To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP

Post by forestfan »

robot wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 22:30 Going to be a close call on rankings to decide the 4 seeds.
Northern ireland as it stands seed wise could be in the top 4? and play ROI.
Reports suggest Portugal/Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Denmark will be the seeded teams. That leaves the two Irish sides, Greece and (almost certainly) Sweden as their opponents.

No easy ties but I guess you’d probably want Denmark if you’re Irish.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

I’m pleased wales lost. I would have been happy for them to go through and well to be fair I’d like to see all the home nations there but after the Wales players cheering England losing last year then I can’t. So enjoy next summer boys. Serves them right.

https://youtu.be/SfIDJqrL0MQ

To be fair watching England there next year struggling to beat someone like Egypt/Iceland won’t be enjoyable.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

mad dog wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 06:05 To be fair watching England there next year struggling to beat someone like Egypt/Iceland won’t be enjoyable.

The problem with watching England is the palpable fear which seems to accompany them onto the pitch. I'm willing to accept that by comparison with the best teams, we're somewhat lacking and so I'd be happy if they simply played with a spring in their step. In this maybe unlikely scenario, it might be exciting and even enjoyable to see them struggling to beat someone like Egypt/Iceland.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I just don't think they enjoy the experience, they all seem to be much happier playing for their clubs. You can pick up on it in their body language and particularly in press conferences. You can see why they would be like that, because they know that they are not at the level to compete for the trophy, so before they even get on the plane they are on a hiding to nothing. Combine that with being away from home for a month, mediocre managers, restrictions to what they can do and the general old world mentality of the FA, it doesn't make for a brilliant atmosphere.

Look at the most recent successes:

1990 Robson was going so he did it his way and ignored the FA

1996 Venables was a maverick that the FA didn't like

2002 Sven was new and Japan is a long way from the domestic media circus

2004 Probably our best squad since 1966, looked like favourites until Rooney got crocked

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Looks like the fairytale of war torn Syria getting through has been ended by the villainous Tim Cahill in injury time...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

What's he, about 95 now? Don't the Aussies have any young talent?

Presumably they had Harry Kewell, Shane Warne, Kylie and Dame Edna on the bench ;)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

So, France and Portugal book their places. Switzerland dumped into the play-offs despite starting with 9 straight wins! :shock:

The Dutch predictably fail to beat Sweden by seven, but only miss out on goal difference in the end. Coming next, the South American final round, it could get Messi...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

The top four FIFA ranking teams for the play off, at this moment are, Switzerland (7), Italy (17), Croatia (18), Northern Ireland (20). The other four are Sweden (23), Denmark (26), Ireland (34), Greece (47).
A dream draw for me, would be the All Ireland. Any will do, it's hard to tell who's flying. The Swiss finished 2nd with 27 points :shock: It does bring in to question whether the Pots system failed this time.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 22:33 The top four FIFA ranking teams for the play off, at this moment are, Switzerland (7), Italy (17), Croatia (18), Northern Ireland (20). The other four are Sweden (23), Denmark (26), Ireland (34), Greece (47).
A dream draw for me, would be the All Ireland. Any will do, it's hard to tell who's flying. The Swiss finished 2nd with 27 points :shock: It does bring in to question whether the Pots system failed this time.
Denmark have already been confirmed as moving ahead of NI for the next ranking list, so the all-Irish tie isn’t a possibility.

Probably fitting that the second placed team in England’s group missed out, the lack of quality in that group was evident throughout. The rankings have their limitations, hence Portugal/Swiss, Spain/Italy and France/Sweden/Holland groups alongside some piss weak ones.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Projected pots if the favourites win their play offs etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

The seeds are correct but the other three can't be as FIFA split the different continents into their own pots - most if not all of the unneeded European teams will be in a single pot to make sure no group has more than two European teams. I don't fancy England against any of those pot 1s if that is how it stands!

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

They (ESPN) may have made a slight error there. Though they can split pot three into separate sub pots to prevent more than two euro teams per group. You see similar in the champs lge draws when teams from countries are kept apart and even teams from same cities put in opposite halves of the draw.

Russia (even with home advantage) and Poland I suppose would be the two England might fancy their chances against. The former might be best kept apart after the trouble in 2016.

SamD
FISO Knight

It's a draw

Post by SamD »

In Sept, FIFA announced a revamp of the 2018 World Cup draw. They will now seed all 32 teams based on the 16th October FIFA rankings (previously, the top seven ranked teams and the host were placed in pot 1, with the rest of the draw pots being grouped by geographic continents).

World Cup finals seedings:
Pot 1: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France
Pot 2: Spain, Peru*, Switzerland*, England, Colombia, Italy*, Mexico, Uruguay
Other qualifiers/potential qualifiers (in ranking order): Croatia*, Denmark*, Iceland, Costa Rica, Northern Ireland*, Sweden*, Republic of Ireland*, Tunisia*, Egypt, Senegal*, Iran, DR Congo*, Serbia, Nigeria, Australia*, Japan, Greece*, Morocco*, Panama, Burkina Faso*, Ivory Coast*, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Cape Verde Islands*, Honduras*, South Africa*, New Zealand*
* Possible qualifiers

The draw on Friday 1 December will apply geographic restrictions, as before, ie
each of the eight groups will hold no more than two European nations or more than one from any other continent.

