To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Food Contamination

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Food Contamination

Post by Henry Chinaski »

I know that you are not supposed to let cooked meats come into contact with uncooked meats but how does it stand if it is the same product?

Let me explain.

Last night I defrosted two sausages and then put them on a plate and cut them in half.

I then cooked them and without thinking placed them on the plate I had originally cut the raw, defrosted sausage. Is this classed as contamination?

I threw them away as soon as I realised but wasn't 100% sure if this could have led to contamination?

Firstly the sausages were bought frozen so would they have bad bacteria in the seconds after being microwave defrosted?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Food Contamination

Post by Surprised »

Raw meat contains bacteria that is killed by cooking so there could be cross contamination. I have cut up raw chicken on a plate and then used the same plate to eat the cooked chicken from with no ill effects. A quick wipe with a paper towel after cutting up the chicken seems to be enough. The real risk is storing them uncovered with the raw meat sitting above the cooked and potentially dripping onto the cooked meat below.

edit" Just realised you said you defrosted them and then used the same plate so risk of contamination would be high as the plate would have water from the raw meat on it. Not sure it would contaminate the cooked meat as there would be no time but unless you wiped the plate before putting the cooked meat on then there is a risk of illness.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

I wouldn't worry about it too much flip, what you get up to behind Chorlton bus station at night is far more dangerous to your health ...

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Yes....it's contamination and you'll probably die. :wink:

You can get away with it as Surprised did, but it's like eating raw sausages / chicken....Russian Roulette mate.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Who is Flip?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

It's just a term of endearment. Like defaid in Wales. Giggs and Violin meet up all time time down Canal Street.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Surprised wrote: A quick wipe with a paper towel after cutting up the chicken seems to be enough.
The whole antibacterial industry destroyed in one fell swoop. If only the NHS knew about this. Could save themselves a fortune.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

unc.si. wrote:It's just a term of endearment. Like defaid in Wales. Giggs and Violin meet up all time time down Canal Street.
:lol:

Giggs shags who he wants ...

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

If it moves, shag it. If it doesn't, shag it till it does...

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

unc.si. wrote:
Surprised wrote: A quick wipe with a paper towel after cutting up the chicken seems to be enough.
The whole antibacterial industry destroyed in one fell swoop. If only the NHS knew about this. Could save themselves a fortune.

Not suggesting a surgeon goes to do open heart surgery after eating a chicken kebab and just wipe his hands quickly with a paper towel. But maybe many get sick nowadays because we kill off germs before people get used to them so when they are exposed to them it makes them sick. I was a student once and we pretty much lived on germs. We had a toastie machine that probably got washed once a year yet students now probably wash them every week!!

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

Surprised wrote: Not suggesting a surgeon goes to do open heart surgery after eating a chicken kebab and just wipe his hands quickly with a paper towel. But maybe many get sick nowadays because we kill off germs before people get used to them so when they are exposed to them it makes them sick. I was a student once and we pretty much lived on germs. We had a toastie machine that probably got washed once a year yet students now probably wash them every week!!
As a student you're a fit and strong human being. Follow the same practices and you'll kill your granny and kids. Simples. :D

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

Dennisthemenace wrote:
Surprised wrote: Not suggesting a surgeon goes to do open heart surgery after eating a chicken kebab and just wipe his hands quickly with a paper towel. But maybe many get sick nowadays because we kill off germs before people get used to them so when they are exposed to them it makes them sick. I was a student once and we pretty much lived on germs. We had a toastie machine that probably got washed once a year yet students now probably wash them every week!!
As a student you're a fit and strong human being. Follow the same practices and you'll kill your granny and kids. Simples. :D

No such luck for his granny and kids.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Giggs11 wrote:
Dennisthemenace wrote:

No such luck for his granny and kids.
Grannys mistake was falling from the roof after we dragged her up there.
Kids are fairly reslient and even bounce

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Surprised wrote:
We had a toastie machine that probably got washed once a year yet students now probably wash them every week!!
You could put shoite in a toastie machine (I often do). The inside gets hotter than the surface of the sun (fact) so will kill anything.

Likewise, I don't wash my barbeque. I just light it and burn off last weeks grease.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

sted wrote:
Surprised wrote:
We had a toastie machine that probably got washed once a year yet students now probably wash them every week!!
You could put shoite in a toastie machine (I often do). The inside gets hotter than the surface of the sun (fact) so will kill anything.

