To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Going Underground - FISO's first UFPL sidegame

Ultimate Fantasy Premier League - starting 2014/15
Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Going Underground - FISO's first UFPL sidegame

Post by Tacalabala »

They always say the very best adventures are embarked on at the spur of the moment... this is probably one of those. Probably.

The aim of this sidegame is to visit as many of the stations of the London Underground as possible, what could be simpler? So, it’s time to grab your Oyster Card and get to Liverpool Street!

The rules are as follows:
  • Starting on Gameweek 1 of Ultimate Fantasy Premier League, all participants begin their journey at Liverpool Street.
  • For each 10 points scored in a Gameweek, a participant will travel a station. Scores will be rounded down to the closet increment of 10, so for example if you score 68pts, you will travel 6 stations.
  • Only the Gameweek score will be counted, no deductions are to be taken into account.
  • If you reach the end of the line, you will have to stay on the train going the other way for the rest of that Gameweek. The end station will only count as one increment. For example, if I’m at Debden going northbound on the Central line and I score 62pts for that GW, I will reach Epping at the end of the line and remain on the train to finish that GW at Buckhurst Hill.
  • Revisits to stations will not count towards your count of total stations visited.
  • As a participant of this sidegame, you have two responsibilities; 1) To post on this thread, between the end of one GW and the start of the next, a summary of your journey last GW and your plans for the next GW (detailed below), and 2) maintain a log of your journey so far.
  • Your summary in between GWs should follow the provided template (see post #2). Should you fail to provide a summary, it will be assumed that you have alighted after the last week and will not be travelling further in the coming GW. You can continue your journey by posting a plan for the next GW.
  • Important – When planning your onward journey, you must adhere to some restrictions:
    1) You can only change lines at the start of your journey, for example I can only change to the Piccadilly line at Holborn if I am at Holborn at the start of a GW.
    2) You must state which direction of travel you wish to go, including “(via XXX)” for clarity.
    3) Where there are branches or junctions ahead on the line, you must state clearly which route you wish to take, for example the Newbury Park branch of the Central Line. This also applies when there is the possibility of reaching the end of the line and 'bouncing back' offers the opportunity to cover a different branch of the line. If you do not state branches/junctions, it will be assumed that you are following the main line, and that you will follow the route that you travelled previously on 'bouncing back'. They must also be permissible routes which can be travelled on a single journey on real life. To check, please use the TFL journey planner - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Bouncing back is treated as a new journey for this purpose only.
    4) With regard to the Emirates Air Line, for the purposes of this game, EAL shall be treated as a branch of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), and the walking interchanges with North Greenwich and Royal Victoria will form part of that branch, effectively meaning that North Greenwich is the end of this line.
    5) Out of Station Interchanges (OSIs), such as between Clapham North and Clapham High Street, can be made between Gameweeks and the new Start Station will count as a new station visit (if not already visited). Such a change must be made clear in the plan for the next Gameweek. Only OSIs which are graphically represented on the official LU map are permitted.
  • While it is held on trust that you have followed the rules correctly, I will of course monitor journeys and will penalise errors with deductions of stations visited where appropriate. If you spot an error made by someone else, it is at your discretion to report them, but it is encouraged.
  • The map of the London Underground found on post #2 will be considered the authoritative map for this game. This map was available on the webpage - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do ... be-map.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, on 27/03/2014. Docklands Light Railway (DLR), Overground and Emirates Air Line services can be travelled in the game.
  • A leader board will be posted by me at the conclusion of each GW.
Entry to this sidegame is by invitation, and it is not at this moment envisaged that any more invitations will be made. However, if you are particularly interested in joining, please PM me. Please understand that I have invited people on the basis that they have been very active in terms of both posting in the UFPL sub-forum and more generally are quite active posters.

