To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Europe 2017 Strategy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on European fantasy football games run by The Sun newspaper.
pulpfiction
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in phase dream team europe, 3rd november manager of the month

Re: Europe 2017 Strategy

Post by pulpfiction »

Stoneybatter wrote:No matter how good we may think we are at this game, timing and luck play a big part in wining or losing.
I agree, but try getting a big winner to admit that after the fact. :lol:

mediterranean
Red & Blue Braces

Post by mediterranean »

pulpfiction wrote:
mediterranean wrote: Pulpficition, where abouts on the draft kings site do you search his name to see how much he's won, I'm new to it and can't find it?
Here is general link about him.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2015/11/23/dfs ... er-profile

A breakdown of some of his winnings from rotogrinders (a great dfs site imo)

https://rotogrinders.com/profiles/saahilsud

If you have a draftkings account, you can find his entries for each individual contest by opening that contest e.g. NBA $1 leap million and enter saa in the box which says 'search for an entrant'

Cheers pal, the guy has spent $33,200 on just that 1 comp!

Does he play the epl games ? I will give up now if he does.

bennyc
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Weekend Dreamteam Winner/WC Fantasy Stakes winner.

Post by bennyc »

Ant1 wrote:
Striker wrote:@superiorpinkham +1

Fantasy football is a very simple exercise. But some posters seem to want to give it an intellectual gloss. :wink:
Some of the comments make me laugh. You can't win this comp, or any other, without luck. There's basically two principles to achieve, clean sheets and goal scorers. If you're lucky to pick 5 goal scorers with your transfers & get any clean sheets on the way, that's a start.

Will the strategic players, that strategically chose Man U blocks, which lets face it, was SO obvious, re : high percentage of likely choice, will they strategically break those blocks up ? If Man U continue to progress & keep clean sheets, then the experts will say their strategic plan worked, when it's just mainly down to luck, for whatever strategy you have, and i mean that term very loosely.

You contradict yourself here. It's impossible to deny that luck plays a part but by your own admission you say that picking Man Utd blocks was obvious. It's mitigating risk. Any team could concede a goal but a) Utd had a relatively straight forward tie and b) they're favourites for the competition so even if they had conceded it was likely they'd go through and get another two shots at a clean sheet.

I personally believe full blocks in this game are dangerous because if the team goes out you're using a complete transfer allocation on rebuilding the defence. In the early stages I go 3/2 defensive split and mix up forwards. As the tournament progresses I keep the 3/2 if those teams remain active and then start to marry up the forwards and strikers so at the end of phase 2 I'll be 3/2/3/3.

The key will be not using the transfers when others are and panicking when teams go above you. It's tough.

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

bennyc wrote:
Ant1 wrote:
Striker wrote:@superiorpinkham +1

Fantasy football is a very simple exercise. But some posters seem to want to give it an intellectual gloss. :wink:
Some of the comments make me laugh. You can't win this comp, or any other, without luck. There's basically two principles to achieve, clean sheets and goal scorers. If you're lucky to pick 5 goal scorers with your transfers & get any clean sheets on the way, that's a start.

Will the strategic players, that strategically chose Man U blocks, which lets face it, was SO obvious, re : high percentage of likely choice, will they strategically break those blocks up ? If Man U continue to progress & keep clean sheets, then the experts will say their strategic plan worked, when it's just mainly down to luck, for whatever strategy you have, and i mean that term very loosely.

You contradict yourself here. It's impossible to deny that luck plays a part but by your own admission you say that picking Man Utd blocks was obvious. It's mitigating risk. Any team could concede a goal but a) Utd had a relatively straight forward tie and b) they're favourites for the competition so even if they had conceded it was likely they'd go through and get another two shots at a clean sheet.

I personally believe full blocks in this game are dangerous because if the team goes out you're using a complete transfer allocation on rebuilding the defence. In the early stages I go 3/2 defensive split and mix up forwards. As the tournament progresses I keep the 3/2 if those teams remain active and then start to marry up the forwards and strikers so at the end of phase 2 I'll be 3/2/3/3.

The key will be not using the transfers when others are and panicking when teams go above you. It's tough.
Saying it was obvious, i was saying that the majority were going to go with Man U blocks, two likely reasons, possible favourites & you have a lot of choice, unlike most team selections. I didn't go with a Man U block, because i only have 3 teams, and just chanced that United might get off to a slow start.

As you say going with any block is a risk. Ultimately you should be aiming to predict the four finalists, but no one has a crystal ball. At the later stages, you should be hoping that you're in a position to create a block.

My thoughts at this moment are hoping to choose 5 transfers that are going to hopefully score goals, i'll worry about a block option later, if possible ??

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

Ant your so wrong when you say it's all luck.

Benny makes an excellent point and observation.

If you look at his record he's a DT winner, I came 3rd and 5th in two different Euro competitions within months of each other, this I can assure you wasn't just down to luck.

Months of research, late nights, dedication, a will to succeed and most importantly a clear defined strategy (not just three words, I genuinely had a plan).

I chose a high risk/high reward strategy and played to win.

