons in Phillie tonight for the season opener. Just a sneaking feeling with Phillie starting Foles and missing Alshon Jefferey. 27-21 Atlanta

As for the rest, as a 49ers fan I’m devastated to see Jerrick McKinnon out for the season having traded Carlos Hyde. I really fancied us to challenge for the NFC West but now I think the Rams should have that division locked up with Seattle looking like they’re going through a transitional period (not that you count the Seahawks and Wilson out, of course)

Strangely enough, even as a 49ers fan the team I’m most looking forward to watching this season are Minnesota, our week 1 opponents. If, and I think it’s a big if, Kirk Cousins can answer a few questions, with receivers like Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen and a solid running back in Latavius Murray he has all the weapons he needs to make a deep run.

I can see a real war of attrition between the Vikings and Jacksonville in Super Bowl LIII. Well, that’s what I’d love to see, but we’ll have a look back at this in a few months and see how far wide of the mark I have been

The Jags will of course have to negotiate seasonal conference heavyweights in New England and Pittsburgh, not to mention a divisional tussle with JJ Watt, Clowney and Mercilus AND a Chiefs side that look like giving a QB with cannon of an arm a chance.

As for a wildcard, I’m really excited to watch the Giants running back Saquon Barkley. Surely New York won’t be as rank as last season, will they?

TheTon
FISO Knight

Re: NFL chat 2018/19 season

Post by TheTon »

So, a bit of a cagey affair. I think Quinn will see it as an opportunity missed quite frankly. A nice ‘job’ by Phillie but Atlanta the masters of their own downfall, too predictable in the red zone looking for Julio. Matt Ryan had plenty of chances but they need some variation to their game (Sanu, Coleman, Freeman etc) if they’re going to compete through to the post season

As for the Eagles, Foles was poor. How fit is Wentz? How mobile in the pocket will he be when he gets game time? Agholor and Ajayi were excellent and the D solid enough, with Alshon Jeffrey set to be back in a couple of weeks they’ll get stronger, this was a tough opening game well negotiated by the Super Bowl Champs

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

A little over three minutes gone in the season opener - Brady to Gronk, touchdown. Will the Patriots’ dynasty ever end? Their divisional opposition looks piss weak once again as well...

TheTon
FISO Knight

NFL chat 2018/19 season

Post by TheTon »

forestfan wrote:A little over three minutes gone in the season opener - Brady to Gronk, touchdown. Will the Patriots’ dynasty ever end? Their divisional opposition looks piss weak once again as well...

Agreed, the division is weak but I think there is more to be excited by in the AFC this year. I couldn’t call the AFC West at all..

In other news, Alvin Kamara is superb to watch!

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Saints have sorted out their D then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The Browns won’t go 0-16 this season then! They could go 0-15-1, though... :lol: and when did we last see a Week 1 tie? It’s more likely to be of significance in complicating the Steelers’ playoff permutations later on in proceedings.

Predictably Nathan Peterman had another shocker for Buffalo. First round rookie Josh Allen did slightly better in replacing him, and presumably will start next week...

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Patrick Mahomes has an absolute cannon of an arm!

Browns should’ve beaten Pitts, despite being two scores down

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

The Bears will be waking up with sore heads this morning (no pun intended!) as the GOAT did what the GOAT does and landed an absolute dime on Allison to drag Green Bay to the win. Simply outstanding from Rodgers!

How about that Mack debut though, particularly in the first half!

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC 2012 T20 - 3rd in runs league

Post by Rick Spangle »

That was one of the best games I've seen in years - ridiculous debut from Mack.

Two very promising debuts from QBs as well (Mahomes and Darnold) - especially Darnold after that awful first ever pass in the NFL going for a pick-six.

The Saints DST was apparently the most selected on one of the sites weekly fantasy comps (can't remember which one). A nice race to the bottom in one of my leagues with one team starting the Saints (-4 points on our scoring) against the other team's LA Chargers (-3) :lol:

Nathan Peterman has now started 3 games for the Bills - and failed to finish any of them. (Pulled twice, and concussed once.)

Dion Lewis over Derrick Henry going forward?

LeSean McCoy thinking of requesting a suspension himself as a better option than playing in Buffalo?

2016 - LeVeon Bell missing the first few games, and back-up DeAngelo Williams leading the league in rushing yards in his absence - 2018 - Bell again absent and back-up James Conner going for nearly 200 all-purpose yards in the first game - maybe it's the O-line who might be pretty good?

Poor old Larry Fitz, one of my favourite players, toiling away to what looks like little purpose one more time in the scorching deserts of Arizona. He's from the frozen north (Minneapolis) for heaven's sake.

