To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Players whose transfer value has fallen during the WC

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Players whose transfer value has fallen during the WC

Post by stevejtr »

Lots about those that have emerged. None about those who have failed to perform.

I'll start with

Lukaku
Hulk
Luiz :P

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Re: Players whose transfer value has fallen during the WC

Post by thebillfella »

Gonna take a bite at Suarez...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Why was the "flops of the tournament" thread pulled, anyway? :?

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Definitely pretty much everyone for Brazil except Silva and Neymar (maybe Oscar who was fine). Hazard and Lukaku for certain as well. Iker Casillas was terrible. The rest of the old Spanish guard has problems as well Xabi Alonso, Pique, Busquets, etc.). Rooney didn't do himself any favors.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

thebillfella wrote:Gonna take a bite at Suarez...

I thought he had just gone to Barcelona for 75 million?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Worth far more than his release clause according to you know who.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

thebillfella wrote:Worth far more than his release clause according to you know who.

His release clause was around 75m GBP.
The Independent says this was the transfer fee but Spanish press say the transfer fee was 64m GBP.
His fee was never really going to exceed his release clause

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

stevejtr wrote: Lukaku

Whilst he failed to deliver at the world cup, I don't see why his two starts at the tournament would undermine what he did in the last two seasons at West Brom and Everton.

His value won't have gone up, but I don't see why it would drop. If you'd scouted Lukaku over the last two season, there's no way you'd let two world cup games sway your opinion either way.

Fudge Brownie
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Fudge Brownie »

Lallana? :D

Didn't play ahead of Welbeck

Welbeck isn't worth 26m

Therefore neither is Lallana :D

More like 15m imo

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

SuperGrover wrote:Definitely pretty much everyone for Brazil except Silva and Neymar (maybe Oscar who was fine). Hazard and Lukaku for certain as well. Iker Casillas was terrible. The rest of the old Spanish guard has problems as well Xabi Alonso, Pique, Busquets, etc.). Rooney didn't do himself any favors.
Didn't do himself any harm either :? .

You see, that's just another example of confirmation bias IMO - of all the players who almost certainly dropped in value due to poor showings can you honestly say that Rooney was one who stood out? He certainly won't have accrued any value (he won't any more due to his age) given England's showing in general, but I cannot see how he can be considered to be one of those whose value dropped due to having a poor tournament - he was one of the better players in a poor performing side.

I don't think any Chelsea players, other than Courtois and Schurrle, had a decent tournament (including Oscar although he was less disappointing than Willian, Ramires & Hazard). I bet PSG wish they had waited until now before bidding the amount they did for Luiz :shock:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

I'd argue no player will fall in value as just by being at the World Cup increases their marketability. Even Suarez has not lost any marketability. There is nothing a player can do that reduces his transfer value. We have seen druggies and rapists rewarded by clubs for their crimes.

lurker
Red & Blue Braces

Post by lurker »

even players who mow down little kids!

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Higuain has been a bit shit overall. That final appearance summed him up. Went for big money last summer, would think he'd be worth a fair bit less now.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

moonlightdribbler wrote:
stevejtr wrote: Lukaku

Whilst he failed to deliver at the world cup, I don't see why his two starts at the tournament would undermine what he did in the last two seasons at West Brom and Everton.

His value won't have gone up, but I don't see why it would drop. If you'd scouted Lukaku over the last two season, there's no way you'd let two world cup games sway your opinion either way.
It drops because he was poor - only started a couple when he should have been nailed on for every game. When he was on the pitch he did little. Given his alleged desire to go, he hardly enhanced his reputation.

Personally I hope he stays with us and learns from Costa

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

stevejtr wrote: It drops because he was poor - only started a couple when he should have been nailed on for every game. When he was on the pitch he did little. Given his alleged desire to go, he hardly enhanced his reputation.

Personally I hope he stays with us and learns from Costa

I gathered that was your arguement from your original post, but my point still stands. Two games isn't gonna make a difference.

Interesting that you want him to stay and learn from Costa, but you actually forgot to use him a an example in your 1st post. Now there is a player who bombed!

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

I never mentioned Costa (nor Ronaldo, though his tfr value would be unaffected by his poor performance) since both were clearly carrying injuries into the tournament.

My point is that this should have been a gilt edged opportunity for Lukaku to shine - fronting up a talented team who were fancied to do well. In every game he played he was poor; so poor he only started twice

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

stevejtr wrote: My point is that this should have been a gilt edged opportunity for Lukaku to shine - fronting up a talented team who were fancied to do well. In every game he played he was poor; so poor he only started twice

Your last sentence is a strange one.

He helped change the game against USA when he came on and scored.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

Balotelli had one awful game where he didn't try. I would think a few prospective buyers lost interest directly after that.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

moonlightdribbler wrote:
stevejtr wrote: My point is that this should have been a gilt edged opportunity for Lukaku to shine - fronting up a talented team who were fancied to do well. In every game he played he was poor; so poor he only started twice

Your last sentence is a strange one.

He helped change the game against USA when he came on and scored.
Possibly the key thing is that he's found out that he's not as good as he thinks he is, he's not CL level, he's not EPL top 6 level. If he realises that he's still got a lot to learn then staying at Chelsea will be good for him. He's not worth the £17m we paid for him, yet.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Vid wrote:
Possibly the key thing is that he's found out that he's not as good as he thinks he is, he's not CL level, he's not EPL top 6 level. If he realises that he's still got a lot to learn then staying at Chelsea will be good for him. He's not worth the £17m we paid for him, yet.

So you're saying he's not good enough for Everton? :shock: I'll take that as a compliment to us!

You may not think he's worth £17m (I'd pass on anything over £15m as an Evertonian), but I think if he moves on in the summer, you'll find yourselves making a profit.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

You see, that's just another example of confirmation bias IMO - of all the players who almost certainly dropped in value due to poor showings can you honestly say that Rooney was one who stood out? He certainly won't have accrued any value (he won't any more due to his age) given England's showing in general, but I cannot see how he can be considered to be one of those whose value dropped due to having a poor tournament - he was one of the better players in a poor performing side.
Nah, Rooney was pretty awful IMO. Looked slow and was unable to play within what should have been the ideal system. Rooney is an impediment to the way England should be playing IMO.

Opinions may differ of course, but I feel he didn't show himself near the value that transfermkt estimates (which is what I use).

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Thought Kompany was poor as well. Looked mediocre at best, anything but the most valuable defender in the EPL.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

brazil defence as whole was bad . but luiz has still won CL and Europa with Chelsea. Luiz cant be that bad just because of world cup. which got to semi final

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

I thought Costa was just about Spain's only real threat in the two games that meant anything.

Still a big risk for Chelsea as he's only had one really decent season.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”