To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

why helmet is necessery for road biking?

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
john89
Kevin and Perry

why helmet is necessery for road biking?

Post by john89 »

A few weeks ago, I read Elizabeth Rosenthal‘s article in the New York Times, ” To Encourage Biking, Cities Lose The Helmets.” I’ve always been a big proponent of wearing helmets while cycling, but Rosenthal’s article, which basically posited that helmet laws discourage people from riding bikes, completely changed my perception of biking and helmets. Intrigued, I set off to find out if bike helmets are really as necessary we think they are.

I’ve always wondered why I frequently see celebrities (like Lauren Conrad) and popular bloggers (like Joanna Goddard) riding without helmets. Was it because helmets are almost universally ugly? Was it just a one-time oversight? Regardless, it struck me as both dangerous and irresponsible. I mean, you only get one brain, so why take any chances with it, right? I’m not the only person who thinks that way—but among some cycling enthusiasts, the idea that helmets are necessary is about as popular as Lance Armstrong‘s doping charges. Over the past few weeks, I delved into the very controversial, very passionate, very heated world of the cycling helmet debates.What you are thinking about that ?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: why helmet is necessery for road biking?

Post by murf »

After having packed my mate off in an ambulance once and then found the cracks in his helmet you can guess what I think.

Admittedly we had been off road but roads are harder and lorries and bad drivers are more common....

If people won't cycle with a helmet because they look silly then go out without one then that is just a marvellous example of Darwin's theory.

Flipo
Kevin and Perry

Post by Flipo »

Contrary to popular belief. No amount of skill whether driving a car or riding a bike will make you immune to accidents, and people do unexpected things, like walk out right in front of you while on the phone. being on the safe side is always a good thing.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I don't drive and so either walk, use public transport or bike everywhere. I have heard arguments on both sides but personally prescribe to the possibly daft idea that I have never worn a helmet and therefore never will unless someone makes me.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Once you've seen the aftermath of a cyclist getting run over by a bus, you come to the conclusion a) cycling is risky in urban areas in the UK and b) if you really must, wear a helmet.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

If you're offroad, racing or on a track you'd be pretty stupid not to wear a helmet.

On the road, its a bit more subtle. Make helmet wearing compulsory and less people cycle, which is a bad thing, not only for general health / strain on the NHS etc but also because the more bikes are on the road, the more pressure there is for better infrastructure and better behaviour from drivers (and cyclists - do something stupid on a bike in the Netherlands and you have to deal with the disapproval of your peers, not just people in tin boxes). You're discouraging all the things that make cycling safer.

I wear a helmet nearly all of the time in the UK, in fact it feels a bit odd not wearing one but it shouldn't be compulsory. They help in some accidents, not in others. I cycled round the Netherlands last year for 4 days and didn't wear one, but then the infrastructure and attitudes towards bikes are in a different league to the UK.

Improve infrastructure, encourage helmet use, safe riding and driver education, but don't make helmets compulsory.

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

I always wear a helmet whether off road or on road. My brother was knocked off his bike in London and cracked his helmet on the curb - I wouldn't like to think what would have happened to his head without one.

As a previous poster mentioned, we don't have a sensible infrastructure to make it safe enough to even consider going without. I don't let my kid out without one, even if it's a leisurely jaunt on a dedicated cycle path. However, I don't think I'd make it compulsory as I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from cycling.

If people want to take the risk without a helmet then I currently think that's their choice.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Never worn one but I'd wear one if it was my day job.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Wear it all the time when I'm on a bike, even if just popping down to the local shop. It's just like wearing a seatbelt in a car.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

It is indeed down to choice but also how we assess the risk of what we do. Last year 100 cyclists died compared to 6000 pedestrians. Not saying that this is a reason not to wear a cycle helmet but it's also not an argument for everyone to wear a helmet.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

bluenosey wrote: 08 May 2018, 14:02 Wear it all the time when I'm on a bike.
What about when you're not on a bike?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

unc.si. wrote: 08 May 2018, 16:27
bluenosey wrote: 08 May 2018, 14:02 Wear it all the time when I'm on a bike.
What about when you're not on a bike?

That would be the safest option.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Spinynorman wrote: 08 May 2018, 08:52 I don't drive and so either walk, use public transport or bike everywhere. I have heard arguments on both sides but personally prescribe to the possibly daft idea that I have never worn a helmet and therefore never will unless someone makes me.
Had a friend who had that theory. He was killed about 3 months ago after being knocked off his bike by a car and a helmet would have saved his life. Needless to say his 2 children wish he had worn one.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Surprised wrote: 08 May 2018, 17:54
Spinynorman wrote: 08 May 2018, 08:52 I don't drive and so either walk, use public transport or bike everywhere. I have heard arguments on both sides but personally prescribe to the possibly daft idea that I have never worn a helmet and therefore never will unless someone makes me.
Had a friend who had that theory. He was killed about 3 months ago after being knocked off his bike by a car and a helmet would have saved his life. Needless to say his 2 children wish he had worn one.

Can't argue with that one. Very sad indeed.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”