To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Charles Bukowski

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Charles Bukowski

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Any fans on here?

Just read Post Office again after 20 years and realise more than ever what an exceptional novel it is.

Bukowski was an alcoholic with little education who worked for the Post Office, all his novels are autobiographical relating to his exploits with the drink, women, and gambling.

Sartre described him as the best poet in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmWZOsVtqR0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSo9_iVc9Cs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maldini
Dumbledore

Re: Charles Bukowski

Post by Maldini »

I'm a massive fan and have just re-read Factotum which is my personal favourite though Post Office, Ham on Rye and Women aren't far behind.

The man was a genius.

Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Bron Yr Aur wrote:I'm a massive fan and have just re-read Factotum which is my personal favourite though Post Office, Ham on Rye and Women aren't far behind.

The man was a genius.
I just watched Barfly, and then Factotum. Barfly is the better movie and portrays Bukowski with a gritty realism. Matt Dillon didn't do it for me in Factotum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ScGfNIUaz8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Tom Waits reading The Laughing Heart.
One of my favourite clips on YouTube.

Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Post by Henry Chinaski »

So much great stuff

ramzi.sen
Cheetah

Post by ramzi.sen »

Henry Chinaski wrote: 01 Apr 2014, 23:16 Any fans on here?

Just read Post Office again after 20 years and realise more than ever what an exceptional novel it is.

Bukowski was an alcoholic with little education who worked for the Post Office, all his novels are autobiographical relating to his exploits with the drink, women, and gambling.

Sartre described him as the best poet in America.

The man was a genius,I'm a big fan and have just re-read Factotum which is my personal favourite though Post Office, Ham on Rye and Women aren't far behind.

philcollin

Post by philcollin »

ramzi.sen wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 23:17 The man was a genius,I'm a big fan and have just re-read Factotum which is my personal favourite though Post Office, Ham on Rye and Women aren't far behind.
I just watched Barfly, and then Factotum. Barfly is the better movie and portrays Bukowski with a gritty realism. Matt Dillon didn't do it for me in Factotum

htking1

Post by htking1 »

I'm a huge admirer; in fact, I recently reread Factotum, which is my favourite of his works. Other favourites of mine are Post Office, Ham on Rye, and Women... A genius, the guy was.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

htking1 wrote:I'm a huge admirer; in fact, I recently reread Factotum, which is my favourite of his works. Other favourites of mine are Post Office, Ham on Rye, and Women... A genius, the guy was.
sen thought much the same.....

mikegold

Post by mikegold »

philcollin wrote: 21 May 2022, 09:15
ramzi.sen wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 23:17 The man was a genius,I'm a big fan and have just re-read Factotum which is my personal favourite though Post Office, Ham on Rye and Women aren't far behind.
I think Matt Dillon didn't do it for me in Factotum :roll:
Last edited by mikegold on 13 Sep 2022, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

mikegold wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 17:43
philcollin wrote: 21 May 2022, 09:15
I think Matt Dillon didn't do it for me in Factotum :roll:
Where is your Factotum?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”