To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Electric usage

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Electric usage

Post by Tricky Tree »

4 bed house, detached. 4 living but all out during the day.

16 kWh use per day electric

Has central heating

2 showers, 2 tv's.

Seems high?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Electric usage

Post by Surprised »

If that includes heating and hot water it seems very very low

UPS
FISOhead
FS Record: 7th prize £400 daily star 12/13. Led sun world cup game after group stage then went french!!

Post by UPS »

Tricky Tree wrote:4 bed house, detached. 4 living but all out during the day.

16 kWh use per day electric

Has central heating

2 showers, 2 tv's.

Seems high?
Sounds about right compared to mine.same size house but wife at home in day.Our average around 20 kWH per day

sparx14
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 2nd sky sports 08-09, 1st sky sports dec13 monthly

Post by sparx14 »

Can recommend solar panels if your looking to get your bill down.

Had them in a year now and weve saved a small fortune. In reality they will only provide enough power to do one main appliance at a time... (so the trick is to not put your dishwasher, microwave, washing machine etc all on at the same time).

Since having them in my standing charge exceeds my usage!

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Our electric in a 3 bed semi is 9kwh per day, the heating and water on gas and is 56kwh.

She's starting to try and turn the heating on now :evil:

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Surprised wrote:If that includes heating and hot water it seems very very low
Gas central heating

Heating turned on today for first time. Just seemed high when a site said 1kwh for TV, radio and computer on all day, similar if 1 washing cycle and 1 dishwasher per day. Probably one for lights and one for shower also.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Tricky Tree wrote:
Gas central heating

Heating turned on today for first time. Just seemed high when a site said 1kwh for TV, radio and computer on all day, similar if 1 washing cycle and 1 dishwasher per day. Probably one for lights and one for shower also.
I use around 5-6Kwh per day for a one bed flat.
Lights don't use much and main usage would be washing machines, dryers, fridges etc.
Even if I'm away for a few days I use about 2.5 due to fridge and freezer

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Surprised wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:
Gas central heating

Lights don't use much and main usage would be washing machines, dryers, fridges etc.
How old are your fridge and freezer!
They should not use anywhere near that.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Backlash wrote:
Surprised wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:
Gas central heating

How old are your fridge and freezer!
They should not use anywhere near that.

About 17 years old

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

AA+ models would cut that down by half, it would take years to claw the money back though.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

They both work fine so no point in getting new ones just to save a small amount. All my white goods are the same age and all work perfectly

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

23 kwh per day Gas central heating

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

This thread's reminded me that we've got a 'smart meter' so I've just got it out of the garage and plugged it in.

Running at 1.62Kw at the moment, with 2 laptops and 1 tv on, 2 pcs on standby, plus 2 fridges, 3 freezers and just about every light in the house on.

I'm guessing that'll go up a lot when we're cooking (electric oven and induction hob). Gas CH but have electric underfloor heating in the kitchen and en-suite, which probably pushes usage up in the winter, even if they're only on low to take the chill off the tiles.

Ooh - 1.7kw now. Someone must have turned another light on somewhere :lol:

Be quite interesting to see what the daily usage is. Probably quite depressing though as well :D

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

Knulpuk wrote:23 kwh per day Gas central heating

snap

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Just checked my year end bills from 2006 at it seems I use 8-9KWH a day

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Surprised wrote:Just checked my year end bills from 2006 at it seems I use 8-9KWH a day
That was 8 years ago grandad. Gramophones used loads of lecky :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

sted wrote:
Surprised wrote:Just checked my year end bills from 2006 at it seems I use 8-9KWH a day
That was 8 years ago grandad. Gramophones used loads of lecky :lol:

There is nothing wrong with gramophones even though there aren't many records I can play on it. Itunes won't sell me any for it.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

In a remarkable bit of timing, all our electricity usage worries are now solved - I recieved this in the inbox this morning.

Your friend [ MIRACULOUS INVENTION - Slash Your Electric Bill By 100% ] has recommended this great product from Empress Essentials

Your friend, [ MIRACULOUS INVENTION - Slash Your Electric Bill By 100% ], thought that you would be interested in Namaste from Empress Essentials.

