To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Drafty Meeting Room - Opinions of the FPL Draft Game

FPL Draft format starting in 2017/18
Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

The Drafty Meeting Room - Opinions of the FPL Draft Game

Post by Talkie Toaster »

So the game has been launched, the rules have been published, MoSe has read them and a few of us have dipped our toes in the game with a test draft or two.

The game is still in its embryonic stages, but I thought it was worth starting a thread for everyone to sing the game's praises, vent their frustrations and generally share what they think of it.

What are your first impressions?
Things you'd like to see changed/added/removed.
Comparisons with other draft games.
Is no trading between managers a massive disappointment?
Potential for FISO sidegames/competitions/a divisional league?

Please try to keep posts specific to the fpl draft game though, rather than just a general I like/don't like draft games.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: The Drafty Meeting Room - Opinions of the FPL Draft Game

Post by Mav3rick »

I do like it, as a way to play a small league among friends. It will be much more intense and personal than FPL, but ultimately I'd rather have a top 10k global FPL rank.

Very different games with very different purposes, I think public draft leagues won't work, I just don't see the appeal. And with such small numbers, money leagues will be plentiful but require trust.

Maybe that is the best way for FISO to be involved, the small leagues of members, who will discuss their league and provide 'bantz' as necessary in the league thread. I doubt I'll care much about someone else's draft, but side games could really elevate the experience, particularly divisionals with promotion and relegation.

Divisional competitions and also a repository of money leagues for those so inclined, FISO could massively work with draft FPL in that sense.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Talkie Toaster wrote:So the game has been launched, the rules have been published, MoSe has read them and a few of us have dipped our toes in the game with a test draft or two.

The game is still in its embryonic stages, but I thought it was worth starting a thread for everyone to sing the game's praises, vent their frustrations and generally share what they think of it.

What are your first impressions?
Things you'd like to see changed/added/removed.
Comparisons with other draft games.
Is no trading between managers a massive disappointment?
Potential for FISO sidegames/competitions/a divisional league?

Please try to keep posts specific to the fpl draft game though, rather than just a general I like/don't like draft games.

I think the game looks great. Very easy to use and fun.
No trading between managers is better as it stops daft dealings ruining the game " Oh I can't win now so I'll give my mate kane for gray"
I've not done a draft but I've been working on my watch list in prep .

I don't think I'd play with no money involved. Glad tacalabela is running his league as it will attract serious players. Leagues like this all depend on how good the players are. I certainly wouldn't bother playing against my mates

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

I've enjoyed my first experiences with this game.
The draft was fairly intuitive, easy to get into and everything went pretty smoothly really.

Some of the rules could have been written better. In particular the rules around transactions - Waivers and Free-Agency, could do with more detail as what they have at the moment is rather open to misinterpretation. It doesn't help that the preview article for the game on the fpl site (and still there), describes completely different rules for transactions.

My personal wish-list for changes to what I've seen so far would be:

1. A Player Status filter on the transactions screen. Wading through pages of unavailable players is already tedious and I haven't even needed to start trying to find anyone yet.
2. On the Draft Screen for the Current Pick/Next Pick/Timer Window to be fixed in place so it doesn't disappear off the screen when you scroll through the player lists or down to the chat box.
3. To be able to set up a Draft Watchlist in the hub and then export that to your various leagues, rather than having to start a new one from scratch every time.
4. For the Administrator of a private league to be able to trigger the generation of the draft order as soon as the league is full, rather than having to wait until the draft starts.
5. A toggle button on the team lists on the right hand side of the Draft Screen so you could switch between the squad view (What it currently shows) and Draft View - Each team's draft picks in rounds 1 -15 (Like what you see from Mav3rik's Draft Summary Tool).

As for differences between how this game looks like it's going to work and how other draft games work, my view is give it a chance. I think draft games have become structured the way they are because that's the way US sports work. Maybe the fpl have taken the view that we can do some things a bit different and it might make a better game.