Participants - url
Brightwater - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/1963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bspittles - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Calvin1979 - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/2823" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colbert - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#en ... tory/14091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fred1266 - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/4220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Multiple Scorgasms - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/2441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stemania - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/2706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tacalabala - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/1358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Catman - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Topcat24 - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/1435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vid - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/4546" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WHATEVER - http://ultimate.premierleague.com/a/#entry/history/5853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Tacalabala on 28 Mar 2014, 13:33, edited 17 times in total.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Summary Template and Map

Post by Tacalabala »

Summary Template (copy and paste):

Summary for GW##
Start Station:
Line:
Direction of Travel: (via)
Points Scored
End Station:
New stations visited this GW (state number then list):
Stations visited in total so far:

Plan for GW##
Start Station:
Line:
Direction of Travel: (via)
Branches or junctions:

Map:
standard-tube-map.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tacalabala on 19 Feb 2014, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Re: Going Underground - FISO's first UFPL sidegame

Post by Tacalabala »

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Plan for GW01
Start Station: Liverpool Street
Line: Circle
Direction of Travel: Southbound (via Aldgate)
Branches or junctions: N/A

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Post by The Catman »

Surely the object should be to reach Mornington Crescent...

Same plan for GW1 for me too:

Plan for GW01
Line: Circle
Direction of Travel: Clockwise (via Aldgate)

Thanks
TC

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Are we restricted to Underground lines, or any that appear on the map? e.g. DLR, London Overground.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

I'm definitely not a UFPL player, but just looking in and have to say this is a cracking creative idea. Love it.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Mystery wrote:
I'm definitely not a UFPL player, but just looking in and have to say this is a cracking creative idea. Love it.
Just what I was thinking. Some of the effort and ideas on here always amazes me. :D

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bspittles wrote:Are we restricted to Underground lines, or any that appear on the map? e.g. DLR, London Overground.
Any that appear on the map.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

No messing for me, I'm off to Wem-ber-ley!

Plan for GW01
Line: Metropolitan
Direction of Travel: North (via Moorgate)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

bspittles wrote:No messing for me, I'm off to Wem-ber-ley!

Plan for GW01
Line: Metropolitan
Direction of Travel: North (via Moorgate)
Just noticed I have a branch! Should I get a mahoosive score, I will be heading on the Uxbridge line (picking up a dictionary on the way)...

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Another question... heading clockwise on the circle line, if a traveller reaches Edgware Road with turns to spare, do they bounce back, or continue on to Baker Street?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

You'll certainly attract the attentions of the ticket inspectors if you manage to get that far!!!

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Tacalabala wrote:You'll certainly attract the attentions of the ticket inspectors if you manage to get that far!!!
200 points? With my squad? Easy :lol:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bspittles wrote:Another question... heading clockwise on the circle line, if a traveller reaches Edgware Road with turns to spare, do they bounce back, or continue on to Baker Street?
Bounce back, as it's the end of the line - I've checked, and you can't go from Bayswater to Baker Street without a change: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/X ... Distance=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Great stuff Taca, looking forward to this. Some possible inclusions to entice journeys outside of zones 1 & 2 (the comfort zones):

- Bonus points for taking the Emirates Air Line (if DLR is allowed)
- Landing on a Heathrow station allows for a free flight to London City (again, if DLR is allowed)
- Landing on or passing through pre-defined football related stations (Wembley, Arsenal, Tottenham Court Road, Tottenham Hale, etc) to carry extra weight

This game has so much potential!

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Tacalabala wrote:
bspittles wrote:Another question... heading clockwise on the circle line, if a traveller reaches Edgware Road with turns to spare, do they bounce back, or continue on to Baker Street?
Bounce back, as it's the end of the line - I've checked, and you can't go from Bayswater to Baker Street without a change: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/X ... Distance=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Strictly speaking, you can. But only by travelling anti-clockwise :-D

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Calvin1979 wrote:Great stuff Taca, looking forward to this. Some possible inclusions to entice journeys outside of zones 1 & 2 (the comfort zones):

- Bonus points for taking the Emirates Air Line (if DLR is allowed)
- Landing on a Heathrow station allows for a free flight to London City (again, if DLR is allowed)
- Landing on or passing through pre-defined football related stations (Wembley, Arsenal, Tottenham Court Road, Tottenham Hale, etc) to carry extra weight

This game has so much potential!
Thank you C, I'm delighted that this has been so well received! I'm more than happy for this to be adapted by anyone who wants for use in TFL, 'classic' FPL, or even cross platforms if this proves successful.