Superbowl - has to be the Patriots v. A.N.Other - if pushed, I'll say the Packers (if Rodgers doesn't miss any protracted period of time), or the Saints (chalk that opening game up to "just one of those things").

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

A little look ahead to this really interesting divisional clash between Cincinnati and Baltimore on Thursday night/ Friday morning;

Both teams secured opening week wins, but I fancy the Ravens (just) in a tight affair for this one. The Bengals pass rush looked terrific at the Colts in week 1, and Joe Mixon carries a real threat on the ground. In AJ Green, Tyler Eiffert and former first round pick John Ross, they have the weapons to cause anyone problems.

However, Baltimore will certainly expect to be tested more than what they faced from Buffalo, and they will have redemption on their minds following the defeat to Cincinnati last year that ended their post-season hopes (much to the joy of al Buffalo fans!). That said, with 3 WR’s all picking up opening day TD’s, the Flacco/ Jackson dual-threat QB combo and a solid D that dominates on 3rd and long, I think they’ll just about have enough to go 2-0.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

I was really impressed with Cincinnati last night (yes I stayed up for it, so I’m knackered now!) A bit early to say they go from pretenders to contenders but they have a well balanced team, a pass rush that forced errors out of Flacco and kept the Ravens largely at arms length.

AJ gets the headlines but credit to Andy Dalton, 265 yards / 4 TD’s / 24 completions, impressive from him and Cincinnati, the AFC North could easily be decided in week 17

I’ll do a little preview of the Sunday games at some point if anyone wants it? I know I’m largely talking to myself in here, but it may help for anyone wanting to get into NFL, and may encourage a little more interest (or I can just stop waffling to myself)

TheTon
FISO Knight

NFL chat 2018/19 season

Post by TheTon »

Quick preview of the sky games today...

First up, Chiefs @ Steelers. As the Bell saga rumbles on James Connor will look to capitalise against the Chiefs who gifted more fantasy points to running backs last week than all but one other team in the NFL. Big Ben is 6-1 against Kansas City, and is passed fit and expected to play, but this is an exciting KC offence that will score points in Pittsburgh. I thought Mahomes looked great, he has an absolute cannon of an arm, and in Hill, Kelce, Hunt and Watkins he has the ammo to deliver a big W on the road. I’m taking a punt on the Chiefs in this one, sending Pittsburg to Tampa Bay next week still in search of their first win!

Then comes Patriots @ Jaguars. A repeat of the AFC Championship game from last season, have the Jags bridged the gap? Brady is 8-0 against Jacksonville, but this will arguably be the toughest Jags defence he has faced. The Jags have more defensive TD’s than any other team in the league since 2017, the big question is Blake Bortles. Can he deliver against the perennial AFC Champions? This game could hinge on the availability of Leonard Fournette, who rushed for 76y and 1 TD from 24 carries when they last met. His fitness will be assessed at the latest possible hour. I think New England will get this done in Jacksonville, despite the hype and home field advantage - just!

So I’m (kind of) sticking my neck on the line and backing two big road wins, anyone think otherwise?

I wish I had time to write something more up, as there really are some mouth watering games in week 2. Big test for Minnesota in Green Bay, much hinges on AR’s fitness. Good test for the super bowl champs defence in Tampa, and an exciting clash of two big money running backs as the Rams host Arizona who’ll be desperate to improve on their opening week defeat to Washington.

Any games stand out for anyone else?

Last edited by TheTon on 16 Sep 2018, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Always hard to assess this early who the contenders are and which games are pivotal... I always like to see how the rookie QB starters get on, and Josh Allen has his work cut out in Buffalo, I don’t think they intended to start him this soon as he’s pretty raw. Darnold will look to build on his week 1 showing against a divisional rival... are they the only two to start so far?

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see 4 by week 4 - Josh Rosen (Cardinals) and Baker Mayfield (Browns) will fancy their chances of getting a nod. But yeah just Darnold and Allen so far (although Lemar Jackson has some game time under his belt for Baltimore, just not as a starting QB yet)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, sounds like Sicknote Sam had a pretty poor debut for the Crads, and he’ll be injured soon enough anyway... I can see Cleveland sticking with Tyrod Taylor for a while though they will want to ease Mayfield in sooner rather than later. They seem to have landed on their feet with a viable stopgap (unlike Taylor’s former employers...) but being Cleveland it’s bound to turn to shit somewhere along the line I guess :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

A week ago the Steelers were in disarray with infighting over money, and should be grateful that the Browns managed to crack\foooook up etc, so I'll go for the exciting Chargers.

Taking a risk with AR would be crazy, imho, if it means longer out? Can one of you wise owls explain the following: from what I saw the replacement QB was getting sacked all over the shop, yet AR had time for a look around, wave or three to the crowd before throwing. How does that work?