Ardrageen
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Retired from FPL. Used to be ok at it. 120th FPL. 1st FFS HOF.

Post by Ardrageen »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 19:45
3. To be able to set up a Draft Watchlist in the hub and then export that to your various leagues, rather than having to start a new one from scratch every time.
This is really annoying me too.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I think short leagues (say, six gameweeks) with promotion, relegation and regular new drafts would be excellent. Certianly stop people at the bottom of a league getting bored!

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

you mean, Draft Divisionals?

there's no evidence you can set a Draft League END date
Of course, you can use it just to manage the draft, register the score for 6 gameweeks, and then forsake it.

BUT
>Can I leave a league?
It is only possible to leave a league before the draft has taken place.
Once the draft has been run, your team is locked in the league for the remainder of the season.
>Can I delete a league?
A league can be deleted up until the first Gameweek deadline.
Once the season has started for that league, it will run until the end of the season.
so, once you let a league start its first GW, then one of your mere 10 Draft League slots will be burned for the season

besides, you can't choose GW start, although it looks like you can use the trick of setting a later Draft Date.
Rules > Leagues wrote:Draft date
The private league administrator will select a date for the draft to take place.
If the draft runs past the next Gameweek deadline, then the league will simply start the following Gameweek.

Draft pushback
If the minimum number has not been met at the time of the draft, the draft date will be pushed back 48 hours. This will continue until the minimum number has been met.
Should this time move beyond the first deadline, the game will start properly at the next deadline (assuming that the draft is completed).

Deleting / Leaving a league
The private league administrator may delete a league before scoring starts.
Players are able to leave a league up until the draft starts.
I have tested creating a dummy league, setting draft date to Sep 2nd
it says
Draft Date: Sat 2nd Sep 2017
Draft Time: 13:00
Draft Time Zone: Europe/Rome
Starting Gameweek: 1 :?

and the countdown says 9 days, that is it "thinks" 2nd Sep is 2nd Aug... :roll: :roll: :roll:
if I set it to Aug 26th it says 2 days.... <sigh>

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

bspittles wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 10:04 I think short leagues (say, six gameweeks) with promotion, relegation and regular new drafts would be excellent. Certianly stop people at the bottom of a league getting bored!
This is why I joined the cash league. So serious players stick with it

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

:lol: and the computer is thinking... who is this idiot that wants to start playing the game after its already started.
This is just not logical

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

DAREEL wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 12:07
bspittles wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 10:04 I think short leagues (say, six gameweeks) with promotion, relegation and regular new drafts would be excellent. Certianly stop people at the bottom of a league getting bored!
This is why I joined the cash league. So serious players stick with it
I avoid joining a cash league, despite money not being a problem, because I'd lose interest should I fall early out of prizes reach, while I'd be happy fighting for 6th place till the end, just for fun and "glory" if no money involved

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Curious:

Would you draft Injured players?
E.g. Hazard is expected to be back for gw4

would you avoid drafting him, and risk a rival higher in the waiver order brings him in before you when he gets back?
Or would you pick him, and play with 14 players till he gets back, with the risk his return gets pushed back or he's slow to pick up form again?

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

i was pondering Hazard myself, what if you never had a chance to get him in your team and he comes back in in gameweek 4 and has his usual great season,
I think with the league being 8 - 10 players you have plenty of talent right through your bench to cover him for three weeks so I recon you need to be in from the start with premium injured players, of course if you can rank him further down , you just need to figure out who you would like more - if eveyone left him alone the worst ranked player would get first chance to waiver him in - its all about timing.

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

The draft room looks good to me, the only thing I'll add is sound to warn you it's your turn or when you have 10 secs left to act.
edit: it would be great if you could do mock drafts too, I only did a 2 man draft yesterday with a friend to see how it looks but a draft with 6 to 10 teams is a whole different thing.
Talkie Toaster wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 19:45 2. On the Draft Screen for the Current Pick/Next Pick/Timer Window to be fixed in place so it doesn't disappear off the screen when you scroll through the player lists or down to the chat box.
I think they might have fixed it, I did a draft yesterday and the "Current Pick/Next Pick/Timer Window" was going down as I was scrolling down the players list and the chat box.

