To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2014-2015 Tote Jumps Ten to Follow

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Horse Racing games.

Takeshi Kovacs
Grumpy Old Man

2014-2015 Tote Jumps Ten to Follow

Post by Takeshi Kovacs »

Disgraceful that Baldfred does not see this competition to be enough of a money making machine, and that they have decided not to run the competition this year. The once superb competition has been dying a slow death ever since control was handed over.

Shame! :(

Striker
FISO Knight

Re: 2014-2015 Tote Jumps Ten to Follow

Post by Striker »

In the interest of accuracy, I would add that the popularity of TTTF had been falling for some time before Betfred took over the Tote. Although poor marketing was one factor in that decline. They could have developed sponsorship partners, other than the Racing Post.

Having said that I fully endorse your general sentiment. Although it was clearly a business decision it was probably that it was because it wasn't making Betfred any money, rather than that it was creating significant losses. Maybe their 30% take wasn't fully covering their expenses, but even if that was the case, it's possibly a dumb decision on their part, as marketed imaginatively it could have been a loss leader if not profitable in it's own right. TTTF could certainly be used as a vehicle for generating interest in National Hunt, (to which it is better suited than to the Flat), which Betfred could have utilised in other ways.

It's not as though there's no market for fantasy racing, Hills have typically had close to 150,000 entries for The Jumps in recent years. Again even if they have only covered costs, and surely they've covered their marginal costs with a take of around £290,000 and a prize fund of £150,000 plus mini monthly prizes, it can lead to increasing interest in Hills. It's the only way that they've got me personally into their shops in recent years.

Would be good if another bookie stepped into the breach, especially if say in association with a national newspaper, and other partners such as the RCA.

Even for Betfred imaginative use of TTTF could possibly increase interest in, say the Scoop 6, from which they have been making very tidy profits in recent years, where the additional income would more than justify the "bother" of TTTF. I don't see why they couldn't utilise the synergy that could exist between those two "products".

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

Sun King of the Punters was popular, as was their Formula One game. Strange that these disappeared as well.

Perhaps the Telegraph will use this as an opportunity to add a season game to their Royal Ascot and Cheltenham comps.

The Racing Post used TTF to attract readers - ATR and Racing UK were also enthusiastic about promoting the game - surely if these people got together they could come up with something.

Hopefully the Jumps will react to this news by anticipating a big rise in entries and upping their prize money and improving structure. It's never good to lose a game but hopefully something positive will come out of it.

If Free Eagle and Night of Thunder oblige at the weekend I might just be the last winner of the flat version .. hope springs .. I notice TK has a shout as well with the other eagle :wink:

Takeshi Kovacs
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Takeshi Kovacs »

Yes, a win for Cirrus Des Aigles could put us in the top 10 (have Leading Light too). That would nicely supplement winning the May monthly this year. Was very annoyed when the French (Bar) Stewards demoted CDA to 5th place after winning in France recently.

You have to hope they decide to let Free Eagle take his chance on the ground.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Horse Racing”