[ MIRACULOUS INVENTION - Slash Your Electric Bill By 100% ] sent a note
saying:

================================================================
=
= MIRACULOUS INVENTION - SLASH YOUR ELECTRIC BILL BY 100% = ================================================================

Here is a powerful secret invention that could produce endless zero cost energy for thousand of hours. Run any kind of household appliances, an entire house or even an airplane without refueling.

(linky bit removed)

If the above link is not clickable kindly copy-and-paste it to your browser.

Best regards,

Keith

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Blimey just realised I was on standard tariffs - a switch will save between £600-£700 p.a. :oops:

Anyone any experience of Ovo as a supplier?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Knulpuk wrote:Blimey just realised I was on standard tariffs - a switch will save between £600-£700 p.a. :oops:

Anyone any experience of Ovo as a supplier?
Go through Martin Lewis's money site and they tell you if any supplier has a bad track record.

I avoided smaller suppliers just to be safe as the savings weren't that great over the best 'big name' deals but they do keep e-mailing me even more tempting ones......

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Cheap deals are never cheap deals. You may pay less now but will pay more in the future

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Surprised wrote:Cheap deals are never cheap deals. You may pay less now but will pay more in the future
Apart from when they are locked in for X years as most are these days....

(Just switch before they run out - watch for having to pay to exit)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

murf wrote:
Surprised wrote:Cheap deals are never cheap deals. You may pay less now but will pay more in the future

The pay to exit is the small print. Often you need to be with them for a few years (which exceeds the cheap deal years) before you can exit cost free

dreamrecruitment
Red & Blue Braces

Post by dreamrecruitment »

I'm on Edf blue price promise which seems good. I have been with First Utility in the past also who were excellent. I think as long as you avoid British Gas you're fine.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Surprised wrote:
murf wrote:

The pay to exit is the small print. Often you need to be with them for a few years (which exceeds the cheap deal years) before you can exit cost free
Mine is free exit from day 1 - all set out very clearly if you go via Martin Lewis's site (UK only??).

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

murf wrote:
Surprised wrote:
murf wrote:

Mine is free exit from day 1 - all set out very clearly if you go via Martin Lewis's site (UK only??).

yes, the EDF is free, I've been looking at the deals in the last week as I recieved the alert that I'd hit the savings trigger, most of them seem to have exit fees now - but they are listed front and center on the comparison.

Switching or not just seems the case of guessing whether the prices in 6 months time will be higher or lower than they are now seeing as your given savings are for 1 year of the new fixed v 6 months of your current fixed + 6 months of standard tariff. My comparison was £13pm cheaper over the year, but its obviously not that just comparing the two over the next 6 months.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

unc.si. wrote:This thread's reminded me that we've got a 'smart meter' so I've just got it out of the garage and plugged it in.

Running at 1.62Kw at the moment, with 2 laptops and 1 tv on, 2 pcs on standby, plus 2 fridges, 3 freezers and just about every light in the house on.

I'm guessing that'll go up a lot when we're cooking (electric oven and induction hob). Gas CH but have electric underfloor heating in the kitchen and en-suite, which probably pushes usage up in the winter, even if they're only on low to take the chill off the tiles.

Be quite interesting to see what the daily usage is. Probably quite depressing though as well :D
its because you plugged the smart meter in :wink:

To the question above we have OVO and have had no probs at all, pretty sure there is an early exit fee of £30 for each utility but thats it

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Bunners wrote:
unc.si. wrote:This thread's reminded me that we've got a 'smart meter' so I've just got it out of the garage and plugged it in.

its because you plugged the smart meter in :wink:

To the question above we have OVO and have had no probs at all, pretty sure there is an early exit fee of £30 for each utility but thats it
Most deals seem to be 12m and exit fees are minimal or nil. Going to give Ovo a go - they had the head honcho on BBC business the other day - seemed a nice chap!

Here is hoping that switching is pain free.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

I quite like the monthly statements that you get as you can monitor usage etc and switching was as easy as when we switched from Scottish Power to EDF

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Surprised wrote:
Surprised - who supplies your electricity? We've got Nuon but I want to try and shop about - but have no idea where to start. Is there an equivalent of uswitch in Amsterdam/NL?

Also, stupid question for everyone else - how do you all know what your usage is? Is this via online/app or are you taking meter readings every day (especially if you know how much your usage is when you're away on vacation?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”