If you look at my teams in the FISO league, I have 3 in the top 10.

Not one of them have a Man U block.

In poker 90 percent of players are losers, with less than 1 percent of players being big winners, the same players win over and over again over the long run, the same players lose over the long run or get better, they're called fish.

Dead money.

I would argue if you don't have a plan at this stage, without wishing to cause offence, you are dead money.

Same as 99 percent of all DT players.

Me, I plan to win and I have a process and structure to deliver success, I may fail, my strategy is high risk, though, I am sure, it is potentially a winning strategy.

You know what they say.....

Aim for the stars....

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

United will coast the EL, whilst the CL will be hard fought with few clean sheets from the quarters onwards. If you don't have a United block then I wouldn't bother logging into your account again this season. IMHO, of course.

mesmerised
FISOhead
FS Record: I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 10k a day

Post by mesmerised »

You've changed your tune Mr 10 United blocks CBN :D

Last week you said you had written off your teams and now you're telling us not to bother logging in if we don't have one of what you've got.... :lol:

Amazing what a clean sheet can do for a mans confidence :lol:

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

I didn't say my ones! :lol:

I cannot believe how rubbish my ones are (minimum four problems in each) given I had ten shots at it. :evil:

CBN
Dumbledore

Post by CBN »

I would swap a few hens teeth for the leaders team. A team Lee's running (?) in 4th looks great too. Iksh in 10th looks a likely winner - seems to have eleven players plus five transfers.

CBN
Dumbledore

Post by CBN »

I'm sure the "still early days" brigade will be along too but I'm certain a United block will win it. I'll chuck in £20 to next season's Elite League if I'm wrong.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Solid

Post by gutshot »

CBN wrote:I'm sure the "still early days" brigade will be along too but I'm certain a United block will win it. I'll chuck in £20 to next season's Elite League if I'm wrong.
That's a high risk low reward strat :roll: :lol:

leethomas
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: mini cup winner, joint top overall Euro phase winner 15/16, runner up fiso weekly league 15/16 16/17 weekly winner 16/17 2k head to head winner 16/17 fiso iso league winner 16/17 lwdt hardly mr average winner 16/17

Post by leethomas »

CBN wrote:I would swap a few hens teeth for the leaders team. A team Lee's running (?) in 4th looks great too. Iksh in 10th looks a likely winner - seems to have eleven players plus five transfers.
my lads team..... and im sick of him taking the p*ss how sh*te i am and how good he is...... He hates united too :roll:

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

RickyRosa wrote:Ant your so wrong when you say it's all luck.

If you look at his record he's a DT winner, I came 3rd and 5th in two different Euro competitions within months of each other, this I can assure you wasn't just down to luck.

Months of research, late nights, dedication, a will to succeed and most importantly a clear defined strategy (not just three words, I genuinely had a plan).

In poker 90 percent of players are losers, with less than 1 percent of players being big winners, the same players win over and over again over the long run, the same players lose over the long run or get better, they're called fish.

Dead money.

I would argue if you don't have a plan at this stage, without wishing to cause offence, you are dead money.

Me, I plan to win and I have a process and structure to deliver success, I may fail, my strategy is high risk, though, I am sure, it is potentially a winning strategy.

Aim for the stars....
Two words come to mind. Patronising & conceited, Careful, you better duck, you might hit the stars with your head.

By the way, i never said, ALL luck.

Good luck with your clear defined strategy. Is it presently working for all your teams, if you've entered 10 ?

What is your clear defined strategy with "The Special One's" from here on in ??????

CBN
Dumbledore

Post by CBN »

leethomas wrote:
CBN wrote:I would swap a few hens teeth for the leaders team. A team Lee's running (?) in 4th looks great too. Iksh in 10th looks a likely winner - seems to have eleven players plus five transfers.
my lads team..... and im sick of him taking the p*ss how sh*te i am and how good he is...... He hates united too :roll:
Haha Leeds fan picking United players. Hanging offence! :P

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

Ant1 wrote:

Dead money.

Aim for the stars....
Two words come to mind. Patronising & conceited, Careful, you better duck, you might hit the stars with your head.

Good luck with your clear defined strategy. Is it presently working for all your teams, if you've entered 10 ?

What is your clear defined strategy with "The Special One's" from here on in ??????
Yes, it is working.

The Special ones are natural wastage.

And are part of the strategy
Ant1 wrote:
RickyRosa wrote:Disagree.

At this stage I think you should have a clear concise strategy if your to stand more than a punchers chance
...and just what is that ?? Clear concise strategy, is just three words with no meaning. How can you have a clear concise strategy, when no one knows who is going to go through, who is going to be drawn to play each other in future rounds ??
I wasn't being patronising (intentionally), simply disagreed with what you said and confirmed I do have a clear concise, defined strategy.

Also said that if you don't have a strategy your dead money, which I stand by.

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

Does that then mean my barca strat is still alive :D

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

RickyRosa wrote:
Ant1 wrote:

Dead money.

Aim for the stars....

Yes, it is working.

The Special ones are natural wastage.