To make it crystal clear, I've added to the rules that the DLR, Overground and Emirate Air Line is absolutely allowed. As for possible bonuses, I shall consider it and get back to you in due course...

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bspittles wrote:
Tacalabala wrote:
Strictly speaking, you can. But only by travelling anti-clockwise :-D
Yes, that is true. Am I to assume that your target for the foreseeable will be the West End? :lol:

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Plan for GW01
Line: Central Line
Direction of Travel: Westbound (via Bank)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Can I have clarification about Stratford International? Can I get to both Stratford High Street and Pudding Mill Lane without changing?

Also, what happens if a player doesn't specify a path at a junction? I'm thinking about bouncebacks on a double game week, where heading South on the District Line to Wimbledon might unexpectedly result in heading North towards either Paddington or Victoria.

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Plan for GW01
Line: Central
Direction of Travel: Westbound
Branches or junctions: Ealing Broadway
Last edited by Brightwater on 20 Feb 2014, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bspittles wrote:Can I have clarification about Stratford International? Can I get to both Stratford High Street and Pudding Mill Lane without changing?
Yes, as you aren't changing line, though obviously you have to include that in your plan.
Also, what happens if a player doesn't specify a path at a junction? I'm thinking about bouncebacks on a double game week, where heading South on the District Line to Wimbledon might unexpectedly result in heading North towards either Paddington or Victoria.
Again, that is where the plan really is quite important. You must state on the plan where you intend to go on bouncebacks. My policy will be that if you don't state it on your plan, then you must follow the route from where you came, so if I started at Victoria and scored 122pts in consecutive weeks, but didn't state on my plan for the second week where I wanted to go, it is assumed that I will be heading back to Victoria (and beyond). Obviously, I would be stupid because I would have effectively wasted a GW of travel.

I will include this in the rules in a moment.

topcat24
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FISO Premier League H2H Winner 2013/14

Post by topcat24 »

Plan for GW01
Line: Hammersmith & City
Direction of Travel: West (via Moorgate)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Two travellers landing on the same station could incur a penalty or earn a reward.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

@ Calvin1979 & Bspittles - I have considered the idea of bonus points for visiting selected stations and other things but I feel that given the short time frame for this sidegame that it would be better to keep things simple. However, if someone were to go ahead with a full version of this, it would certainly be something that would add to the game.

As for the issue of the Emirates Air Line, please see the new rules added in the OP, in particular points 4 and 5 of restrictions in planning. In short, the EAL will be treated as a branch of the DLR.

Multiple Scorgasms
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Multiple Scorgasms »

ok, when it comes to anything related to directions/geography I am void of ability :oops:

Can I clarify. Say I chose to start at liverpool street going westbound on central line and score 35 points to get to chancery Lane. I have to start my next Journey from chancery lane correct? If I got 40 points and finished at holborn, I again have to start my journey from Holborn but I could change lines to the Northern line?

Great game so thanks for putting together. Another idea for next season would be that someone not in the game selects a station at random to be worth bonus points. At the end of the season this is revealed and whoever landed on it receives bonus points. Would be fun if someone thought they had won until person in second place gets bonus points for landing at the station :D

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Can we have a rule for Bank/Monument change please?

[Edit, on rereading, I think rule 5 covers]

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Multiple Scorgasms wrote:ok, when it comes to anything related to directions/geography I am void of ability :oops:

Can I clarify. Say I chose to start at liverpool street going westbound on central line and score 35 points to get to chancery Lane. I have to start my next Journey from chancery lane correct? If I got 40 points and finished at holborn, I again have to start my journey from Holborn but I could change lines to the Northern line?

Great game so thanks for putting together. Another idea for next season would be that someone not in the game selects a station at random to be worth bonus points. At the end of the season this is revealed and whoever landed on it receives bonus points. Would be fun if someone thought they had won until person in second place gets bonus points for landing at the station :D
You are correct, but please do take into account any branches up ahead in your plan for the next GW, you clearly don't want to find yourself stuck somewhere (insert your own joke there :D).

Multiple Scorgasms
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Multiple Scorgasms »

Plan for GW01
Start Station:Liverpool Street
Line:Central
Direction of Travel: East
Branches or junctions:Towards Wanstead

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Ultimate FPL”