To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Family car

A forum for discussion on motoring topics.
Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Family car

Post by Ironfist »

Probably better here than in the Parenting section... but I was planning to get a new car that fits 3 baby sits in the back seat, not an (mini-)SUV and that does have a 4x4 capability... set my sights on Subaru Outback. Am actually looking at a 2.5Ltr petrol engine as I can't get the diesel one here in Israel.

Anyone got any experience with this car? Other options?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Re: Family car

Post by WilBert »

The Skoda Yeti is growing on me.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/choosing-a- ... -tow-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Audi A4 or Skoda Superb?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Bit tight in the back of an A4 for 3 kid seats, but the Superb is a great car. Drove one across Ireland just before Christmas. Big, but nice to drive and nice interior.
Can get 4wd as well.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

The Skoda's are not 4x4 and the Audi A4 allroad quattro is very nice but expensive...

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

you can get a Superb 4x4...or do you mean not in Israel?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/skoda/s ... ew/1218566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

You can get the Skoda in 4x4, but maybe not in Israel?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Are they elephant proof though?

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

tommymooney wrote:you can get a Superb 4x4...or do you mean not in Israel?
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/skoda/s ... ew/1218566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unc.si. wrote:You can get the Skoda in 4x4, but maybe not in Israel?
Don't know... haven't seen one here, especially the 4x4 type which are almost a must have here... mostly because people love them here.
Anyhow... this is what the Top Gear chaps wrote about the Superb Estate:

"It's a bit of a... minicab, isn't it?" interjected my friend after I spent 20 minutes extolling the virtues of the Skoda Superb.

I suspect this was not a compliment. But, in Superb World, it's surely a ringing endorsement. I mean, what does a cabbie desire of his minicab? Cheap to buy and run, hectares of space, able to do a million miles without complaint. Admirable aims.

The Superb ticks all the taxi-boxes, especially with the new 104bhp Greenline III diesel, the ultra-frugal highlight of this gentle mid-life update. It's parsimonious enough to please even the most miserly minicabbist, officially returning 66mpg. Real-world, you'll get 750 miles on a tank, which, on a miles-per-gallon-per-cubic-metre basis, must make this Superb the greenest car on the planet.

For this thing is vast. Skoda claims class-leading luggage and leg space: there's enough room in the back for a family of elephants and their suitcases.

Even without elephants on board, this Superb is wonderfully, woefully slow. But that's good: it means, like a cabbie on a 4am airport run, you concentrate your attention on carrying every last jot of speed. At this point you'll discover the Superb's brakes are not as strong as you might like. But what cabbie ever uses the brakes unless strictly necessary?

Verdict: It's vast, it barely drinks any fuel, it'll never break and it'll give you change out of 23 grand. Embrace your inner cabbie. You know you want to.

Stats: 1598cc, 4cyl TD, FWD, 104bhp, 184lb ft, 65.7mpg, 113g/km CO2, 0-62mph in 12.3secs, 121mph, 1541kg, £22,760

:|

But I'll contact the Skoda dealer tomorrow and see what he says...

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

You planning to drive your family round or participate in rallys? :wink:

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

It's hard to explain without getting into explanations about cultural differences, but we go off road a lot here with the entire family. I'll be getting a call tomorrow from the Skoda dealer and see what he has to offer.

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

Based on that, why would any Israeli dealer sell a car that's not a 4x4?

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Costs...
Not all drivers have families...
Personal preferences...
Regulations...

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Have been to the Skoda dealer today and learned that the Superb station 4x4 diesel is not imported to Israel... :(

Back to the Subaru dealership then... :)

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

After speaking to some 15 dealers and getting some good advice from one of the FISO members... got an excellent offer from the Nissan dealer for the Qashqai+2.

Second runner was the incredible but pricey Ford S-Max, but the Ford dealers were acting as if they're selling gold plated Aston Martins. :roll:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The thread needs re-titling, those aren't cars, they are minibuses.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

@murf - Ford S-Max is classic family car, a minivan. (Well a family of 2+3 plus pram & shopping and dog(s))...
The Qashqai is a mini-SUV and also a family car. They are anything but minibuses...