European play-off draw seeds: Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Denmark
Non-seeds: Northern Ireland, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Greece
Draw tomorrow, Tues 17 Oct; two-legged ties will be played between 9 and 11 November and 12 and 14 of same month.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

At least we will avoid Spain!!

(PS Have you got it right re Russia and your text??)

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

forestfan wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 22:43
jimmy ching wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 22:33 The top four FIFA ranking teams for the play off, at this moment are, Switzerland (7), Italy (17), Croatia (18), Northern Ireland (20). The other four are Sweden (23), Denmark (26), Ireland (34), Greece (47).
Denmark have already been confirmed as moving ahead of NI for the next ranking list, so the all-Irish tie isn’t a possibility.
FIFA Men's Ranking 16 October 2017 http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... /uefa.html
Switzerland 11, Italy 15, Croatia 18, Denmark 19
Northern Ireland 23, Sweden 25 , Republic of Ireland 26, Greece 47
SamD wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:41 European play-off draw seeds: Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Denmark
Non-seeds: Northern Ireland, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Greece
Draw tomorrow, Tues 17 Oct; two-legged ties will be played between 9 and 11 November and 12 and 14 of same month.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=201 ... 15188.html

Northern Ireland (23) vs (11) Switzerland
               Croatia (18) vs (47) Greece
            Denmark (19) vs (26) Republic of Ireland
              Sweden (25) vs (15) Italy

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41653935
http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/41640266

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

forestfan wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 22:58
robot wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 22:30 Going to be a close call on rankings to decide the 4 seeds.
Northern ireland as it stands seed wise could be in the top 4? and play ROI.
Reports suggest Portugal/Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Denmark will be the seeded teams. That leaves the two Irish sides, Greece and (almost certainly) Sweden as their opponents.

No easy ties but I guess you’d probably want Denmark if you’re Irish.
:D I'm happy with that. In fact, I'll be very happy with that. After all, Denmark is the happiest place in the world, according to surveys. In order to retain that rank, they must make the Irish happy, with the amount of fans that appear. Two drinking cultures go head on..

PS Do you think they'll be able to field a team? I'm not too sure the Danish women footballers will be happy with that.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

-------------------------------Hart (c)----------------------------------
-------------Gomez-----------Jones-----------Cahill----------------
Young--------------------------------------------------------Bertrand
----------------------Lingard----------Delph------------------------
-----------------------------Loftus-Cheek---------------------------
----------------------Abraham------------Vardy---------------------

Sets the pulse racing for the upcoming international break :x

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Expect FIFA play off cheque to arrive in Belfast at a later date.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

It actually looks worse the night after, which is quite something!!!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I thought that the French paid the Republic.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I think we still have old favours for Platini and Blatter.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

It was owed to the Swiss as part of the deal to ensure Ronaldo was at the World Cup.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Infantino is Swiss-Italian... good luck Sweden :wink:

Ecuador will have to wait a few years for payback in terms of making sure Messi’s there!

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Would be a bit of disaster if Italy didn't make it, the only one they missed was 58 (and 1930).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Tacalabala wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 19:45 Would be a bit of disaster if Italy didn't make it, the only one they missed was 58 (and 1930).
They’ve ridden their luck with play-offs at least a couple of times in recent history. Always likely to be up against it in terms of winning a group containing Spain, but their ranking landed them with that draw, it’s a pretty ordinary generation of players that Conte seemed to get the best out of for a while but his successor maybe less so since.

Of course, when they’re written off and hit by scandal Italy tend to go and win the whole thing...

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Might not be the right thread but how come England are playing in blue seeing as they are the home team? Most confusing

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

morganb wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 20:20 Might not be the right thread but how come England are playing in blue seeing as they are the home team? Most confusing
To sell some away shirts... much as the rugby team tends to play in purple or charcoal grey at Twickenham this time of year!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 20:22
morganb wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 20:20 Might not be the right thread but how come England are playing in blue seeing as they are the home team? Most confusing
To sell some away shirts... much as the rugby team tends to play in purple or charcoal grey at Twickenham this time of year!
You mean when Xmas is approaching? How cynical :lol:

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

as the author (under a different name) of this post it is now 15 months since it commenced and MUCH HAS CHANGED ! How many of the Darbyand chart will be going to Russia ? We will soon know.
There will be a TFF World Cup game and I am confident that robot (or someone) will offer a FISO event to savour just before selections are made for the 2018-19 Prem & Championship season.
I am toying with the idea of a small cash reward for forecasting the England starting line-up for the first game. Following the friendly last night there are a good number of possibilities.
Enjoy the break.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Italy could miss out for the first time since 1958, down 1-0 to Sweden after the first leg.

It may be on a different thread somewhere but that refereeing decision against Norn Ireland was really scandalous. It gets worse every time I see it :evil:

PS went down the pub last night. Not one person was watching the England game ! 20 odd years ago you'd struggle to get in... :(

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”