Likewise, I don't wash my barbeque. I just light it and burn off last weeks grease.
I have never heard of anyone dying from eating toast either sted, so all the FISO toast eaters can sigh a breath of relief, unfortunately I cannot offer any reassurance to the FISO sausage eaters, my food hygiene knowledge is limited.

Five long bones
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Five long bones »

On a par with your Football knowledge then plinky.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

Five long bones wrote:On a par with your Football knowledge then plinky.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Achiles74 wrote:
I have never heard of anyone dying from eating toast

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

It is rather amusing that the 3 posters above me all inhabit another forum :lol:

Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Achiles74 wrote:It is rather amusing that the 3 posters above me all inhabit another forum :lol:
What a strange observation Welsh_Wizard, that is the name you use elsewhere that has 330 posts is it not?

I actually post on about half a dozen forums. I didn't know posting on another would be something to write about.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Violin wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:It is rather amusing that the 3 posters above me all inhabit another forum :lol:
What a strange observation Welsh_Wizard, that is the name you use elsewhere that has 330 posts is it not?

I actually post on about half a dozen forums. I didn't know posting on another would be something to write about.
Little things amuse little minds

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

Don't remind him ffs. :lol:
Though tbf, he was ridiculed and run out of town after his last appearance there when banned from here.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Just making a observation, indeed Welsh Wizard is an alias of mine, as are RockGod, RagaRock, AcesN8s and Triumph74 on other forums :wink:

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

Yes it is/was cross contamination. Safest thing to do was throw them out (if in doubt, chuck it out -useful life lesson, works for girlfriends and troublesome posters on forums too).

Chances are you would've been fine if you had eaten the sausages straight away. If you had left them for an hour or two (even in the fridge) it could've been problematic.

The bacteria generally multiplies every 20 minutes, so it doesn't take long for 50 bacteria to become hundreds of thousands.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

So if you're cooking a curry you can chop everything at the same time with the same knife on the same chopping board as long as you cook everything thoroughly and don't take more than 20 minutes to peel an onion (also safest if you use a toaster).

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

WilBert wrote:So if you're cooking a curry you can chop everything at the same time with the same knife on the same chopping board as long as you cook everything thoroughly and don't take more than 20 minutes to peel an onion (also safest if you use a toaster).
Pretty much, yes. Best practice would be to use different boards and different knives for raw meat, cooked meat, vegetables, dairy and salad. But in a domestic kitchen that is not really practical.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

sted wrote:
Surprised wrote:

I have seen a movie about a journey to the centre of the sun where Bruce Willis (I think) threw a nuclear bomb into the sun because his Sunday papers were delivered late and I have seen a film about a journey to the center of the Earth where it is also quite warm. It all worked out fine. However, I have never seen a movie about a journey to the centre of a toasted sandwich because nothing can survive that. Except cheese.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

This has been a very interesting read for me. I have worked in restaurants for 17 years, from entry level all the way up to multi-unit corporate management. I was just talking to my wife about how food safety that seems cooking knowledge to me is actually not so common. Frankly should be taught in our school systems here and surely would be beneficial for all of you in the UK also. Because of our quick to sue society and overbearing government I would assume our regulations are amongst the most strict in the world but it's still good to know these things.

A few guidelines (just basics to know): Food born bacteria thrives at temperaturs between 40 and 165 Fahrenheit( I think that's 5-75ish Celsius, but google it). You should never keep food in that range for more than 4 hours total. Wiping with a paper towel will do nothing to remove bacteria, I advise against it. A 50ppm bleach solution is sufficient to sanatize a surface. It's a good idea to get different cutting boards for vegetables and raw meats and not at all that hard to accomplish. I personally have 4 cutting boards, they don't take much space and it's worth the safety.

If you have never had a good case of food poisoning trust me when I say you don't want to know how terrible it is.

Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Post by Henry Chinaski »

ctibbits wrote:
If you have never had a good case of food poisoning trust me when I say you don't want to know how terrible it is.
I can remember being on some course and we were all asked who has had food poisoning? about 3 or 4 people raised their arms. He said well actually you have all had it.

I know you say a good case of it, but I assume we have all had mild cases when we have eaten something that is slightly off. Isn't the shits the body's reaction to poisoning?

Five long bones
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Five long bones »

There are many causes, most are just tummy bugs, get E-coli, Botulism or Salmonella for a real festival of body fluid expulsion.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”