I might need to apply some pressure on the Nissan dealer tomorrow, as after a bit more research I found out that the Qashqai+2 is a dead model... :o :? it is not produced anymore and the last stocks are being replaced by the new Nissan X-Trail... thus, if I buy a Qashqai+2, in 3 years when it's time to replace the car, I'll have an outdated model with newer ones already 2 years old, ie a huge drop in second hand value.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

I got a great deal offer yesterday and based on some (non-related) business deal tomorrow, I'll know whether I'm going through with it or not.

The car is the Chevrolet Orlando...

It's a decent car but I'm getting it from an Avis dealer. This was supposed to be a leasing car, but the client reneged on the deal and Avis was offering it for sale. It has 0 miles (well 5 actually), so effectively I won't be a first hand owner rather, a brand new car as a second-hand owner. So the price was dropped by 20% to represent that drop in car value.

It's a 7-seater with a 2.0L economic diesel engine (163bhp) and the only thing which slightly worries me is that it's black. Here in Israel a black car can get somewhat hot during the summer... but that really is only a negligible hindrance.

From the Chevrolet site...
What Car review...

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Ironfist wrote:After speaking to some 15 dealers and getting some good advice from one of the FISO members... got an excellent offer from the Nissan dealer for the Qashqai+2.

Have given in... getting this. Signed the dealership contract yesterday and to do all the financial side tomorrow or the day after.
It's a 2.0Ltr, 7 seats, 4x4 drive in metallic red (as in pic above)... :roll:

If all goes well will get the car in 2-3 weeks.
Just another bit of craziness before the twins arrive...

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Ironfist wrote:If all goes well will get the car in 2-3 weeks.
Just another bit of craziness before the twins arrive...
Has it arrived yet?

Just bought a Qashqai myself (not +2). Comfortable to drive, decent mpg and lots of space. We went away for the weekend with our three year old, our four month old and our two month old niece. The wife had plenty of room in the back between two child seats and boot easily housed a twin buggy, two suitcases and some other bits. Unfortunately mine didn't come with those lovely roof rails but I've managed to source a cosmetic pair off eBay.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Got a Quashquai as a hire car at the moment. Nice to drive. Not a eff clue what all the buttons etc do though.

Keeps beeping at me at random times, there's an orange light that goes off every now and then near the wing mirror and it seems compelled to keep showing me a video of the side of the car when I get too close to the hedge.

Nice to drive, but waaay too many gadgets. Really, I just want to drive the thing. Any idea how to turn them all off?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:Got a Quashquai as a hire car at the moment. Nice to drive. Not a eff clue what all the buttons etc do though.

Keeps beeping at me at random times, there's an orange light that goes off every now and then near the wing mirror and it seems compelled to keep showing me a video of the side of the car when I get too close to the hedge.

Nice to drive, but waaay too many gadgets. Really, I just want to drive the thing. Any idea how to turn them all off?
Had a big Volvo the other week. Kept beeping at me when I was going around a curve thinking I was going to crash into parked cars on the opposite side of the road. Almost got tempted to do it......

Didn't need the key to start it and didn't have a handbrake. Completely ****ing ridiculous especially as it also took me ages to figure out how to just change the radio station.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

It was beeping like mad at lunchtime - however the systems work they're really not designed for singletrack Highland roads. It just constantly thinks I'm going to crash.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

unc.si. wrote:It was beeping like mad at lunchtime - however the systems work they're really not designed for singletrack Highland roads. It just constantly thinks I'm going to crash.
Possible reason 1: The beeping may be due to something on the front passenger seat. Anything heavier than a laptop and the car thinks it's a passenger without a seat belt on.

Possible reason 2: Sharp bend warning which goes off when the Connect detects you're approaching one at a certain speed. Can be disabled by turning off the POI alerts.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Motoring Forum”