And are part of the strategy
Ant1 wrote:
RickyRosa wrote:Disagree.

At this stage I think you should have a clear concise strategy if your to stand more than a punchers chance
...and just what is that ?? Clear concise strategy, is just three words with no meaning. How can you have a clear concise strategy, when no one knows who is going to go through, who is going to be drawn to play each other in future rounds ??
I wasn't being patronising (intentionally), simply disagreed with what you said and confirmed I do have a clear concise, defined strategy.

Also said that if you don't have a strategy your dead money, which I stand by.
"Natural wastage". That's a good one. I would hope that's tongue in cheek ? Are you by any chance a M.P. ??

I do have a strategy. It's to hopefully make 5 transfers that are going to score oodles of points and along the way, pick up more points from the players i decided to keep and hopefully a clean sheet, not necessarily two clean sheets, but one clean sheet is better than none at all. :wink:

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

ronny10 wrote:Does that then mean my barca strat is still alive :D
Well all i can say is if you haven't got Messi you need to put him in for phase 2. For those that don't want to miss out on at least 18pts.
Last edited by Ant1 on 27 Feb 2017, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

How did you know I was a M.P ?

On a serious note, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, just disagreed with the all luck ( point taken you didn't say it was all luck but thats what you alluded too).

just said that On the contrary, I think it's more skill than luck and that there is lots of dead money.

Though I concede It's one thing having a strategy, however, if you get it wrong, your also dead money, like I said, lots of dead money out there.

Just hope I haven't gone too soon and got it wrong....

Only time will tell, but you got to back yourself

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

RickyRosa wrote:How did you know I was a M.P ?

On a serious note, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, just disagreed with the all luck ( point taken you didn't say it was all luck but thats what you alluded too).

just said that On the contrary, I think it's more skill than luck and that there is lots of dead money.

Though I concede It's one thing having a strategy, however, if you get it wrong, your also dead money, like I said, lots of dead money out there.

Just hope I haven't gone too soon and got it wrong....

Only time will tell, but you got to back yourself
What i said was you can't win it without luck & that's the same for any fantasy football comp of course.

Nothing wrong with being confident, although a fantasy football record can go to one's head. :wink: There's no skill or rocket science required to choose a United block, for example.

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

ronny10 wrote:My strat is based around free stylers and is both genius and awesome with some strat variance in phases 2 and 3 leading onto phase 4 where I go from single free stylers to variance free STYLING resulting in the ultimate finishing strat
My strat has got 6 strings.

Zidane
FISOhead

Post by Zidane »

You need both knowledge and luck to do well in fantasy football.

If anyone thinks that there's no luck involved then your deluded.

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

Post by MrTomRipley »

"It's a skill game Jo".

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

Post by MrTomRipley »

Ricky.

I'm finding a lot of your comments very insightful and interesting. I also have to commend you for being more free and open with information than the rest of us have been recently.

I am far from a pro at this game. This is only really my second season taking it seriously.

I remember something you said a while ago, that you were finally starting to "get" the game. I think I've finally reached that point now (though far too late for this season).

Definitely looking forward to next season.

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

It's amazing really, I played for like 20 years, never won a thing.

But I was doing the same thing as everyone else, year in, year out.

But then I applied some of the lateral thinking I used when playing poker and started guessing what others would do and just like in poker started doing something different.

Played a numbers game and took risks, played to win and was prepared to lose.

I then got a bit of success and finishes like 130th 14/15 and like yourself had to wait until the following year to have another go.

Applied the same game theory and started to get results.

Will always openly share strategy on the forum as I think it makes us all better and actually increases my chances of winning.

Besides it's fun.

Just find a lot of people are hear for the banter as opposed to sharing info.

There's always going to be haters, haters gonna hate.

But Tigers don't care what sheep think.

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 5k weekly winner 2017
BIG BALLS WINNER PROBABLY

Post by Blademan »

RickyRosa wrote:It's amazing really, I played for like 20 years, never won a thing.

But then I applied some of the lateral thinking I used when playing poker and started guessing what others would do and just like in poker started doing something different.

I then got a bit of success and finishes like 130th 14/15 and like yourself had to wait until the following year to have another go.

Will always openly share strategy on the forum as I think it makes us all better and actually increases my chances of winning.

Besides it's fun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CBN
Dumbledore

Post by CBN »

The Closer and The Ripper in a blossoming bromance.

Anyone got a bucket I could throw up into?

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

Just jealous.

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

RickyRosa wrote:It's amazing really, I played for like 20 years, never won a thing.

Besides it's fun.

No disrespect, but what strategy have you actually shared with anyone ?? Unless i've missed something ??? Anyone would already think you've won the competition.

plevna1963
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: John Morrison Elite League 14/15 22nd 15/16 8th Europa League 15/16 8th Sundreamteam 2015/16 Weekly Winner Top 100 / Fiso Euro 2016 (Fra) 2nd. Xmas League (2) 2016/2017
John Morrison Elite League March Monthly Winner 2016/17

Post by plevna1963 »

Bookies favourite is Ricky,he wont be far away.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “European Dream Team”