DAREEL wrote: No trading between managers is better as it stops daft dealings ruining the game " Oh I can't win now so I'll give my mate kane for gray"
I strongly disagree with that! I've been playing fantasy baseball for a few years now and trades are half the fun in this game. What they do to counter what you suggest is that any member of a league can vote against a trade if they find it unfair, if there's a majority of votes against a trade then it's cancelled.

MoSe wrote: Curious:

Absolutely. It depends on the player and the length of the injury of course but Hazard will likely be one of the top scorers in the game and should be drafted. I'd probably draft him even if he was out for the first 10 GWs. You have a bench (and likely a much better one than on regular FPL) and you should use it :)

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

asm_fanz wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 15:38 The draft room looks good to me, the only thing I'll add is sound to warn you it's your turn or when you have 10 secs left to act.
edit: it would be great if you could do mock drafts too, I only did a 2 man draft yesterday with a friend to see how it looks but a draft with 6 to 10 teams is a whole different thing.
Talkie Toaster wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 19:45 2. On the Draft Screen for the Current Pick/Next Pick/Timer Window to be fixed in place so it doesn't disappear off the screen when you scroll through the player lists or down to the chat box.
I think they might have fixed it, I did a draft yesterday and the "Current Pick/Next Pick/Timer Window" was going down as I was scrolling down the players list and the chat box.

DAREEL wrote: No trading between managers is better as it stops daft dealings ruining the game " Oh I can't win now so I'll give my mate kane for gray"
I strongly disagree with that! I've been playing fantasy baseball for a few years now and trades are half the fun in this game. What they do to counter what you suggest is that any member of a league can vote against a trade if they find it unfair, if there's a majority of votes against a trade then it's cancelled.

MoSe wrote: Curious:

Absolutely. It depends on the player and the length of the injury of course but Hazard will likely be one of the top scorers in the game and should be drafted. I'd probably draft him even if he was out for the first 10 GWs. You have a bench (and likely a much better one than on regular FPL) and you should use it :)
I would vote against anyone above me getting what I thought was a better player. So not sure that would work as others would surely do the same no?

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Well every trade is unfair to some extent (i.e. is Sanchez for Hazard or Milner for Valencia fair?) Normally you wouldn't vote against such trades, they are probably made because both managers think they will gain from them. These "vetoes" are made for trades like the one you mentionned.
I've never had any problems with those really and I've managed a fantasy baseball league for 3 years now

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

How many players do peeps have on their watchlist at the moment? I've got 49, is that too thin? I'd like to think that beyond the big hitters and ever-presents, I'd be able to think on my feet towards the latter picks.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I'm spending a little time on the watchlist in excel now. I guess it's more important in the deeper categories, and I'm also thinking about what happens in late Vs early draft order, when all the top strikers seem to go in the first 5 picks.

Are you best off taking your 1st and 2nd pick (which will be in close succession) on the best mid and then the best striker you're left with?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Mav3rick wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 17:05 I'm spending a little time on the watchlist in excel now. I guess it's more important in the deeper categories, and I'm also thinking about what happens in late Vs early draft order, when all the top strikers seem to go in the first 5 picks.

Are you best off taking your 1st and 2nd pick (which will be in close succession) on the best mid and then the best striker you're left with?
Yeah, I'd be surprised if people aren't putting Alexis and Alli ahead of most forwards as well, their output is just as good.

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

Tacalabala wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 17:24
Mav3rick wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 17:05 I'm spending a little time on the watchlist in excel now. I guess it's more important in the deeper categories, and I'm also thinking about what happens in late Vs early draft order, when all the top strikers seem to go in the first 5 picks.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if people aren't putting Alexis and Alli ahead of most forwards as well, their output is just as good.
It isn't as simple as ali/ sanchez verses most forwards as a comparison though is it?