Eagles to lose, and the London Jags aren't quite ready to beat the Pats. (Are they English Pats, or American ones, and if so Pats against who\what?)

Which of the (0-7 last weekend) new coaches will win? For personal reasons, ie the Comp here: Detroit can go 0-16 :evil:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

On the subject of QB's: who is the bod who has been getting minutes, but not as a QB? I've forgotten his name, but it sounds mad...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 14:08 A week ago the Steelers were in disarray with infighting over money, and should be grateful that the Browns managed to crack\foooook up etc, so I'll go for the exciting Chargers.

Taking a risk with AR would be crazy, imho, if it means longer out? Can one of you wise owls explain the following: from what I saw the replacement QB was getting sacked all over the shop, yet AR had time for a look around, wave or three to the crowd before throwing. How does that work?

Eagles to lose, and the London Jags aren't quite ready to beat the Pats. (Are they English Pats, or American ones, and if so Pats against who\what?)
These guys I guess...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot ... evolution)

Re. Rodgers and his backup, while a great QB can’t totally overcome a poor OL, he can still make plays and adjust better than an inexperienced/poor one, and make it look like he has more time. Also I guess teams will blitz more against a lesser QB as he’s more likely to panic and hand them an easy sack or throw a pick?

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Yeah what FF said. Rodgers experience in the pocket simply buys him more time. Plus the O-line get a subconscious lift when they’re blocking/ snapping for the GOAT!

As for the QB you’re referencing, I think you mean Lemar Jackson in Baltimore. He’s a dual threat QB and not quite ready to displace Flacco yet, although he’ll get some rushing snaps

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Oh and no way Phillie lose to the Buccs! The Eagles D will bury Fitzmagic and put him back in his box

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, “dual threat” QBs (those with playmaking ability in their feet as well as their hands) can potentially play snaps as RB or in read option/wildcat type plays which diverge from standard formation.

Some QBs have actually reinvented themselves in another position, it’s rare during an NFL career but a lot of skill position players (and of course kickers and punters) will have played QB in high school or college.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Thanks for the QB stuff - and I am pretty sure it is Jackson, and by mad I meant the Ravens should be concentrating on him as a QB....
TheTon wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 14:27 Oh and no way Phillie lose to the Buccs! The Eagles D will bury Fitzmagic and put him back in his box
Hmm, I'm looking at the other side of the coin ie the Eagles QB\Off delivering.

When I started watching this stuff the Giants\Cowboys was a biggie. The Giants my fave team (I was youngish then, lol) and I have always had a bit of an "Anyone against DC" thang......

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Giants can’t be any worse than they were last year

They have themselves a fine prospect in Saquon Barkley as well, so expect big things from him (and OBJ of course)

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

As for Phillie - Tampa, Deshawn Jackson and Mike Evans burned two fine corners last week for the best part of 300 receiving yards, but expect a tonne of extra pressure from Fletcher Cox, Mikey Bennett, Chris Long etc as the Eagles force third and long repeatedly. Although Foles wasn’t great, they still got the job done against Atlanta, and their offensive weapons are good enough to score points against a Buccs D that gave up 40 last week!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

re Giants: yep, and DC were good only a few seasons ago, but.... 8-) :lol:

For the other one, quite possibly, but I may stream it - what time here does it start?

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

blahblah wrote:re Giants: yep, and DC were good only a few seasons ago, but.... 8-) :lol:

For the other one, quite possibly, but I may stream it - what time here does it start?
The Phillie game starts at 6pm our time

As for the Cowboys, their play calling in Carolina was woeful. I saw this quote which summed up exactly where they’re at now..

Play-calling was easy with three All-Pro linemen, Bryant and Jason Witten in the huddle in 2016. Replace Bryant and Witten with Deonte Thompson and Geoff Swaim—and take away Travis Frederick, who was diagnosed with a rare illness in August—and those play-action passes suddenly no longer look like tactical wizardry.

Not good in Dallas, problems there that need sorting out..

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Apparently the Lions had issues with their's too :wink:

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

blahblah wrote:Apparently the Lions had issues with their's too :wink:
Either that or it was tactical genius from the Jets making their rookie QB throw a pick 6 with his first shot to lull Detroit into a false sense of security..!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

TheTon wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 17:53
blahblah wrote:Apparently the Lions had issues with their's too :wink:
Either that or it was tactical genius from the Jets making their rookie QB throw a pick 6 with his first shot to lull Detroit into a false sense of security..!
Apparently the Lions' calls were all "known"....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Buccs 7 up from first play :lol:

Is throwing 7 points on 1st Play the new NFL tictac?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy NFL”