It could be ali plus 24th best forward verses say 10th best forward and a mediocre midfielder if you go all out up front first.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

robot wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 17:34
Tacalabala wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 17:24

It isn't as simple as ali/ sanchez verses most forwards as a comparison though is it?

It could be ali plus 24th best forward verses say 10th best forward and a mediocre midfielder if you go all out up front first.
That's the judgement call you're going to have to make during the draft though, someone makes a bad pick and you hope you're next? I do get what you are saying though, you certainly need two top 10 strikers if you can possibly manage it in the first two rounds of draft, the third man I think you can afford maybe to sacrifice to bring up your mids in draft, and then hope to trade up with a Vardy ala two years ago when he came out of nowhere to storm it? But also, do you just skip the middle man and go for a Vardy type pick in draft?? Of course, if you get Jesus or Lukaku you're probably going to look to getting Ageuro or Rashford to handcuff that club in your front three.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Tacalabala wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 17:00 How many players do peeps have on their watchlist at the moment? I've got 49, is that too thin? I'd like to think that beyond the big hitters and ever-presents, I'd be able to think on my feet towards the latter picks.

I went with 120 for my last test draft (24 F, 40 M, 40 D, 16G), enough to fully cover an 8 team league. Although, admittedly, I didn't put a massive amount of effort into it.

I think when it comes to the later rounds there's more divergence between my choices and the fpl draft rankings, so without a complete list you end up having to search around the player lists a lot more to see which of the players you're interested in are still available. Not ideal when under time pressure.

My list held up pretty well in the end even though we finished up with 9 teams in the draft.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

If anyone checks their score(s) today they'll see a little pop up from the FPL saying that we'll be able to view our teams from today and leagues will be updated by Wednesday. They also claim future GWs will be processed immediately.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

dino1980 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 10:54 If anyone checks their score(s) today they'll see a little pop up from the FPL saying that we'll be able to view our teams from today and leagues will be updated by Wednesday. They also claim future GWs will be processed immediately.

Fingers crossed eh.
You seem to be able to click on other peoples teams as well now in the league tab, but when I tried it just hung for ages. :roll:

This last week's been a bit of a shambles really with drafts crashing because they couldn't handle the volume, no visibility of transactions in waivers or free-agency and then the leagues not updating over the weekend. Hopefully they get it all sorted before people start losing interest.

ROCKFISHDG
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL Results (06/07~9,044) (07/08~68,533) (08/09~14,557) (09/10~8,120) (10/11~9,875) (11/12~17,404) (12/13~41,149) (13/14~342,190)(14/15~223,908) (15/16~435,446) (16/17~105,445) (17/18~2266~34,029) (18/19~367,582) (19/20~64,137)

Post by ROCKFISHDG »

Slow progress:

+ You can now see other teams in your league from the "League" tab! :)

+ You can now switch from your own team to team (if you have more than one) without having to leave the draft site & then return. :)

- Still no auto subs from the weekend, so no final scores & GW rankings :(

Matty B
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Matty B »

when searching for players to make transactions it would be great to filter out those already in peoples teams and just see those available

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Matty B wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 21:27 when searching for players to make transactions it would be great to filter out those already in peoples teams and just see those available
Yeah, we noticed
Someone suggested to put all them available in your WL, there's then a button to filter WL

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

So still no points showing?? Or am I being blind?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Nothing yet, a bit frustrating now

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

It's gonna be a long F5 wednesday....

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Now I see my score updated with expected autosubs, under my country flag
Points/Rankings
Gameweek Points:55
Overall Points:55
And the league standings are updated too with the correct scores

EXCEPT
in the Points pitch wiew I still see the pre-subs score at the top of the page, and autosubs are NOT displayed as they use to do in FPL
e.g. I still have Trippier on GW1 pitch and Keane on my bench...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Draft”